It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
(female)

sharon1983 HB User
How to deal with dust allergy?

It is winter time and I feel air conditioner gave me severe headache.

I was tested as dust allergy? Can anyone tell me how to deal with this kind of allergy? Any environments I should avoid? like subway, street, carpet, air conditioner? Is there a cure? Thank you all!

Old 12-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: How to deal with dust allergy?

If you have vents in your house, be sure they are clean. If necessary, a professional can come vacuum them out.

Keep the house clean by dusting with a damp rag or static duster, never use a feather duster because it just moves things around. If you must do the cleaning yourself, wear a mask and shower immediately afterward.

Keep the house and especially your bedroom plain and simple. Hard floors are best. Avoid carpeting, heavy drapes, ornaments and clutter, as they attract dust.

The bed itself is a major source of dust. You may want to purchase some dust-proof covers for the bed and pillows. I got some that are very fine fabric, cost about $100. The sheets should be washed in hot water every week, to kill the dust mites.

A daily antihistamine can help a lot, although you might have to try a few different medicines to find one that works well without unpleasant side effects.

As a long term solution, you may want to consider allergy shots. You go get a shot every week for several months, then it drops to once a month. It takes a while to start working, but it can make a big difference in the long run.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
(female)

sharon1983 HB User

Thank you so much, dear friend.
you answered all my questions so well. Thank you.

It also good to know you had the anti-reflux surgery, which I'm considering to have seriously. I'm starting to get tests done and find a surgeon, but I still don't know how to find a good one.

Wish you all the best. Happy holidays~

Old 12-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

I feel your pain, I have a dust allergy too. In addition to keeping the house clean, I have also found HEPA filters to be very helpful. I have one next to my bed and one on my desk at work.

Closed Thread