It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User
How long your allergy shot buildup take?

As I've posted before, I started my allergy shots late March. At this point I am about halfway through my buildup (I'm halfway through the 3rd set of vials, 2 more sets of vials to go.)

However I'm feeling a bit frustrated because my progress seems to have stalled! I've needed to have repeated shots with my last two increases. I keep getting a few hives when they increase. Wednesday was my second try of my latest increase and I while I didn't get hives this time, my injection sites stayed red for longer than 24 hours. I seem to be having a harder time adjusting to the doses. I don't think they'll let me increase on Monday because I stayed red for so long this week.

Has anyone else experienced this? Did it improve?

Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to MeezerWheezer For This Useful Post:
Jane885 (09-04-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: How long your allergy shot buildup take?

Generally speaking, and everyone is different, it can take 6-8 months or longer. If you go twice per week and have few or no back ups, then about 6 months. If you have do overs and go less often, then it can take substantially longer. And staying red for over 24 hours was never a reason to hold or back up for my doc - only if I was still red for the next one- which was 3 -4 days later - would they back up or hold. I went 2 times a week till I got to maintenance. I think the last time I was on the shots we only had about 4 or 5 do overs in 5 years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

Thanks for your response!

The literature they gave me told me I might have to repeat if my arms are red more than 24 hours. I'll see what they say when I go back on Monday. I've been going every 5 days but got a little off schedule with vacation and Memorial Day. Maybe that's part of my hive problem.

I'm just getting impatient, I need to chill. There's a possibility I may be moving across the country in a few months and I would like to be done my buildup by the time I have to switch to a new doctor.

I just want to be at maintenance already!

Old 06-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I understand! That's why last time around I went twice a week. But every doctor is different. Just hang in -you'll get there!

Old 06-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
(female)

ArcticWolf HB User

Well I'm allergic to peanuts, and I got allergy shots to help lower the risk. Never completely override the symptoms, but it but it helps significantly. Mine took about 3ish months to kick in.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Honestly, mine took 20 months, and with the cat dander, I eventually reached a point where I simply couldn't raise the dose any more. Toward the end, I sometimes needed to repeat a dose 4 or 5 times before I could move up.

Still, I have my life back. It's worth half an hour a week.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

My first go-round of immunotherapy took quite a long time to build up. I was even going twice a week for over a year.

This last go-round, my build up was a bit quicker, but because of my asthma, I'm still going in almost weekly for shots instead of once every 3 weeks as I should should have been for the last 2 years. It is frustrating, but it is necessary. I've gone from 8 allergy & asthma medications for severe symptoms when I started to being on no medications this year.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Honestly, mine took 20 months, and with the cat dander, I eventually reached a point where I simply couldn't raise the dose any more. Toward the end, I sometimes needed to repeat a dose 4 or 5 times before I could move up.

Wow, that's a long time for a buildup!

I guess my impending move is the only thing making me impatient. I currently live on the East Coast and will most likely be moving to the Midwest at the end of the summer for my husband's job. Plus, it would be nice to be on one steady dose since increasing always makes me nervous.

I was hoping to be done my buildup before we move and I have to switch doctors, we'll see. The animal dander shot has been no problem, it's been the dust and mold shot that I keep reacting to.

At times I'm wondering if I should just stop now and start again when I move. I'm afraid my allergies will change.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post

How did you know you needed to repeat the dose? Was it your local reactions at the injection site?

Old 06-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yup, local reactions. My allergist's rule is that you repeat the dose if you get a welt bigger than a quarter. I've never had a systemic reaction.

Your allergies might change when you move to the midwest, but not as much as you might think. Certainly pets and dust are not region-specific, and I believe the mold shot is the same in both places.

For outdoor pollens, allergists divide the US into 6 regions, and each one has its own "package" of common outdoor pollens for tests and immunotherapy. I get a generic, premixed "tree-grass-ragweed" shot. Of course, it doesn't contain every tree pollen on the planet, only the more allergenic trees which grow in my area.

You'll probably need new tests for outdoor pollens, but you might want to postpone it until you've move there and lived through a complete growing season there, so your body can decide which local pollens it wants to be allergic to.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Hi there. Jane gave you some good advice in her last posting.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #12
(female)

Yes she did, thank you for your response Jane!

The only outdoor allergy I have is ragweed, which is really the least of my problems. (It's only a slight allergy, but we threw it in the shots anyway) So hopefully nothing will change if I move. I have never been allergic to pollen. The ragweed popped up in the last couple of years. My husband's family lives in the midwest and my asthma wasn't happy the last time we visited. The farmers around their house were tilling their fields (not sure of the exact farming term!) and there was a ton of dirt in the air. Luckily they don't do it that often, because that's the area we would be moving to.

The shot nurse talked to the Dr and let him know I got a couple hives with my last two increases. She said the hives aren't normal. So they are keeping me on the same dose the next couple of weeks before they try increasing me again. I have also apparently graduated from every 5 days to every 7 days.

Closed Thread