It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
(female)

Jenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB User
Allergies and ear trouble

Hi guys,
I usually post over on the ENT board, but decided to come over here to see if you guys have been having similar issues. Here's the story:
I got a cold back in january that never seemed to go away. Blocked my left ear up too. The dr's called the cold a sinus infection and treated it with many antibiotics, which didn't do anything. I was completely frustrated, so I ended up seeing an ENT who wanted to do allergy testing on me. I've always had seasonal allergies, but never year round ones that I knew of. Long story shirt, I tested positive for 22/37 allergens. Mold, ragweed, dustmites, trees, grasses, dogs, the list goes on. Started allergy immunotherapy about a month and a half ago. This ENT believes that the cold aggravated my allergies, causing the ear problem. I don't know, so I'm asking you guys. Do any of you who have significant environmental allergies also deal with clogged feeling ears? I have no fluid in them, they just don't seem to want to equalize pressure properly. The technical term is eustachian tube dysfunction.

Hoping I'll hear from some of you here so I can get a better idea of what could be going on. Thanks!
Jen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Allergies and ear trouble

I used to have extremely severe allergy problems. In addition to sinus problems, I used to have stuffy ears. I used to take Allegra D, flonase, Astelin and Singulair to get relief.

While immunotherapy can be helpful, it will take a while before you see results. In my case, it took about a year into shots before I noticed a significant relief. (My current go-round for immunotherapy includes treatment for my 28 worst allergens.)

Did your ENT do a scope to check your eustascian tubes?

Also, I had an episode where my right ear didn't pop for over a year. I ruled out all of the ENT stuff and finally found out I had TMJD with my ear problems as my only symptoms. If you don't get relief through your allergy treatments, it might be worth looking into.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
(female)

Jenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB UserJenmomof2 HB User
Re: Allergies and ear trouble

Thanks for your reply! I know not to expect immunotherapy to work right away, but it's good to hear it helped you over time. I did look into tmjd as a matter of fact, and I'm going to not rule it out, but set it aside for right now. The main reason is that I have been OCD popping my ears for a few months now, mainly by yawning widely, so if I get jaw pain its usually related directly to that. I try to not do it so much so that I don't make myself another problem! I mainly posted here because I've never heard of allergies being exacerbated suddenly by a cold. Meaning, I've had allergies and colds before, but my allergies never worsened due to the cold. I have tried many of the meds you mentioned, with the exception of singulair. I was thinking of mentioning it to my dr when I see him next. My latest working theory about my ear troubles is that I have some persistent and very viscous mucus blocking the openings of those tubes. Also gonna ask the dr about a mucus thinning agent (not mucinex, it's an expectorant). Otherwise I'm seriously going to be seeing the eustachian tube expert, Dr Poe, in Boston. And I live 30 min south of Chicago! A girl can only take so much ear blockage before starting to crack, as I'm sure you well know. Glad to hear you obtained some relief from your ear issues. I'm seeing an ENT who specializes in sinus/allergy troubles next month. I will be requesting that she scope my e tubes because no other ENT has checked them during nasal endoscopy. Funny that since my ear is my main complaint that they'd not check them. Actually kinda disturbing that they didn't check them... Oh well, hopefully this dr will do it for me even though she specializes more in sinuses/allergies. It's all connected anyhow. Plus she's at UIC medical school, so I'm hoping that a teaching hospital will have access to more info and research.
Hope you're doing well, and again, thanks for the response.
Jen

Closed Thread