It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
(female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User
Worst Allergies of my life and can't find a remedy

First of all, I have no health insurance. To make matters worse, I just got laid off and am on unemployment.

This year I have had the worst allergies that I can recall. It started a few weeks ago with terrible throat itchiness and soreness. Then my eyes started itching and now it's to the point where I am waking p in the middle of the night with horrible throat and eye itchiness. I am afraid I am going to do damage to my eyes.

While Clariton and Benadryl used to work, they no longer do.

My sister who has had allergies all of her life, suggested Zyrtec-D. I bought a box of the 12-hour Zyrtec today and also Alaway eye drops since my eyes have been really itchy. I used them both and they didn't help much.

I have tried cold compresses and tears to help w/ my eyes but they're still really bad. My throat itchiness comes and goes but in the morning, I am a mess. Really runny nose with bad itchiness in my throat and eyes.

If I had insurance or even a job for that matter, I'd go see an allergist. Unfortunately, I don't. I do have a doctor at the local clinic who has been treating me for a thyroid condition (and who I last saw before I got laid off only a couple of weeks ago). I'm hoping that if I call her she can prescribe something since nothing OTC is working.

What's out there that's not available OTC? More importantly, what prescription allergy medication is generic and affordable?

I'm looking for testimonials and advice. This is really uncomfortable. I even have my air purifier on high 24/7 and it's not doing a whole lot.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Worst Allergies of my life and can't find a remedy

It can take several days for the zyrtec to work. Are oyu taking it twice per day? I really recommend the regular zyrtec not the D as it does not seem that you need the decongestant. If I have an allergy attack it usually take 2-4 days of regular zyrtec twice per day to get ahead of it. Sorry you are having this problem but there is no immediate fix for it.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Worst Allergies of my life and can't find a remedy

The prescription allergy medicines really aren't any better than the OTC, they are just much more expensive.

Give the Zyrtec several days to work. The strongest, fastest acting antihistamine is Benadryl, but it makes people very drowsy. You could try Zyrtec in the morning and Benadryl at night, perhaps.

You can also add Zantac. Yes, that's a stomach medicine, but it also has some antihistamine properties. When I wound up in the ER for allergies, they recommend Zantac and Zyrtec together.

Closed Thread