It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
(male)

tbills2003 HB User
Mysterious Itching Needs Help Please

Well, I am an active 30 male from Ohio and have been having mysterious itching issues for about 2 years, which means 2 years of very poor sleeping. Here are my major issues;

1) itching is mainly at night. I dread the sun going down.
2) itching is mainly at my house. I try to avoid my house as much as possible ie. sleep at my girlfriends or extended visits to my parents house, where i do not itch at all!
3) itching is all over my body. It is not body-area specific.
4) I dont take any medications.
5) I dont know of any allergies i have.
6) I eat fairly healthy and exercise daily.
7) I am clean. All fabrics affect me the same.
8) My house is clean. Although, i feel that things jump on me at night...like dust particles in the air. I do not have any plants in my house and do not use central air. I typically like to have some windows open for circulation.
9) I have checked for sign of all bugs. Nothing has came up positive. Would there be bugs, spiders, fleas, ticks, etc. that I wouldnt be able to identify?

Since my problem is ONLY at my house, I should probable rule out allergies? Can a clean house still produce dust allergen? I would have to say that my house is more dry and not humid. Would severe dryness cause itching? Should i invest in a humidifier? Showers at night do not help. Lotions do not help. Oils do not help.

Anything medically causing my itching?
Anything at home causing my itching?
Could I have allergies?
What could i change in my living environment?

On a side-note, I have noticed what looks like increased acne. However, they are thicker, red bumps which is not typical of my skin. There are no rashes. I just thought this was stress or a product of my excessive itching.

I honestly want to move because I think it is my house. Your serious help is very appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
(female)

FLGirl123 HB User
Re: Mysterious Itching Needs Help Please

That is a mystery. I am not sure how helpful I can be... I had something similar but discovered it was due to my laundry detergent but it sounds like it only affects you in the house, which in my mind also rules out something medically wrong other than allergies.

So you know that it is in the house but have you tried sleeping on something other than the bed? Could be the bed that is the problem.
Dust mites can cause itchy skin too, but sounds like you are very clean.
Btw, Do you have pets?
Bed Bugs would be my 1st thought but I think you would be able to identify the bites. You mentioned red bumps but bed bug bites are pretty distinct. It is hard to see the bugs as they only come out at night. I saw a show in which they recorded themselves sleeping & saw the bugs come out to bite them. They had no idea until they saw the recording.

If I were you I would use the A/C to circulate the air. The windows open cause pollen & other possible irritants to come into the house. Try closing all windows & using the A/C for a few days.
Dryness can cause itchiness too, but again I think you would be itchy elsewhere.
Mold can cause itchy skin. Are you in an old building?
Sorry I can not be more helpful. I understand how frustrating this must be.
Last resort is to move & see if that helps. A big step for something that might not be a solution.....

Old 04-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have you tried an antihistamine???

Old 11-16-2012, 04:17 AM   #4
(male)

TreKPower HB User
Smile Re: Mysterious Itching Needs Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGirl123 View Post
That is a mystery. I am not sure how helpful I can be... I had something similar but discovered it was due to my laundry detergent but it sounds like it only affects you in the house, which in my mind also rules out something medically wrong other than allergies.

So you know that it is in the house but have you tried sleeping on something other than the bed? Could be the bed that is the problem.
Dust mites can cause itchy skin too, but sounds like you are very clean.
Btw, Do you have pets?
Bed Bugs would be my 1st thought but I think you would be able to identify the bites. You mentioned red bumps but bed bug bites are pretty distinct. It is hard to see the bugs as they only come out at night. I saw a show in which they recorded themselves sleeping & saw the bugs come out to bite them. They had no idea until they saw the recording.

If I were you I would use the A/C to circulate the air. The windows open cause pollen & other possible irritants to come into the house. Try closing all windows & using the A/C for a few days.
Dryness can cause itchiness too, but again I think you would be itchy elsewhere.
Mold can cause itchy skin. Are you in an old building?
Sorry I can not be more helpful. I understand how frustrating this must be.
Last resort is to move & see if that helps. A big step for something that might not be a solution.....
Thank you for your advise...been having similar symptoms and just discovered that when I went on holidays and stayed in a hotel I was fine, but when I returned I was up scratching all nite. I am very athletic, run, ride and w/o in the gym, etc., and the itchiness starts as soon as I go to bed..so...here are some reasons why I think I may be having this itching problem...(1) Dust mites(?): I live in a very dusty environment (next to a dusty road) and just finished cleaning thoroughly everything in my house-except for steam-cleaning the rugs which I ll be doing in a few days, and washed the walls (must admit I had not kept my place dust free-in fact my place has/had accumulated a lot of dust) (2) I do believe that the itchiness showed up after I changed the detergent from powder Tide to liquid "Snuggle", so I'll change the detergent as well and post results (3) I live in an old building for about 8 yrs.

My doctor believed that this is an irritation that causes the scratching and the hives that come after scratching, and had asked me to purchase shampoo for sensitive skin. Stand by for more info on this...and thank you for posting!!!

Old 11-16-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I would definitely switch detergents. Try Tide Free - it's great!

The following user gives a hug of support to Titchou:
TreKPower (11-17-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
(male)

TreKPower HB User

Thanks, I will try it!!!!

Old 11-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I think this is probably an allergy, and your mattress, mattress pad, may be full of dust mites. Do you have another bed in your house you can sleep in? If your mattress is ten years old or older, just changing that may help. Also washing your mattress pad and linens in hot water will kill dust mites. You cannot see them. There are dustmite proof mattress covers "hypoallergenic" that can be used too. Pillow can harbor dust mites as well. It would be cheaper to replace bedding than move! I would also look closely for any signs of mold, rotting wood, areas where water could have seeped in between walls. You can buy a mold test kit at hardware stores. Scabies is a skin infestation that can cause severe itching at night and little scabby skin lesions, but that would itch wherever you are. I agree with closing windows at night, and taking an antihistamine an hr or two before bed to see if that helps. Frequent dusting, vacuuming and an air purifier can all help as well.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
(male)

TreKPower HB User

Itching and hive problem resolved...thanks to all above who contributed, your advise is right on!!!

I determined that my problem was dust mites and (perhaps) detergent. Using my old detergent washed all bed sheets thoroughly not using hot water; When I went to bed wearing only a t-shirt and underwear, the itchiness started all over my legs, arms and around the neck area..ie, the parts of my body that were not covered with clothes. The next night I went to bed wearing a t-shirt, a pair of tights and socks so that my body was covered from the waist down...and all uncovered parts of my body were itchy. Then washed again the same beddings using hot water and, for good measure, used Tide Free (as suggested above-thank you)...and went to bed naked, and, ah...yes, had the best sleep ever!!!

The reason I think it was dust mites is because I've used the same detergent to wash my clothes, like, socks, t-shirts, jeans, etc., and never had a problem; the itching would start only when I went to bed or sat in my couches which I didn't wash as regularly as my other clothes; also my place had a lot of dust because I live near a very busy and dusty road; I also took for a hot shower and washed with soap & hot boiled water all chairs that have a cushion-type of padding, because I had noticed that the parts of my legs that touched the cushion would get itchy and develop hives; I also changed the detergent for good measure. I would also recommend to always use soap and shampoo for sensitive skin, like Dove...regardless if you have a problem or not.
Regards!!

Old 11-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

So glad the suggestions here worked! This board is truly awesome for people to get advice and help.

The following user gives a hug of support to ladybud:
TreKPower (11-17-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
itch, itching