It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tucson
Posts: 3
bluepony2000 HB User
Fragrance Sensitivity

Hi all;

My step-daughter has taken to using what I perceive to be very strong fragrances. The fragrances are in every product she uses, shampoo, body wash, sprays, perfumes, etc, picture typical hip teenager to the extreme. Just in the last year every time she walks past me or I go near her room or bathroom I get an instant headache. Shortly after I get an acrid chemical taste in my mouth and my throat gets dry. Shortly thereafter I get dizzy and detached. Sometimes the reaction is accompanied by nausea. As time goes on the sensitivity seems to be increasing in that it takes less exposure to trigger a worse reaction. I have had a constant headache for the past six months. My wife and daughter both think I'm crazy. My wife even said that its psychosomatic because I "act like I hate my step-daughter." Everyone in my house thinks I'm crazy or evil, but I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired all the time. How could one possibly be in a good mood or friendly with a jackhammer on your head all the time?

Yesterday she did her usual dosing of chemicals, then set to work on her nails. Instant headache, dizzyness, horrible taste in my mouth, then came the nausea. I was truly debilitated all day long.

Now for the wierd part. My wife's shampoo, soap, makeup and perfume didn't have any effect on me at all. Until recently, the perfume is beginning to cause a reaction, and one of her lotions effects me, but this has only begun in the last few days. I feel like I'm gradually being poisoned.

Is it the teenagers boundless quantity of fragrance that has brought on the issue?

Is it the fact that she mixes so many different types of products?

Are there chemicals in the "hip" teen products that make them more toxic?

Are there common chemicals between the nail polish, remover, shampoo, body wash, perfume, or is this even relevant?

I feel like I need to move out, wife and kid won't acknowledge the problem, but I'm becoming a prisoner to these poisons. Maybe I could put a tent in the yard?

Anyway, thanks for listening.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: california usa
Posts: 905
danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
Re: Fragrance Sensitivity

I have the same problem you do, so it is not in your mind. I go nuts when perfume is around me and all sorts of chemicals can drive me nuts. I love to sew and for a time there, I could not even walk into the sewing store to look at fabric due to the chemical that is used to size fabric. However, I have been on allergy injections for some time and things have gotten better. I am still very, very leery of being near perfume, so ask everyone not to use it. As far as the nail issue goes: I also have that problem. There is a very, very strong chemical in nail polish and the remover, so when I go to the place to have my nails done, if someone near me is having all that stuff put on, I have to have the windows opened. At one time, I would lose all my strength around paints, polish and everything I have just mentioned. You definitely have a chemical imbalance and if I were you, I would go see a GOOD allergist. I was told by one allergist that allergy injections would not help, but I found out the hard way that he was way off base.
There are shampoos and the likes that are made for people like myself. I do hope this is of some help and good luck.

 
Old 03-08-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Machaon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fort Laud
Posts: 3,986
Blog Entries: 22
Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Fragrance Sensitivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepony2000 View Post
Hi all;

My step-daughter has taken to using what I perceive to be very strong fragrances. The fragrances are in every product she uses, shampoo, body wash, sprays, perfumes, etc, picture typical hip teenager to the extreme. Just in the last year every time she walks past me or I go near her room or bathroom I get an instant headache. Shortly after I get an acrid chemical taste in my mouth and my throat gets dry. Shortly thereafter I get dizzy and detached. Sometimes the reaction is accompanied by nausea. As time goes on the sensitivity seems to be increasing in that it takes less exposure to trigger a worse reaction. I have had a constant headache for the past six months.
If you pay attention to the allergy medicine commercials, you'll see that they have products for indoor allergies and outdoor allergies. Outdoor allergies are caused by grass, weed and tree pollen; automobile exhausts and other pollutants, etc.

Indoor allergies are caused by chemicals, odors and other inside irritants.

When your body has an allergic reaction, your body produces a bunch of "protective" hormones in defense of the allergy attack. After a while, the continuous pumping of these hormones (chemicals), into your bloodstream, causes all kinds of nasty effect, from nausea, to headaches, to aches and pains, to indigestion, etc.

Quote:
My wife and daughter both think I'm crazy. My wife even said that its psychosomatic because I "act like I hate my step-daughter." Everyone in my house thinks I'm crazy or evil,
They just do not understand the nature of allergies. Allergies just don't stuff up the nose or constrict the breathing or cause a rash. Allergies also cause an excess of "protective" hormones which can make the allergy sufferer sick as a dog.

Quote:
but I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired all the time. How could one possibly be in a good mood or friendly with a jackhammer on your head all the time?

Yesterday she did her usual dosing of chemicals, then set to work on her nails. Instant headache, dizzyness, horrible taste in my mouth, then came the nausea. I was truly debilitated all day long.
I really feel bad for your situation and for your allergy misery. Some people will never accept what they don't understand. Until you can get your family members to understand the basic nature of allergies, you might have to either live in misery, or find a way to get your step-daughter to compromise with you and change her brands of perfumes and makeups.

Quote:
Now for the wierd part. My wife's shampoo, soap, makeup and perfume didn't have any effect on me at all. Until recently, the perfume is beginning to cause a reaction, and one of her lotions effects me, but this has only begun in the last few days. I feel like I'm gradually being poisoned.
You ARE being poisoned. But..... not by the odors from soaps, shampoos, makeup, etc., you are being poisoned by the excess hormones and other chemicals that your body is producing trying to defend you from the odors from soaps, shampoos, makeup, etc.,!

Regarding you getting sensitive to your wife's cosmetics? The basic nature of allergies and your immune system and metabolism is very complex. Allergies are very combinational, in which case, something that did not bother you before, now bothers you because your allergy/allergen load has become too high. Also, long term constant, exposure to the same allergens can make the poor allergy sufferer more sensitive.

Quote:
Is it the teenagers boundless quantity of fragrance that has brought on the issue?

Is it the fact that she mixes so many different types of products?

Are there chemicals in the "hip" teen products that make them more toxic?

Are there common chemicals between the nail polish, remover, shampoo, body wash, perfume, or is this even relevant?
One of the nastiest chemical additive to cosmetics, and many other household products, is Formaldehyde. You could be sensitive to Formaldehyde. Research on the net can detail the large number of household products that contain Formaldehyde. Unfortunately, there other many other Volatile Organic Compounds or VOCs, that are in common, ordinary household products.

Quote:
I feel like I need to move out, wife and kid won't acknowledge the problem, but I'm becoming a prisoner to these poisons. Maybe I could put a tent in the yard?

Anyway, thanks for listening.
I just hope that somehow, someway, you can get them to better understand the nature of allergies. But even if they refuse to accept that allergies ARE REAL, and if they continue to feel that your problem is psychosomatic, perhaps you can get them to humor your "mental problem" and switch to cosmetics and soaps and detergents, etc., that do not make you sick.

Regards, and best of luck and health to you!
__________________
CHF, A-Fib, HBP, Diabetes, Asthma doing great

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 03-08-2012 at 05:18 AM.

 
The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
bluepony2000 (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tucson
Posts: 3
bluepony2000 HB User
Re: Fragrance Sensitivity

Thank you for the help. I took the notion of a formaldehyde allergy and did some research with it. It turns out that each of the products that my daughter uses contains one of these formaldehyde releasers;

quaternium-15
dimethyl-dimethyl DMDM
hydantoin
imidazolinyl urea
diazonolidinyl urea
sodium hydroxymethylglycinate
2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1
3-diol
bronopol

Not to mention the apparently vast amounts of formaldehyde that can be found in nail polishes.

None of my wife's products contained any of these items, and do not seem to contain any formaldehyde releasers.

So this morning I banned the use of these substances, temporarily as an experiment. I still have a lingering headache, but the usual routine of my headache spiking when my daughter does her morning regime seems to be broken. There is no horrible taste in my mouth. Maybe, this is an improvement and not just in my mind.

Thank you for the replies.
Bob

 
Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)
 
Machaon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Fort Laud
Posts: 3,986
Blog Entries: 22
Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Fragrance Sensitivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepony2000 View Post
... I still have a lingering headache ...
Once the offending allergens have been removed from contact or exposure, the inflammation that results from the allergic reactions (and can cause headaches and other nasty health issues) can take a few days before it settles down completely.

By the way, what does blue pony 2000 mean?
__________________
CHF, A-Fib, HBP, Diabetes, Asthma doing great

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 03-08-2012 at 01:47 PM.

 
Old 03-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Newbie
(male)
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tucson
Posts: 3
bluepony2000 HB User
Re: Fragrance Sensitivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
By the way, what does blue pony 2000 mean?
Thanks again for the help. The user name is the result of me being a bit of a car nut, I came up with it for car forums over a decade ago. My toy / project car is a 2000 Atlantic Blue Ford Mustang.

 
Old 03-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 355
sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User
Re: Fragrance Sensitivity

Bluepony--you are doing the right thing--you have to decontaminate your life to see if your health improves. When me and hubby got married and I moved into his home it was a nightmare. Sinus headaches, migraines and just plain getting sick all because they had a freaking zoo of animals and used perfumes and lotions that were disgusting.

In my case--it was not every perfume but when your body goes into overload you are at risk of developing more allergies and weakening your immune system even further--that is not good!

Stand your ground and if the other members of your house can not understand and at least give you the chance to detox to see if that is truly the issue for your bad health, then shame on them for being selfish.

 
Closed Thread




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Allegra
Astelin
Benadryl
Clarinex Claritin
  Flonase
Nasonex
Prednisone
Singulair
Zyrtec




TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Titchou (64), janewhite1 (39), danabarb (17), Machaon (11), MountainReader (10), MeezerWheezer (7), jennybyc (7), ladybud (7), solofelix (6), Liquidplasma (4)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1180), MSJayhawk (1011), Apollo123 (909), Titchou (856), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (761), ladybud (755), midwest1 (669), sammy64 (668), BlueSkies14 (607)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:11 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!