It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
(male)

leandro12 HB User
itchy arms, mostly left, sometimes right

I too go through the same drill. my left arm itches (sometimes the right one joins in) about 30% of the time, day or night, summer or winter. It started a year ago. at times the itch vanishes for weeks, but then it always come back. Ice or any gel that cools off my skin helps a bit. Someone mentioned that the symptom could be linked to thyroid issues. My thyroid is a bit lazy so I supplement it with synthroid. Let me know if someone finds a cure for this thing. My sympathies to all out there suffering from this, we should all go to heaven.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:42 AM   #2
(female)

Silmarienne HB User
Re: itchy arms, mostly left, sometimes right

I've had this for almost ten years. Here is how I cope.
  1. Capsicum cream is the best! (Capsaicin or generic) Takes about 15 minutes to kick in, but relief can last for days. And it's not a drug.
  2. Corticosteroidal cream works SOMETIMES. (betamethasone dipropionate)
  3. Don't itch. Discipline yourself to NOT ITCH. It just makes it worse. Okay, if you MUST itch, use a 100% natural bristle hairbrush (which won't damage skin), not plastic bristles.
  4. Find a way to release or relieve stress through prayer, meditation, whatever.
Sometimes it will go away for several months, sometimes it makes me crazy. The more I'm at peace with it, the better I am. Last night I couldn't sleep because of one tiny, fierce point of itchiness. I got up, applied capsicum cream, and was able to go back to bed and sleep because I know in my mind the cream works and itching doesn't help.

Mine is pretty much always stress-related.

Hang in there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
(female)

julianne1 HB User
Smile Re: itchy arms

I am a 62 year old, healthy female who began having the itchy arms problem about a month ago. My arms started itching day and night, almost non-stop. although there was NO RASH. I scratched them until they had little irritated whelps that were bleeding from scratching them so much! Anyway, I read the older "closed" thread on this site regarding this issue and ruled out several possibilities, leaving a few ideas to try. Someone suggested that a Vitamin B12 deficiency could be causing the itchy arms, so I decided to give the idea a try.
The other suggestion was to use witch hazel to soothe the itch. After taking 100 mcg of vitamin B12 at night and spraying my arms with witch hazel a couple of times a day, my itchy arms are now 98% under control! It probably took a week or so before I really noticed a difference. I poured the witch hazel in a small spray bottle and just spray it on my arms when I get dressed in the morning, then rub it on with my hand and pat it dry. (It smells a little strange, but I asked friends at work if they notice the smell and they said they don't.) I also do the same thing at night before I go to bed. I guess I will keep using the witch hazel for a while and then leave it off and see how it goes. The same with the Vitamin B12. I think it is supposed to give you more energy anyway!!!
Hope this helps someone else out there!!!!!

Closed Thread