It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
(female)

Tori68 HB User
Smile Allergic to something in my bedroom

Hi- I hope someone can help. For the past few weeks I've been breaking out of hives whenever I'm in my bedroom??? I've even woke up with swollen lips. I've been in my house with the same room for over 13 years now. I had my walls painted in February but these symptoms started April 8. I purchased new bedding and thoroughly washed all pieces on Aprl 7. No detergent change. A friend suggested it was due to the high pollen count several weeks ago and me having my windows open. I've since closed them. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Last edited by Tori68; 04-25-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Allergic to something in my bedroom

Could be a food you are eating. It's possible to become allergic to something you've eaten for years!

An allergist can do blood tests to narrow down the possibilities.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
(female)

Tori68 HB User

Thank you Jane. I thought about a food allergy but why does it only happen in my room??? IDK, my Dr. rx Prendisone and no hives tonight since I've come up here although I am now congested and coughing. I let the air purifier run all day while I was at work. My next step is making an appointment with an allergist but from what I understand finding out the cause isn't likely. That theory coupled with me not having health insurance that will cover my visit is driving me to exhaust all other avenues first.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Is it possible you have mold inside the walls? There are ways to test for that. Have you ever had water damage?

Old 04-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Just because you washed the bedding doesn't mean it isn't the cause. It could be something in the fabric itself. Maybe try your old bedding for a couple of weeks and see? Also, try a benedryl at bedtime and see if that helps/

Old 04-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
(female)

Tori68 HB User

Never any water damage. I had the house built it '99 and never any problems like that unless there is something going on that isn't visible. How would I check? I have an 8 year old who is severely asthmatic but he's not reacted to anything this year (so far).

Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
(female)

Tori68 HB User

Great idea, I will try changing back to my old bedding. Benadryl at night does help but I feel quite sleepy in the mornings. I figured I'd try something prescribed in hopes of getting "cured" if you will....

Old 04-26-2012, 03:45 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, zyrtec is OTC so you could try that. And there are companies that will come in and check for mold in your home. But I'd try going back to the old bedding and the antihistamine and see how that does first.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #9
(female)

Tails12 HB User

I actually have the same problem. I get hives only when I'm sleeping. I know they are also food related, but it seems to be something in the room that bothers me the most (they also so that allergies are typically worse at night due to your body shutting down for sleep). I bought a mattress cover that is supposed to help with dust mites, I also wash my sheets at least once a week, and we no longer allow the dogs to sleep in the bed. They slept in the bed for the past year and I never seemed to have any trouble, but like others have said, sometimes things that didn't bother you in the past will start to cause allergies.

All these changes didn't eliminate them completely since my hives are also environmental and food related, but it did help A LOT.

I also take a 10mg Zyrtec and 75mg Zantac right before bed. With that combination and the changes I've made, I am mostly hive free now.

Closed Thread