It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Grehound27 HB User
Question Prednisone for Allergies

Howdy, as we all know, this has been a TERRIBLE Spring for pollen allergy sufferers...myself included. On Singulair & Zyrtec year round (but had a slight sinus infection and ENT said to quit while the antibiotic was working!) I guess those two weeks without, got them out of my system and now I am back on them plus a 7 day dose of Prednisone (40mg). Anybody had experience with this and did it help the post nasal drip which is my chief complaint. Also use NetiPot 2-3 times a day.

Thanks for listening.

Have a great week.

Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Prednisone for Allergies

Prednisone is an extremely effective medicine for allergies. There are nasty side effects from long-term use, which is why it is used rarely and usually only for a short time.

Be aware, it might make you hungry and irritable. Also, keep taking the other medicines, because the allergies might come back rapidly once you're off the prednisone.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Grehound27 (05-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Grehound27 HB User

Thanks Jane. I just started the prednisone this AM..have to take 4 10mg daily for seven days. Said with that short a time, I wouldn't have withdrawal issues. Will I be able to see results in that short a period?

Thanks again.

Dave

Old 05-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yes, a week is usually long enough to get an allergy attack under control. It might take a few days to start working, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Grehound27 (05-22-2012)
Closed Thread