It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
(female)

ctownley HB User
Help me stop the sulfite allergy with alcohol!! :(

Hello, as you can see I'm only 22 and I like going out with friends at the weekend as you do

anyway my sulfite reactions are getting worse and I'd like to know how to prevent them, I cannot have antihistamines with alcohol cos I get trolleyed :/ but without them I have a red face and arms, pretty embarassing really.

If anyone has sulfite reactions and knows how to still go out and have fun I'd like to hear from you, and girls, how do you cover it when you're out and about?

I cannot have wine, someone said I could have scotch, but I'm really not a fan having it straight

THANKYOU! x

Old 04-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Help me stop the sulfite allergy with alcohol!! :(

Some antihistamines are non drowsy formulas - allegra and claritin are two. Try one of them. OTherwise, just avoid wine - esp red wine. Scotch might be a good one to try - with water or dry soda = less hangoevers with it too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
(female)

ctownley HB User

Hey!
its not the drowsyness, its the fact that antihistamines double the amount I've drank and I get too too drunk...I guess it makes me weaker to alcohol?

is there nothing else? I'm used to drinking cranberry and vod, but they contain sulfites too, what can go with scotch that is safe?

thanks x

Old 04-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Take a non sedating antihistamine without the "d" ...that's what hypes you up....

And scotch is drunk with only water or dry soda...or neat, which I prefer but I am a scotch drinker anyway. Don't use a mixer with it - that's nasty....

Old 04-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

And Vodka does not contain sulfites...liquors typically do not as they do not need a preservative...so if it gives you problems, it's not from sulfites.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
(female)

ctownley HB User

Vodka is made from corn, which is sulfited, I guess its trial and error
I had a banana liquor as a shot which was fine, but as soon as I had it with a lemonade as a drink I hived up extremely badly...

Old 04-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Vodka is typically made from potatoes or grains. Moonshine and bourbon are made from corn..honey, I'm from the south and we know our "corn liquor!" But seriously, it may be something else causing your problems. Can you eat prepared foods (frozen dinners) or at a salad bar? They all have sulfites.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
(female)

ctownley HB User

Oh right, no I don't really eat salad because of the ibs...cant eat sausages, cakes, etc, and wine and spirits give me hives...its sulfites

Just trying to find something safe that I can drink, any suggestions? and mixers as well, no citric stuff as that bloats me out x

Old 04-03-2012, 03:58 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Do a search for "sufites" and you will find many articles listing items which have sulfites. Drink something not on the list.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:51 AM   #10
(female)

ctownley HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredAllergic View Post
Try tequila (100% agave, not a mixto like Jose Cuervo or Sauza) or potato based vodka (Chopin, Luksusowa, Blue Ice). That's what I stick to, safest for many people with allergies.
Oh thankyou! obviously tequila is only used for shotting...what mixer could I use? I'm in the uk so things may be a little different.

The following user gives a hug of support to ctownley:
TiredAllergic (08-10-2012)
Old 08-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Ever heard of a margarita? That's a tequila drink.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
(female)

misssensitive HB User

Townley,

Did eliminating some drinks help at all? I have been dealing with a red/spotchy/dry face constantly. I have tried elimination diets before, and just started again about 4 weeks ago. I eliminated wine, salad dressings w/wine vinegar, and cheese. I was feeling much better until Saturday when I drank vodka and woke up the next morning all broken out. The vodka was the only new thing that had entered my body in a week , so I'm thinking that was a big culprit, but I want to be able to enjoy a drink sometimes, and don't know what to do.

Closed Thread