It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
(male)

oddman01 HB User
Question Allergy to printer ink

My wife is apparently allergic to printer ink, with symptoms including swelling of the upper lip (both sides) and flaring-up of a discoloured patch on her upper leg. On some occasions, she has widespread hives and itching. Her GP and an allergist to whom she has been referred are dismissive - they acknowledge that she is suffering an allergic reaction, but they dismiss printer ink as a possible cause. They are looking for other more obvious causes with proven clinical evidence. My wife can no longer read newspapers, magazines or documents printed on a laser or bubble-jet printer, although she seems to have little problem with published books.

Could readers please let me know of any clinical evidence (preferably published results of trials or epidemiological studies) that demonstrate the existence of allergic reactions to printer ink. This seems to be necessary for my wife's doctors to acknowledge and begin thinking about possible treatment. It would also be useful to know of there are physicians who are researching and/or treating this allergy.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
Re: Allergy to printer ink

I could not disagree MORE with your physicians because I have trouble with some magazine covers and I know when my crosswords arrive in the mail, I have to tear the front cover off or stick the book in the back yard to let it air out. I tear the cover out.

Go look up vasomotor rhinitis - not allergic rhinitis-and you will see it is a condition that people have who are sensitive to chemicals like perfume, ink and the likes. Many times it walks hand in hand with allergic rhinitis, but maybe no always.

There are allergists and there are allergists, so please get another opinion and even if one tells you that allergy injections will not help, that is not true! I receive an injection and it does help. I had an allergist mess me up with all of this, so am really speaking from experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to danabarb For This Useful Post:
lfried101 (05-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I just reread your message and forgot to tell you that I can read a book and have no trouble, but the ink on magazines sends me to the moon. So, I assume one can be allergic to one type of ink and maybe not the other. Ink is strong, strong stuff as is oil base paint and the chemical under new rugs.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
(female)

lfried101 HB User

I would be interested in know more about this.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Am surprised as this is a rather common allergy to newsprint. Most people bake their newspapers in the oven on very low heat for a few minutes to help with this.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

I have tried everything to deal with my allergies to printer ink and paper. Nothing worked!

When the Kindle came along, it made me very happy. I LOVE my Kindle. Now I can read everything that I want to read, without a mask or gloves!

The few "important" items that come in the mail and can cause me problems, my wife scans into the computer first so I can read it on my PC or transfer it to my Kindle, or, if I want to read it immediately, I use gloves and a mask.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 05-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
(female)

lfried101 HB User

Sounds like.a good solution.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

look up vasomotor rhinitis to read more about it.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
(female)

brenco63 HB User

Hi
I wrote a post about my allergy to printer ink and would like to say that some doctors seem to look for anything other than the simple reasons.
I had an allergic reaction last week and again this morning. Today was not that bad as I am now careful not to touch the wet ink.
However I printed a lot today and my ears blocked up which is a sure sign of an allergic reaction.
Last week I had bad contact dermatitis to the wet ink.
I have been diagnosed with vasometer rhinitis and it is difficult as I never really know what will set me off. I always carry cortisone and antihistamines around with me.
I would welcome any suggestions.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have this same problem. Ink in books does not bother me, yet, but covers of magazines can drive me nuts and so can those ads that are put in papers; it is the shiny stuff that seems to bother me. I get crossword puzzles in the mail and the minute they arrive, I tear off the covers and put the book out to dry. After it has sat out or in my garage for a time, I can use one of the books, but with NO covers. Your wife has vasomotor rhinitis and it often runs hand in hand with allergic rhinitis. If you look it up on the Internet, I think you will see that they say it cannot be treated. HOWEVER, I LOVE to sew and when some dr. took me off my allergy injections, I, literally, could not walk into a fabric store. Now, that I am back on my injections, I can. now, that does not mean to say, that I am going to ask for a job there, but, at least I can look at the fabric, have it cut and get out. Vasomotor rhinitis is an allergic reaction to chemicals such as ink, sizing on fabric and perfumes and other stuff. If I were you, I would find another allergist to get a second opinion. Good luck and feel free to ask me anything. If I can help, I gladly will. In the meantime, my crossword puzzle book, which arrived the other day is in my garage until it gets aired out and the covers are in the trash-right where they belong!

Old 11-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
(female)

brenco63 HB User

I have found that my allergies are much worse if I am tired or am stressed for some reason.
My work environment at the moment is much better than the last place. There they had not cleaned the carpets for 10 years and would not do so. I had far more allergies there.
Thanks for your input. My partner just bought me an ipad and I also have a kindle so I consider myself very lucky although I have not found a reaction to printed books yet.
I have been diagnosed with vasometer rhinitis but there is not much one can do about that.

Closed Thread