It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #1
(male)

Bahaa HB User
Unhappy Allergy HELP! Annoying Stuffed Nose

Hello, I wake up every day with a congested nostril (the side I sleep on), while the other one remains open. I feel very tried and completely unrefreshed. I also used to wake up to the slightest noise, but now I snore and it's harder to wake me up.

Tests have shown that my lungs are clear, I had had a sinus infection, and got treated for it. Oxygen was 94, but now it's 99. I took theophylline (theosol), butaline, matador (to treat sinus infection), and xyzal (I replaced it with claritine later on), then my Dr. decided to continue the treatment with a nasal spray (contains steroids) and aerius, but I found out that my allergy symptoms have returned and these did not work (even after I finished all the prescribed dose). I am supposed to go and see my dr. now, but I am reluctant as I feel that he should have directly ordered allergy tests since day 1. I asked him if it might be food allergy and he replied that since my chest is clear and the allergy is in my nose, then it is highly unlikely to be food allergy, but rather environmental allergy. I always feel tired especially after waking up and this drags until late night when I start feeling better, but my nose feels stuffy and dry for the whole day. Very rarely I might be able to force some sort of a thick blob of wet mucous out of it. My wife also tells me that I look pale and my eyes are dim. I do get clear mucous as well but it's not runny and the volume is little, instead I feel that something is stuck inside but I cannot reach it or get rid of it.

Other than that, I wear lots of perfume and I do spray on my face a bit, I have stomach problems sometimes (but lately I am not getting any noticeable reflux; I know it can be silent reflux sometimes though). I eat everything, but sometimes some foods irritate my throat. My room does not get any sun. Also I don't feel this is seasonal, but it seems to get slightly worse sometimes.

I have also done septoplasty turbine surgery (3 surgeries at once, but I don't know the names very well, one invovled the cartiledge, the other was for polyps, and a third for nasal pockets maybe).

So what do you think this is? Should I do allergy tests?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Allergy HELP! Annoying Stuffed Nose

You should absolutely do allergy testing. What you describe certainly sounds like at least a dust mite allergy since your worst issue is upong waking in the AM. So, clean your bedroom well, get rid of any carpeting, wash your bed linens in hot water at least weekly, bag your mattress and pillow. You might also try a humidifier at night and a benedryl at bedtime. My sister also swears by a saline rinse every night and morning. I can't handle the rinse but use a saline spray.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
(male)

Bahaa HB User

Thank You Titchou

I suspected dust mites as well and we changed the blankets and pillow covers plus I boiled some eucalyptus oil in water and breathed in the vapour, and I do feel better by at least 50% today. Am gonna remove the carpets today and see how that goes.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

GREAT idea to remove all your carpets, but since you are snoring and waking up tired, I highly advocate that you have a sleep study test done to see if you have sleep apnea. If you do have it and do not take care of it, it can make a person wake up EXHAUSTED to the hills. Allergies can also tire one, so I am not dismissing those.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
(female)

ArcticWolf HB User

Ohai there! Welcome!

Well I would agree with what other people have been saying. I definitely would not go for any surgery at this point. Be sure to get tested, and if its as severe as they describe. They'll probably recommend allergy shots if they can narrow it down. They used those for my pollen allergies (I sneezed like 70 times, just from walking outside) they worked wonders. I also know they have alternate forms of medication. I'd personally take it up with a doctor regarding these issues.

Also, be sure your avoiding as many irritants as you can. I'm not saying you have to give up anything, but I can't see drenching yourself in perfume as a good thing. But, it may not be a problem either.

Hope you find relief soon! Don't do anything your not comfortable with. Good luck!

Closed Thread