It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
(female)

ArcticWolf HB User
Question Can allergy shots wear off over time?

I'm just curious. I've had pollen allergies for a number of years. I had a series of shots about 4 years ago to treat it. Up until now, I had minimal symptoms. Now I swear the shots are wearing off though because my symptoms are reverting back to their old forms. Either that or my symptoms are just getting worse possibly. I occasionally get update shots just to be sure it remains effective but this is odd. Does anyone else have a similar experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Can allergy shots wear off over time?

Sometimes the shots do wear off after several years. Sometimes people develop new allergies. Sometimes it's just a really bad pollen year.

See what your allergist says. Might be time for a new round of testing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Yes. The effectiveness of the shots can wear off over time. For me, it was about 6 years after finishing my immunotherapy treatments. I know people who have gone about a decade before seeing some symptoms return.

When I had my new round of allergy testing, some of the allergens were better than they had been, but others had returned. I'm currently in my second go-round of immunotherapy.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Odd that you would go for "update" shots. The usual regimen is 5 years of shots - beginning at 2 per week to maintenance of one per month after about 6 months. And yes, they can wear off. I've done the 5 year regimen 3 times in my life and I am now 66 years old. I suggest going back to your alllergist for testing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
ArcticWolf (06-12-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
(female)

ArcticWolf HB User

Thanks all for the responses! I have an appointment with my regular doctor next week so I will report my concerns to her. Possibly going in for further testing as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Odd that you would go for "update" shots. The usual regimen is 5 years of shots - beginning at 2 per week to maintenance of one per month after about 6 months. And yes, they can wear off. I've done the 5 year regimen 3 times in my life and I am now 66 years old. I suggest going back to your alllergist for testing.
I don't remember her explanation exactly, but the reason I have to go in for extra shots is because I did not initially go for a long enough period with the shots the first time around. So sometimes I'll have to do like a month of shots just to counter that. Not sure how its supposed to work, but since its proved successful until now, I didn't question.

Perhaps that in itself has to do with the problems I'm having now.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Yes, if you skip shots, then you have to back up and get back on schedule. That's why it's important to go regularly and finish the regimen. Then you should not have problems.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
(female)

ArcticWolf HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Yes, if you skip shots, then you have to back up and get back on schedule. That's why it's important to go regularly and finish the regimen. Then you should not have problems.
Well I'll clarify I didn't 'skip' my shots as you say. I just had an initial period of getting the shots that was shorter then the norm. So they'll have me come in for a month of shots at random to try and make up for that fact. But regardless, I'm going to take that as the problem for now until I speak with my doctor. Thanks!

Closed Thread

Tags
allergic reaction, allergies, allergy shot, pollen allergies, shots