It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 03:15 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: Can allergies (pollen) make you sick to your stomach

Today was a good day because it rained but my eyes were itchy. Yes, I use the netti pot like 4 times a day. I also use saline wipes and solution. I went as far as taking a DNA Sensativity test at my doctors to see what prescription and OTC meds I am allergic to. So I am safe with claritan. I am juicing my veggies and they say Apples are the best for allergies. I love accupuncture.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

One small thing: Certain fruits cause Oral allergy syndrome, itchy mouth. It's because something in the fruit is very similar to the allergen in pollen grains.

If your mouth itches when you eat fruits like strawberries or cantelope, avoid it during allergy season. Might help reduce overall allergy symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #18
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User

gigi--glad to hear you use neti-pot, that does help.
Hope you have had some good days--it is not perfect but at least I am not as bad as I was 2 weeks ago.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

So when will this ever end???? My whole family now is experiencing gassy stomachs and I guess this is from the mucus dranaige in the belly. My nose is not stuffy though. You know your going to have a bad day when you wake feeling dizzy, disoriented, and your eyes itch. In order for me just to go get the mail outside, I have to spray constantly as i am leaving the door with saline and wipe my nose with tissue afterward. I feel like a prisoner in my home.

The following user gives a hug of support to gigi11:
sickofpain2 (04-15-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #20
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User

Gosh Gigi--it sound just terrible! I have not read all of your posts but it sounds like you have been suffering for such a long time as well as your children.

Can it be something in your home that is giving you all reactions and not allowing you all to heal?

Things have settled down by me as far as outdoor allergens. I still have moments of being tired but that is a normal reaction, especially barometric pressure shifts--goodness, do not get me started on that topic!

Have you tried any kind of trigger point therapy to help release tension in face, neck, shoulder and sinus areas? Massage techniques like gently pulling your hair? It may be worth doing some internet searches on these topics. Maybe you can find some videos so you can actually see what they are doing and try to duplicate it.

You will know if it is working. At first, it may be uncomfortable and a bit painful, so be gentle. First few times I had these massage techniques done I was amazed at the relief.

Hope you are able to heal--my thoughts are with you!

Old 04-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

The pollen count or level in my area is 12 My state is RED -- my neighbor is really sick. Today my joints hurt and so do my kids. My thumb is tingling because my shoulder hurts from the pollen.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

My eyes hurt today plus my joints. Talked to friends in the area and they have the same complaints.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #23
(female)

ArcticWolf HB User

Well, I've had pollen allergies for a number of years. Before I got shots to treat the symptoms, I often got a flu-like reaction to pollen occasionally. Not to mention the constant sneezing outside. So yeah, I'd definitely say that its possible to get that type of sickness from pollen, considering it used to happen to me. I'd recommend talking with your doctor again about getting some sort of treatment for it if it happens often (by treatment I mean medication, since you can't get shots).

Hope you feel better!

Last edited by ArcticWolf; 06-10-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #24
(female)

Marielyn HB User

The only solution I have found in dealing with Allergies is to take Zyrtec and a prescription nasal spray. I've tried Claritin etc but Zyrtec is the only one that works for me. When I wake up I know if I am going to be sick. I have a sinus headache and my stomach feels queezy. I don't eat or drink anything for a day as I know I won't be able to keep it down. I feel very tired and I sleep for a day. Next day I am fine.

I am allergic to dustmites but I guess that many types of allergies will cause a post nasal drip. I have tried to get rid of dustmites in my house by removing carpets, I steam my bedding in a washing machine each week. I have a bed that can go up so that my sinuses can drain.

Unfortunately I think it is only experimentation to find out what works for each person.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidplasma View Post
Just curious but how is everyone holding up this spring/ summer so far? This year has been just brutal usually I get itchy eyes and sneezing with headaches, this year none of the above. Instead I got a wicked post nasal drip and major sinus pressure in ears and top of nose plus sore throat from post drip. When the drip slows down when I use nasonex and benadryl the sore throat calms down. Worst symptoms I've ever experienced!!!
It has been AWFUL and I a wondering if it will ever end!!! What may help you is to rinse your nose. You can buy the squirt bottle in any pharmacy, but make sure you buy the correct solution because if you don't it is my understanding you can injure the membranes in your note. My ears were driving me nuts as was the sinus pressure and my allergist told me to do this twice a day. If you cannot find one where you live, look on the Internet. There is an ear/nose and throat man from L.A. who sells them.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #26
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User

Just curious but how is everyone holding up this spring/ summer so far? This year has been just brutal usually I get itchy eyes and sneezing with headaches, this year none of the above. Instead I got a wicked post nasal drip and major sinus pressure in ears and top of nose plus sore throat from post drip. When the drip slows down when I use nasonex and benadryl the sore throat calms down. Worst symptoms I've ever experienced!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidplasma View Post
It has been AWFUL and I a wondering if it will ever end!!! What may help you is to rinse your nose. You can buy the squirt bottle in any pharmacy, but make sure you buy the correct solution because if you don't it is my understanding you can injure the membranes in your note. My ears were driving me nuts as was the sinus pressure and my allergist told me to do this twice a day. If you cannot find one where you live, look on the Internet. There is an ear/nose and throat man from L.A. who sells them.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #28
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User

I think it's pollen because I've never ever reacted like this in 36 years.So if it was dust I should also have had it in winter or fall but nothing then. Also it's much much worse when it's hot, humid out

Old 10-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #29
(female)

Portiah HB User

Seasonal allergies can ABSOLUTELY make you sick to your stomach. I have horrible stomach problems when allergies are bad. Sour stomach, gas, bloating, you name it. It's actually very logical - there are different types of histamines. If you look at medications such as Pepcid, Prilosec, etc.., you will see that they are Histamine (H2) antagonists! So obviously when you are experiencing allergies, histamines are released into the bloodstream and the H1 receptors in the body cause more typical allergy symptoms such as sneezing, nasal congestion, itchy eyes, etc., However, the H2 receptors are responsible for gastric acid secretion. Some people, when histamines are released, only experience H1 receptor reactions, but others like me experience H2 receptor reactions. Therefore I have to take H2 antagonist medication, such as Pepcid, to quell my stomach symptoms in addition to taking antihistimines (which primarily only hit the H1 receptor reaction, not the H2 ones).

Old 10-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portiah View Post
Seasonal allergies can ABSOLUTELY make you sick to your stomach. I have horrible stomach problems when allergies are bad. Sour stomach, gas, bloating, you name it. It's actually very logical - there are different types of histamines. If you look at medications such as Pepcid, Prilosec, etc.., you will see that they are Histamine (H2) antagonists! So obviously when you are experiencing allergies, histamines are released into the bloodstream and the H1 receptors in the body cause more typical allergy symptoms such as sneezing, nasal congestion, itchy eyes, etc., However, the H2 receptors are responsible for gastric acid secretion. Some people, when histamines are released, only experience H1 receptor reactions, but others like me experience H2 receptor reactions. Therefore I have to take H2 antagonist medication, such as Pepcid, to quell my stomach symptoms in addition to taking antihistimines (which primarily only hit the H1 receptor reaction, not the H2 ones).
If you go buy some aloe vera at a health food store and take that, your stomach problems will be taken care of and you may be able to do away with the medication. I speak from experience because I was on one Prevacid and when that wore thin, the dr. upped it to two. That is when I went searching for something natural and found aloe vera. I no longer take the medication and have not since taking the aloe vera pill. It also comes in juice.

Closed Thread