It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
(male)

Steven45 HB UserSteven45 HB User
Question Could all of this be caused by allergies?.

Hi there

I am a 48 year old male with a history of chronic sinusitis and allergic rhinitis. I also have a deviated septum on the left side. Allergies run very deep in my family and this year (from what I understand) has been an especially harsh time for people suffering from allergies.

Anyway, for the past few months (off and on) I have been waking up in the mornings feeling like I've been through the wringer (ie; sinus headache, head spinning, really loopy and out of it, intense brain fog, clogged up head, eyes hurt and watery, congestion, pressure, feeling like I'm about ready to jump out of my skin, etc). I tend to sleep in very late (until about noon) and it takes me hours just to feel like anything resembling "normal" again and start my day. Sometimes it can be pretty debilitating and I don't even feel all that good until much later in the evening (if then).

I did have about 3 really good days where I felt a lot better but just about the time I thought I was over the hump, it hit me pretty hard again. I've been getting low-grade fevers of about 99.00+ every so often too (and 100.6 once) so maybe a sinus infection going on here or something. The intermittent low-grade fevers are nothing new. I've had them for ages but they seem to have started up again after an intense period of severe stress and high anxiety.

I've had tons of blood tests (even lots of rare and unusual ones), seen the doctor, neurologist, opthamologist, etc. Also had an MRI of head and neck. I also suffer from cervical arthritis, Tourettes, GAD, OCD, GERD, Gastritis, IBS, etc. I've been using Astelin nasal spray which seems to work pretty good but the last few times, I've actually gotten even worse after using it. Pretty miserable and with my anxiety, it sometimes feels like I'm losing my mind!.

Anyone else going through this with similar symptoms?.

- Thanks, Steve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Could all of this be caused by allergies?.

With all you are probably taking I hesitate to recommend this but have you tried any antihistamines? A benedryl at bedtime might tell if this is allergy related....

Old 05-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
(female)

Kimesie HB UserKimesie HB UserKimesie HB User

A lot of your symptoms could be affected or caused by allergies. My husband has asthma, and we used to think that it was caused by pollen, because he only had it during the pollen season, but now we know that it is caused by pollen and MILK. If he doesn't have any dairy products (butter is OK) then he doesn't have asthma even during the pollen season! You might consider cutting all dairy out of your diet for a while but it could be other things causing the problems. An ELISA test might show up what you are sensitive to, but the quickest way to find out is to stop eating everything you usually eat for 4 days (that's all the time it takes to see improvement!) and see if your symptoms are better. This might mean eating just rice or sweet potatoes and a few veggies that you don't usually eat for a few days, but you would know if your symptoms are being caused by food sensitivities. The problem with quitting one food at a time is that if you quit dairy and you are sensitive to eggs, for example, too, then you won't see any improvement. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying it. If you find that you feel better after 4 days you can introduce foods one at a time to see which ones are causing the problems. They will probably be foods you eat every day, like bread, dairy or eggs or some types of meat or nuts.

Another thing that could help is taking vitamin c (several grams twice a day) plus 500 mg of niacinamide twice a day. This helps my husband when he gets rashes from laying of freshly cut grass and other things, but it won't be much help if you are reacting to things you eat a lot of.

Last edited by Kimesie; 05-04-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

I also had a deviated septum and it can cause all sorts of trouble with a person. I had HORRIBLE headaches and could not think. I also have very bad allergies. To cut a long story short, I had the deviated septum taken care of and it helped VERY, VERY much. I am no doctor, but think with the deviated septum, things were backing up into my head that should have been released through the nose. Please do me a favor and go see a good ear/nose and throat man to see if he can help you. As far as allergies are concerned: This has been one of the worst years and I have been miserable most of the year. I have received allergy injections for some time and my doctor just made the strength four times what it was before. Allergies can drain you of all your energy, effect your thinking and the list goes on and on.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
(male)

Matt221 HB User

i had very similiar symptoms a few weeks ago, allergy season definitely hit early this year and I felt it right away. I would try singular and see how that works

Also, Go to an ENT Doctor and have an allergy test done. Make sure you know exactly what you're allergic to, it might not be allergies? I ended up going and they found out I had a double ear infection with allergy symptoms so it may be different for you .

But Singular is a wonderful prescription, highly recommend it, let me know if you try it

Old 05-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #6
(male)

Matt221 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danabarb View Post
I also had a deviated septum and it can cause all sorts of trouble with a person. I had HORRIBLE headaches and could not think. I also have very bad allergies. To cut a long story short, I had the deviated septum taken care of and it helped VERY, VERY much. I am no doctor, but think with the deviated septum, things were backing up into my head that should have been released through the nose. Please do me a favor and go see a good ear/nose and throat man to see if he can help you. As far as allergies are concerned: This has been one of the worst years and I have been miserable most of the year. I have received allergy injections for some time and my doctor just made the strength four times what it was before. Allergies can drain you of all your energy, effect your thinking and the list goes on and on.
I agree with this, had a septoplasty and it dramatically changed the way my ears and nose felt. I have no problem flying on airplanes anymore, never have chronic pain

Closed Thread