It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
(male)

wowzers HB User
I sneeze every morning.

I sneeze almost every morning when I wake up, but usually only when my alarm is set. On the weekends I usually wake up with a pretty clear head. I don’t know what the correlation is between waking up (when my body doesn’t want me to) and sneezing is, but I do also have allergies. I’m allergic to cats and many dogs, dust and pollen. My “allergies” (read: sneezing) are only bad in the mornings usually.

The odd part about my morning troubles is that as I lie in bed after waking up, I can breathe through my nose and am fine; but after I get up and start moving around, my nose starts running and doesn’t stop until I sneeze a dozen times in a row or something, which is usually an hour or so after I get out of bed. I’ve wondered if maybe my nose has something tickling inside of it vs. concentrated allergy problems that causes this problem?

I also own a true HEPA filter which is supposed to help for allergies. I have noticed some mornings I have no allergy problems, so I can say the purifier does have some impact but doesn’t seem to help every morning, which is a bit odd.

Lastly, I’ve been to a doctor and they usually recommend OTC drugs, although I have taken prescription meds before with no fantastic results. Is there anything more I can do other than take a Zyrtec and use a HEPA purifier? Any idea what the issue is with my nose? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by wowzers; 02-08-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: I sneeze every morning.

Typical allergy situation. Welcome to the club. You could try a benedryl at bedtime and see if that helps. If not, then maybe a saline spray when you first get up? Assume you've done the mattress and pillow covers...

Old 02-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

That's been my morning routine my whole life. I used to sneeze a lot during the day as well but Allegra has taken care of that. Maybe take your allergy medicine before bed?

Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
(male)

wowzers HB User

Thanks for the replies. I don't take an allergy medicine currently. I used to take Clarinex in college but it lost its effectiveness as I got older, and Zyrtec actually gives me insomnia. I also have a prescription for Veramyst, but every time I take it in the morning, my runny nose either depletes it from my nasal cavities or I sneeze it out, so I don't use that very often either.

I haven't taken Claritin or Allegra before. Should I try those? Would an allergist suggest anything other than an air purifier or some OTC drug? I'm almost convinced my air purifier is of no help as it constantly runs showing the air in the "cleanest" state, and my allergies persist. I am still in my 30 days of purchasing, so I may return. Has an air purifier helped any of you guys before?

Old 02-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

I've been on every allergy medicine under the sun at some point. Claritin, Allegra, Zyrtec, Singulair, etc. Claritin didn't do anything for me, Zyrtec worked for a few years. Allegra has worked the best for me.

I think it's worth trying some more OTC medicines, one might work for you. I also take Singulair before bed to help with allergies and asthma, but that is prescription.

Closed Thread