It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Can allergies (pollen) make you sick to your stomach

I have a question to all who suffer seasonal allergies. I suffered early this year and my kids did too. We have been to the doctors several times. We are all on prescription nose sprays and clariton non drosy. I even took a dna test for drug sensitivity and I am allowed to take clariton. So anyway, last week I was ok when the tree pollen came out and I do not go outside. I vacuum daily and take showers at night to wash out pollen from my hair. Being on the medicine I don't have a stuffy nose but I do have mucus traveling up and down in my chest. We are all suffering from upset stomach on some occassions. This morning was bad just gas and sour stomach. Sometimes a burning in the chest and then we cough and muscus comes up - The kids and I also feel tired. We have no fevers so it isn't the flu. Just wondering if pollen can cause you to have upset tummy?

Old 03-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Can allergies (pollen) make you sick to your stomach

No, the pollen doesn't cause it - the post nasal drip from the sinuses does...but then, the PND is caused by the allergies so, I guess you could say in a way, that's the cause.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Funny thing is I don't have much of it but my kids have it extreme. We feel so tired. When i cough i feel some mucus but not a whole lot. I feel like someone hit me with a mack truck. My neighborhood is surrounded with trees and they are blooming. I hate spring!

The following user gives a hug of support to gigi11:
janewhite1 (03-19-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yep, there's a lot to hate about spring.

You could consider allergy shots, they have helped me a lot.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I went to an allergist last year and they diagnosed me with Rhinotitus (spelling) - and they told me I could not get allergy shots.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, there's allergic rhinitis and nonallergic rhinitis. With nonallergic, shots don't help. With allergic, they could.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
ldylex04 (06-11-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sickofpain2 HB Usersickofpain2 HB User

These allergies can cause so many problems and making you sick to your stomach is one of many. Each of use react differently. This year, I am going through severe waves of sickness, congestion, sneezing, coughing, itchy eyes, thick mucus to name a few. It really feels like my chest is tight--so I may be developing asthma.

I have heard on recent weather segments that this year will be a rough time for allergy sufferers. A friend told me that doctors and hospitals are overrun by people with severe reactions to the tree pollen. Trees started blooming early this year and for whatever reason, makes it worse.

Where I live, we have been dealing with some mold too. So, double whammy!

I am going to order some drops for under the tongue that are the actual allergen in liquid form. The reviews have been pretty good. I can not take lots of medicines due to sensitivities so I need to try this route. I also take shots every 4 weeks. So, I will use drops in between when allergens are flying through the air and counts are high.

Do not forget--keep windows closed and when it is windy--the allergens can be blown in from several miles away.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I take a shower every night to wash the pollen out of my hair. So this is what happened to me now. I am on claritan and prescription nose spray. I was ok and dealing with some of it. So today I thought I was going to die. I woke up with stuffy nose and my chest feels tight. I have been doing the netty pot noticed yellow mucus mixed with white mucus. In November of 2011 I got a sinus infection from my upper resporitory infection I had and my doctor put me on z-pac. I do not want to go on z pac again because I feel I can fight this off on my own. Too much antibiotics. I was going to the doctors every week because I could not get rid of the cold and when I finally started to feel better - booom spring came and messed me up again.

by the way I like your name sickofpain - so am I.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I have both allergic rhinitis and non allergic rhinitis and know that the shots DO work for both. When I moved to a new area, a new allergist told me that I had non allergic rhinitis, so I didn't need the shots. I was MISERABLE until back on the injections and it took time for those injections to work. I could not even walk into a fabric store because the sizing on the fabrics would send me out. After being on my injections, I can go in.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:22 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
Just wondering if pollen can cause you to have upset tummy?
I instantly get indigestion and nausea when I've encountered an allergen or irritant, inside or outside of my home, that brings on my Asthma.

Allergies are combinational. How the body reacts is based on one's allergy load, or to how many different allergens one encounters and how strong the exposure.

I've found that, in my case, when I avoid or remove household products that trigger either sinus allergy or Asthma, the fewer problems that I have overall, and the less I react to high pollen days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi11 View Post
In November of 2011 I got a sinus infection from my upper respiratory infection I had and my doctor put me on z-pac.
A sinus infection causes damage within the nasal passages, or sinuses. Once someone gets his/her very first sinus infection, it causes a vicious cycle of constant repeat infections to the same area. The damage from infection does not heal very well in the moist, warm sinuses/nasal passages, so opportunistic bacteria can keep re-infecting the same damaged areas, until those areas are finally healed so that they can no longer easily infect, IMHO.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Last edited by Machaon; 03-23-2012 at 02:29 AM.

Old 03-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Dana and Machaon: I think you are both saying the same thing, and I agree.

If your symptoms have multiple causes, and you treat even ONE of the causes, you may find improvement overall. For example, my asthma used to be triggered by MANY things, allergic and not. I removed one of the causes, and now my lungs are less sensitive to all kinds of triggers. (Except pollen, alas!)

Allergic and non-allergic rhinitis very often go together. Reduce one and you may reduce both.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Today I feel much better. As long as I stay inside. My nasal passage is clear but I have a cough like a itchy cough. I am very tired but who isn't and I am not getting anything done. I think what happened was last week I felt great and then it built up in my system and caused problems. My husband was sick last week but feels great now. My neighbor same thing. So it is my turn now. I need to clean my house but have no energy. All I have to do is spend 10 minutes outside and then I come in and get a headache and itchy eyes. It is affecting my mom too and she is never bothered and never had to use clariton. It is like acid outside and these are the most nicest days to spend outside and when summer comes you can't step foot outside because of the heat wave. I give up. They reported this on ABC World News last night and one woman described as "breathing through cotton candy" - I have no appetite. Can't even enjoy life anymore.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

This week has been tough. I had a mini-emotional breakdown a few days ago and was crying and was a mess. My poor hubby was at a loss. After that, I blew my nose real good and decided I am going to do some cleaning that I have been avoiding.

I carefully feather dusted, then pledged, cleaned my main living area floors and vacuumed my furniture. It felt good to do something productive and yes that out weighed the side affect of dealing with dust. I also cooked some soup and a few other things over last few days. One thing I have done is have spicy foods cause my taste buds are dead right now. I covered some chicken in hot sauce. My son could not believe I was doing that. I have to believe the hot in the food has some healing properties--even if it is just endorphins being released in brain that makes us happy. I will take it!!

I am going to try to keep up with keeping dust out and am going to ask my hubby to help me clean our bedroom again tomorrow--top to bottom. As long as I can use a bucket of my favorite "oil soap"--that at least keeps the dust from flying too bad.

I will do a deep vacuum and may go ahead and change bedding a day early. I think keeping sleeping area as clean as possible does help so much. I may even remove some items in the room that are dust catchers.

So--off to bed I go. Feeling very tired!

Old 03-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I feel like I am in the movie "the wizard of oz" where Dorothy falls asleep in the meadow of flowers because she was poisoned. I feel like I can't move. My muscles ache and my joints. I am a zombie. I didn't know pollen can wipe you out like this.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

You gotta fight this best you can! Allergens can do all sorts of things to the body, as I am sure you are well aware. These pesky allergens are destroying your immune system. Avoidance and immuntherapy is the best route if you can do it. I would drink a lot of water as well. Good filtered water if you can. This can help flush your system of some allergens plus is just good for you!

That foggy/heavy feeling is miserable. Do you use a neti-pot to cleanse the sinuses? When I see my allergist, I am going to get a recipe to make my own cleansing solution. I think there are some that use apple cider vinegar. I am willing to try anything at this point. Especially since I am so sensitive to most medications.

I go to acupuncture as well and may increase those visits to help build up immune system. Today was my best day as far as allergies go. The temperature is lower so I think that halted the pollen production.

Closed Thread