It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
(female)

Artemis95 HB User
Unhappy Allergies or GERD...?

Hi, I'm a 16 year old female. I've been sick for a week and a half already. It all started with post-nasal drip, and a day or two later my chest started feeling really tight, like someone was sitting on top of me or squeezing my chest. It's hard to describe, I had never had it before. Then I started breathing really fast while sitting, but it seemed to calm down after a day or two. I never had any wheezing. It's been around 10 days already and I've been coughing a lot, so much that my throat is now irritated and my voice is hoarse.

Since Ibuprofen didn't work (it has always worked and I recover quickly), I went to the doctor and he gave me meds, two of them being Singulair and Advair Diskus (probably due to my chest complaints). Now the problem is whenever I go to bed and lay down, a few minutes later my throat starts itching A LOT, but it's in the pharynx region, not the back of the throat, so no matter how much I cough, the intense itching doesn't go away and it makes me cough even more, to the point I ended up throwing up the Singulair pill I had taken minutes earlier. This happened the same day I went to the doctor and no such thing had ever happened to me before, so this is a completely new thing to me.
I should also mention when I get up to try to prevent throwing up, it doesn't help at all, it doesn't get better. It's a single itch but more intense than anything I've ever experienced.

I searched around the web a bit and some people say this could be GERD (gastric reflux). I have no heartburn whatsoever, I've had it a couple times before and I would recognize it immediately. I don't feel the acid coming up from the stomach either, all I feel is a sudden, intense itch that brings tears to my eyes and makes me throw up. Today the same happened again, I lay down and this horrible itch is back again. I almost threw up but somehow managed to hold it together (phew!). Yesterday, after throwing up I went back to bed, laid down and slept with no more problems the rest of the night, but today I don't wanna risk going to bed and having that horrible itch make me throw up again! I just took Singulair, I don't wanna throw up this one too! :/

Can anyone help me here? what could be causing this? My mom just says "oh that's normal! Cough gets worse at night", but is it really?

I don't have any allergies, none that I know of. I've had dogs in the house since I was 5, never had problems with other people's cats either (I would know, since my brother is allergic and he sneezes, wheezes and coughs, I never had that). I get sick once or twice a year, and I always recover in less than a week. I've always considered myself a "healthy/normal" person. So what could this be? Can anyone suddenly develop allergies from being sick?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Allergies or GERD...?

Both allergies and GERD are chronic conditions, and you've had this less than 2 weeks. It could just be a bad virus.

It is normal for a cough to get worse at night. Coughing until you throw up is a bit unusual, though not unheard-of. It happened to me once from a cold.

Try a gargle or mouthwash to ease the tickle in the throat. Something with sugar like a cough drop can help, or my doctor once recommended a mixture of listerine and hydrogen peroxide before bed.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
I think it could be a side effect of your medication.
I use two medications myself for Asthma and both cause me dryness at the back of my throat at times even though I use a Volumatic-Device. What you describe is more likely irritation than itching.
Like jane said you can try a gargle/mouthwash. I find warm milk with some honey quite soothing. If it continues let your Dr know as it could be a reaction to the medication .
All the best,

Solofelix.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
I think it could be a side effect of your medication.
I use two medications myself for Asthma and both cause me dryness at the back of my throat at times even though I use a Volumatic-Device. What you describe is more likely irritation than itching.
Like jane said you can try a gargle/mouthwash. I find warm milk with some honey quite soothing. If it continues let your Dr know as it could be a reaction to the medication .
All the best,

Solofelix.

Closed Thread