It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
(male)

Steven45 HB UserSteven45 HB User
Is this "typical" for allergies?

Hi everyone

I am a 48 year old male who has been diagnosed with allergic rhinitis and acute sinusitis. Allergies run very deep in my family and this year, the pollen count has been off the charts.

Many times over the years I have had sudden attacks where my nose will get itchy followed by an endless flow of mucous until I'm practically drowning in it or my nose will just drip for hours on end. I also get post-nasal drip that accumulates in the back of my throat and makes me have to swallow a lot and while I'm asleep, this stuff runs down into my lungs resulting in a mild lung infection and some shortness of breath that can last for several days.

Recently however (for the past 3-4 days) I've had a lot of post-nasal drip, dry (or watery) eyes, some congestion, runny nose occassional sneezing and have had to stop taking my nasal spray because it is causing side effects with long-term use. The other day, kept having to clear my throat and was bringing up small amounts of clear mucous from my lungs. I kept doing this throughout the day until my throat felt a little scratchy and irritated. The next day I continued bringing up small amounts of mucous until my throat felt even slightly more scratchy.

This lasted just a few days and yesterday and today my throat has felt ok but last night the post-nasal drip got down into my lungs again as I slept.

I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through this whole cycle and if it is the normal pattern for allergies/conditions such as allergic rhinitis and chronic sinusitis. About a week ago, I also experienced days where I had tons of brain fog and just felt really tired and run down too.

Thanks for your input, Steve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Is this "typical" for allergies?

Absolutely normal. Try an antihistamine and a saline nasal rinse.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

oh my yes - you would not believe what my family and I go through everyday. I have been on clariton for months plus a prescription nose spray. I also have rhinitis - oh I have it worse though - the mucus will go into my stomach and cause stomach aches. I have been tired, foggy, muscle aches for weeks now. It has attacked my joints and makes my fingers tingle. Called my allergist and he told me that happens when it keeps attacking your immune system. Do you take vitamin C? I drink tea which loosens the mucus and I sleep in a upright position at night. netty pot and saline have helped me but don't know what to do for the brain fog. So your not the only one alot of people are suffering. Hope this all goes away soon.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

oh one other thing make sure you wash your hair at night to rinse all the pollen out of your hair because you will breathe it in all night. I have never had it this bad where it drips in the back of your throat. I always got a stuffy nose. This year I had it in my lungs and it caused a sinus infection.

Closed Thread