It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
(female)

num1laur HB User
Sick (and tired) of these hives

I have had chronic urticaria since around November of last year. I have been to an allergist and had extensive bloodwork done as well. The doctor can't tell me what's causing this. From the research I've done I know it's hard to pinpoint the cause of this. I take zyrtec, atarax, allegra, and pepcid. It seems like alot of meds to be taking, but they got the hives under control. About a month ago, they came slowly and randomly back. Now, they're back almost every other day, head to toe. It feels like they're even in my throat...Wakes me up between 2 and 4 am all the time. This is what I wonder, does or did anyone else have this, and what helped? It makes me so mad when they come back and my poor husband is up all night because of me. I wonder if anyone with this condition has to take this many antihistimines? I know everyone's body is different, so different meds work for different people. I am extremely frustrated as my doctor kind of blows me off. I truly think nobody knows how exasperating this is until they've experienced it. Anyone?

Old 04-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Sick(and tired)of these hives

I know how awful it can be to have hives that go on and on that way. I've never had it that long, but I've had several bouts that lasted a month or so.

That many antihistamines? Definitely. I find that until the cause is identified and eliminated, it doesn't matter how much medication I throw at it, even Prednisone barely slows it down. You could ask your doctor about adding Benadryl at night, or increasing the dose of one of the others.

Also, keep your bedroom cool, and use as few blankets as possible. Maybe a cool shower before bed.

If the allergist can't help, maybe a dermatologist. The allergist did say it was hives, though, not a contact dermatitis or eczema?

Finally, crazy idea here, is it possible the original cause is gone and you are allergic to one of the ingredients in one of your medicines?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
(female)

num1laur HB User

hi Jane, thanks for answering. I went to a dermatologist who then sent me to the allergist. The allergist said they might never know what is causing this, as the cause of a histimine reaction is very hard to determine. Maybe I need a second opinion? I don't think it's the meds, I just started them a few months ago and the hives have been here way before that. Do you still have yours?
laur

Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
(female)

num1laur HB User

hi Jane, thanks for answering. I went to a dermatologist who then sent me to the allergist. The allergist said they might never know what is causing this, as the cause of a histimine reaction is very hard to determine. Maybe I need a second opinion? I don't think it's the meds, I just started them a few months ago and the hives have been here way before that. Do you still have yours?
laur

don't know why this posted twice, and I couldn't get it off

Last edited by num1laur; 04-05-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
(female)

GoodDog HB UserGoodDog HB User

I've had chronic delayed pressure urticaria for over 20 years. Up until a few years ago it was controlled with antihistamines but then I developed an allergy to all antihistamines and they made the hives worse and I had a paradoxical response to all of them. I was put on 20mg prednisone and as the hives became controlled the prednisone was lowered. I now take 5mg a day unless I have a flareup then I raise it to 7.5mg, then 10mg if needed. Unfortunately I'll probably always have to take the prednisone because I can't live with the hives and my allergist has tried everything else. Without it I can't drive or do anything using my hands or they will swell twice their size with miserable hives. I can't even open a water bottle! Seams in my clothes cause hives along the seam line. The quality of my life is reduced to the point I don't want to live.

You're right, doctors don't understand what a horrible affliction this is. I had a dermatologist say that his patients were "annoyed" by their hives. I told him off and never went back!

Prednisone is causing me problems like cataracts, pneumonia and some bleeding problems but even those aren't as bad as having the hives! My doctor now understands and has agreed that I'll have to continue with it probably forever. We just try to keep the dosage as low as possible to keep them under control. If I ever have to stop the prednisone I don't know what I'll do because I definitely won't go through that again. I can sympathize with you and I also had a difficult time getting a doctor that was compassionate about the illness and now that I have found one I treasure her!

Don't give up on finding something that relieves the misery. I wish you the best of luck and my prayers are with you.

Allie

The following user gives a hug of support to GoodDog:
num1laur (04-06-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Right now, I am not having hives. Believe it or not, going on allergy shots for my dust and pollen allergies has made a big difference!

Still, it is absolutely awful when hives come for a visit and just refuse to leave!

Old 04-06-2012, 06:00 AM   #7
(female)

num1laur HB User

allie- I sometimes feel that way with the hives too, not wanting to go on. I know what you mean, it's depressing. Please be careful with the prednisone. I know you need it, but lemme tell you, I have multiple sclerosis also, and I took alot of steroids throught my 10 year disease, IV and pill form. I developed avascular necrosis, joint death caused by lack of blood flow, due to steroid use. I'm 41 years old and I have a hip and shoulder replacement, and need another shoulder on the other side. I don't know what i would do if I had to be on steroids for THIS too! Dang if ya do and dang if ya dont! Prayers to you.
Jane- I'm glad yours are under control. It's very frustrating. thank you both for answering. Knowing someone else out there knows how I feel helps soo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
laur

Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

More crazy theories: Could you possibly be allergic to the components in your replacement joints? How long ago were the surgeries?

I'm just throwing ideas like darts, I might be completely off.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
(female)

GoodDog HB UserGoodDog HB User

I try to keep the prednisone at 5mg so I don't have a lot of the problems associated with it. That's terrible about your joints, I didn't know that!! I also have Lupus and the prednisone helps my joint pain. Unfortunately it has also caused me to gain a lot of weight and that is hard on my joints.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:11 AM   #10
(female)

num1laur HB User

to jane,
Wow, my husband has been saying this all along, about my replacements. My mom said I could not wear earrings ever, since I got them pierced when I was 12, and I still can't wear them to this day! Sounds alittle coincidental. Also, if that is the problem, I'm not sure I would want to go through the surgeries to replace the metal. The hip, maybe. The shoulder , no way. It was the most painful awful recovery. I was in so much pain that I couldn't sleep for 3 days when I came home and I was getting really mentally wrong. My husband almost took me back to the hospital. My allergist said absolutely
not when I asked him. I highly doube doctors and what they tell me anymore.
Laur

Old 04-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
(female)

num1laur HB User

to allie,
I'm sorry that you also suffer with lupus. What kind do you have? I know that the prednisone makes you gain weight, I did too when I was on it, and I know it doesn't help things. How long have you been diagnosed with the lupus, and did it take them a long time to diagnose you?
Laur

Old 04-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

A patch test or scratch test on your skin can find out for sure if you are allergic to anything in the replacements. Unfortunately, to do the test, you'd need to be off antihistamines for a few days AND have a decent sized area of hive-free skin to test on.

If you are, you don't have to have them removed. You could probably get desensitized instead.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:42 AM   #13
(female)

num1laur HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
A patch test or scratch test on your skin can find out for sure if you are allergic to anything in the replacements. Unfortunately, to do the test, you'd need to be off antihistamines for a few days AND have a decent sized area of hive-free skin to test on.

If you are, you don't have to have them removed. You could probably get desensitized instead.
What does that mean? Also, I didn't say, but we had extensive water damage on the second floor of my home from a roof leak. I know we have several types of mold in our house. I thought it might be that, but again, my doc blew that off saying mold allergies are "overblown". I think he's full of crap.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

She's talking about allergy testing...either the scratch test or patch test will show what you are allergic to and then you can determine what method of treatment to pursue.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
(female)

num1laur HB User

What is that patch test? What do they do?

Closed Thread