It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #1
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User
Delayed Reaction- Allergy Shot

Hey Guys,
I finished my second set of allergy shot vials yesterday. (I have five sets to get me through my build up phase.) I was good while I was at the Allergists's office, just a little bit of redness. I have started getting a little bit of redness at the injection sites, but nothing too big.

About 2 hours later I noticed my right arm had a big red area around the injection site, about the size of a half dollar. I also had some redness in my armpit and a couple of hives underneath my armpit. I took some benadryl, I still have a faint hive under my armpit this morning.

Does that mean I need to slow down my build up? It kinda freaked me out. That's not supposed to happen, right?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Delayed Reaction- Allergy Shot

It's not a big deal. Honest. Tell them and they'll probably back you up one shot. I've had it happen every now and then. I don't know about your doc, but whenever I got new vials, they automatically gave me a 1/2 dose anyway. But you should tell them and ask what they plan to do. This may happen off and on but I wouldn't worry about it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

Thanks for your reply! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I think they have ingrained in my mind that hives= a bad reaction, so that's why I freaked when I saw it! When I was at the Allergist's office I didn't even have any redness. I'll tell them about it on Friday and see what they say.

I've been doing really well so far, with just some small reactions at the injection site. I'm hoping I don't get totally messed up when I go on vacation next week, but the nurse said she'd get me back on track when I get back.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I've never had to back up more than one shot. Others might have but that was about it for me. And sometimes you may have no reaction at all and other times you might get a big red welt. I never could figure it out!

Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
(female)

Thanks for the info! Hopefully they'll just back me up one shot when I get back from vacation, don't want to get too off schedule. I will be gone a week and a half. I've been going in every 5 days on the dot, I want to get the build up phase over with.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I agree with titchou. The first time I started immunotherapy, I would have only a minor reaction during the wait at my doctor's office, then a couple hours later, it would get to almost softball size. When I went back for my next shot, they would either back me up one dosage or keep me the same at that dosage until my reaction lessened and I could move on.

I took a daily antihistamine throughout the immunotherapy process. (I needed it regardless because my allergies were intensely bad.) I also carried hydrocortizone creame with me. If you don't have one, I'd also recommend carrying around an Epi-pen, just in case....

Sometimes it seems like a slow progress, but it does get easier over time in my experience. I'm now about 4 years into my current go-round with immunotherapy. Sometimes I get a reaction after a while, other times I don't. I've found that icing can help as well.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

My allergist has moved to a different practice. This one has lots of children who are patients. They have little velcro ice paks that they put on the kids arms when they get their injection! Had never seen those before....

Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
I agree with titchou. The first time I started immunotherapy, I would have only a minor reaction during the wait at my doctor's office, then a couple hours later, it would get to almost softball size. When I went back for my next shot, they would either back me up one dosage or keep me the same at that dosage until my reaction lessened and I could move on.

I took a daily antihistamine throughout the immunotherapy process. (I needed it regardless because my allergies were intensely bad.) I also carried hydrocortizone creame with me. If you don't have one, I'd also recommend carrying around an Epi-pen, just in case....

Sometimes it seems like a slow progress, but it does get easier over time in my experience. I'm now about 4 years into my current go-round with immunotherapy. Sometimes I get a reaction after a while, other times I don't. I've found that icing can help as well.

Thanks Mountain Reader! I also need a daily antihistamine regardless of allergy shots. I take Allegra in the morning and I take Singulair at night. I've had bad allergies my whole life. My Allergist has all his shot patients take antihistamines at least during the build up stage, they always ask me before my shot. They also have me give a peak flow and they have me carry an Epi-pen. I've been happy with this practice, they take the shots very seriously.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
My allergist has moved to a different practice. This one has lots of children who are patients. They have little velcro ice paks that they put on the kids arms when they get their injection! Had never seen those before....
That's funny! That reminds me of my mom. She used to make something similar for us when we were kids and called them "boo boo bunnies." They had ears. My old Allergist's office was predominantly children and it always made me feel like I was at a Pediatrician!

However, those ice packs sound like a good idea! I've seen another patient at my office ask for an ice pack and it looks like they have ice packs in the back. I may have to start asking for those.. the only problem it I always seem to have reactions a couple hours later. I may get some sideways looks at the office.. Haha.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Well, to heck with them if they can't take a joke! It's just so funny to see 1/2 dozen kids sitting around the waiting room with those floatie looking things on their arms. None of the adults have them...

Old 05-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Actually, a velcro ice pack sounds really convenient for shot days! I should see where I can find one.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Well, to heck with them if they can't take a joke! It's just so funny to see 1/2 dozen kids sitting around the waiting room with those floatie looking things on their arms. None of the adults have them...
That's funny, the only person I've seen at the Allergist with an ice pack is an older man. We have some kids come in too, but they don't seem to complain nearly as much as us adults!

I should note that my asthma has been really great since starting the shots. It may be a coincidence, but I'll take it!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #13
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Actually, a velcro ice pack sounds really convenient for shot days! I should see where I can find one.
Jane, my mom used to make them out of old towels and plastic ice cubes. (The kind of ice cubes they sell for drinks in the summer, that are plastic and shaped like fruit.) I bet you could make some yourself! Just add velcro from a craft store.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Or I could sew a sleeve for one of the gel ice packs I already have. That's a great idea!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I have a couple types of velcro ice packs. A couple gel packs with sleeves and one that has squares sewn in it that form actual ice cubes. I switch up depending on what my needs are at the time.

I had horrible allergies for many years and chronic sinus infections that went hand in hand with them. When I started my shots, I was on Flonase, Asteline, Allegra D, Singulair and Zatidor for my allergies with additional Benedryl as needed. I also had a couple asthma meds.

I was on that regimine for many years. I'm still receiving regular shots (about once every week or two). I'm happy to report that I'm currently off of all of my allergy and asthma meds.

Last edited by MountainReader; 05-01-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Closed Thread