It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
(female)

Daniiii HB User
Curiosity about developing allergies

I have a curiosity question. My mother is allergic to penicillin, my father has allergies to nothing, and when I was young I got a rash when I took penicillin, so I avoid it. Other than that I have seasonal allergies that I don't take anything for, and no known allergies to food.

I've heard about people becoming allergic to foods later on in their life. When this happens, is it severe? I always carry benedryl with me just in case, but I get conflicting info. One doctor tells me not to worry, the other said it could happen to anyone. I'm looking for advice from real people with allergies, as I've always found these boards helpful. Thanks!

Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Curiosity about developing allergies

Yes, you can develop allergies to anything at any age. Early adulthood and menopause are common times for women to develop new allergies.

Good news is, normally a food allergy does NOT produce a severe reaction the first time. If you get a rash, itchy/swollen lips, etc, take Benadryl, avoid the cause if you know what the cause is, and then make an appointment with an allergist.

If you keep eating a food that you are allergic to, the reactions MIGHT get worse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
(female)

Daniiii HB User

Thank you very much. That's what I was looking for.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
(female)

Kimesie HB UserKimesie HB UserKimesie HB User

There are two kind of allergies that a person can develop at any time, immediate reactions that occur within 2 hours of exposure and delayed reactions which show up hours up to days after exposure. Either type can have severe symptoms, but the immediate life threatening ones are the first type. The delayed reactions are often difficult to figure out and there are many conditions, especially autoimmune diseases, but also tiredness and mental symptoms that can be caused by the foods a person is eating.

My husband has had seasonal asthma since he was a boy and since he never had symptoms in the winter we didn't realize for many years that he has two triggers - pollen, and milk. When he stopped consuming dairy products, he no longer had any asthma during the pollen season, so don't assume that your seasonal symptoms are not caused in part by food.

Last edited by Kimesie; 03-08-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
(female)

Daniiii HB User

Hmm. I did think for a while that I was allergic to dairy also, but a few years back I had some skin tests done and the only thing I was positive for was like, maple pollen, dogs and horses.

Thank you

Old 03-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
(female)

Kimesie HB UserKimesie HB UserKimesie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniiii View Post
Hmm. I did think for a while that I was allergic to dairy also, but a few years back I had some skin tests done and the only thing I was positive for was like, maple pollen, dogs and horses.

Thank you
Skin tests only work for immediate reactions. You have to have a blood test (ELISA) or do an elimination diet for delayed reactions.

Last edited by Kimesie; 03-08-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
(female)

Daniiii HB User

I'm just starting to realize theres many different allergy tests out there huh. I probably should have mentioned (I'm sorry I'm just realizing this now) that I haven't had any reaction to anything, I haven't ever gotten hives or anything close to that. I was just curious because I'm beginning to become very concerned when I eat that what I'm eating could be something I've just developed an allergy to and am not aware. I'm not talking like, eating sea urchin and other exotic things (though I did have sea urchin once, very gross) I mean just, in my home, eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I was just curious as to how these things come about so I could know what to look for, instead of going into meals totally clueless and stressing myself out. Thanks

Old 03-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

A blood test is the normal one for food allergies. Skin test ones are better for environmental ones. And with most of either, you'll have a lighter reaction the first time around if you already been exposed to it. That is, if you have eaten it before, you'd probably have a slight reaction the first time. If you've never had it before, you could have a more heavy one.

Closed Thread