HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Allergies (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/)
-   -   am i allergic to my boyfriend? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/883012-am-i-allergic-my-boyfriend.html)

Medusa1982 12-26-2011 03:39 AM

am i allergic to my boyfriend?

Hi everyone - seasons greetings to you all!

Thanks very much for clicking on this thread - I'm getting pretty desperate for help so any advice would be gratefully received.

I've recently started a relationship with a really great guy and everything is going fantastically well apart from one significant problem - I think I'm allergic to him!

Everytime we spend the night together I wake up the next morning with inbearably itchy eyes which then develop into full on allergic conjunctivitis - bright red, itchy with swollen eyelids and eczema all around my eyelids. The symptoms seem to take about four days to clear up and then they flare up again as soon as I spend the night with him again. they don't seem to react when we spend time together - it's only when we've slept in the same bed.

I've been to three different doctors and I now have some medication which seems to be helping control the symptoms (steroid eye drops, antihistamine eyedrops, hydroquarterzone cream and diprobase) but they aren't preventing the flare ups each time I sleep with him.

We've tried to eliminate everything we can think of which might be causing the reaction - washing detergent, bodywash, deoderant, cologne etc - but nothing seems to be working.

Do you think it's possible that I'm actually allergic to my boyfriend?

I'm due to see an allergist quite soon but would really appreciate any advice you may have in the meantime as I'm getting pretty desperate and it's interfering with my work.

Many thanks once again!

Titchou 12-26-2011 06:01 PM

Re: am i allergic to my boyfriend?

Have you washed the sheets and other bedding in hot water and bought allergy covers for the mattress and pillows? are you taking an antihistamine(zyrtec for example) before you go to his place?

danabarb 12-27-2011 09:57 AM

Does he have a pillow with feathers in it? If so, that could be your problem.

rosequartz 12-27-2011 11:02 AM

are you eating the same thing each time?
I had a similar situation, that I thought I was allergic to something in an old boyfriends house because i would be breaking out in hives and itching when I spent the night........then one time the same thing happened at my house when he stayed over......we finally figured out the common denominator......
we were ordering pizza with onions on it and I'm allergic to onions!
boy was he relieved when we realized that!

Misty800 12-29-2011 12:26 PM

Wool blankets and/or feather pillows may cause allergic reaction.

I had to remove wool and feathers completely out of the bedroom or end up with a horrible allergic reaction.

Are there pets in his house?

Crazy mama 10-06-2012 11:40 AM

[QUOTE=Medusa1982;4899582]Hi everyone - seasons greetings to you all!

Thanks very much for clicking on this thread - I'm getting pretty desperate for help so any advice would be gratefully received.

I've recently started a relationship with a really great guy and everything is going fantastically well apart from one significant problem - I think I'm allergic to him!

Everytime we spend the night together I wake up the next morning with inbearably itchy eyes which then develop into full on allergic conjunctivitis - bright red, itchy with swollen eyelids and eczema all around my eyelids. The symptoms seem to take about four days to clear up and then they flare up again as soon as I spend the night with him again. they don't seem to react when we spend time together - it's only when we've slept in the same bed.

I've been to three different doctors and I now have some medication which seems to be helping control the symptoms (steroid eye drops, antihistamine eyedrops, hydroquarterzone cream and diprobase) but they aren't preventing the flare ups each time I sleep with him.

We've tried to eliminate everything we can think of which might be causing the reaction - washing detergent, bodywash, deoderant, cologne etc - but nothing seems to be working.

Do you think it's possible that I'm actually allergic to my boyfriend?

I'm due to see an allergist quite soon but would really appreciate any advice you may have in the meantime as I'm getting pretty desperate and it's interfering with my work.

Many thanks once again![/QUOTE]

Any luck finding answers? I have the exact same problem. Even the dr's have no clue.

danabarb 10-06-2012 11:49 AM

What about the fabric he is wearing? If he is wearing a new shirt or the likes, there is sizing on it and until it is washed, if you are sensitive to chemicals, you will continue to have this problem. I wash ALL washable fabrics before putting them on. Does he take his suits to the cleaner? If so, maybe the chemical that is used to clean them or his shirts is bothering you. If you are allergic to chemicals you have vasomotor rhinitis, which runs hand in hand with allergic rhinitis and can be very frustrating. Doe he have new rug where he lives? If so, that is a red flag.

Liquidplasma 10-07-2012 07:15 AM

It could be anything from his soap, shampoo, deorderant,hair spray, clothes, plants or trees in his yard or neighbors, pets the list is long