It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
(male)

kamikazee HB User
Can Food Allergies leave and come back within a year?

So I have digestive problems for quite some time now meaning years; diarrhea, abdominal pain, fatigue, upset stomach all the time. Just recently developed some new problems like shortness of breath, post nasal drip, headaches, dizzy/lighted feeling 24/7, congestion and extreme fatigue thats mostly it. The new symptoms came on within the last year and they are really scary. Feel like I can't breath often! And when I can breath like I'm breathing really hard.

I ask this question because I am wondering if food allergies can both cause diarrhea and breathing problems? Also there was a time in my life about 5 years ago when I graduated from high school for about a 1 1/2 years where I had absolutely no problems of any kind no stomach no nothing, felt amazing and I was wondering if it was allergies related if allergies can just disappear like that and come back?

My mom really things that allergies are my problem and she has agreed to pay for everything to get checked up on it, the problem is the clinic she wants me to go to is a 3 month wait! Which is like torture. Also I dont really have any typical symptoms like sneezing, runny nose, itchy or anything like that. It just feels like my airway is chronically restricted for some reason.

I have had every test imaginable done for digestion; crohs, barium, sibo, food intolerances, celiac, like everything and they haven't really found anything. Also just curious but can food intolerances come and go also? Thanks everybody I just want to get on with my life and feel better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Can Food Allergies leave and come back within a year?

All allergies, food or environmental, can come and go. Have you tried any antihistamines for the sinus issues? You don't have to sneeze or have a runny nose to have allergies! (Gosh, where do people get this idea???) It also sounds like you may have either asthma or a stomach issue such as acid reflux or GERD. I'd start with a good physical and move toward allergy and asthma testing.

In the meantime, try a pepcid and a zyrtec and see if they help.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

That could be food allergies, but it could also be allergies to things like pollen, dust or pets. Those can definitely cause postnasal drip and even trouble breathing.

Yes, allergies can come and go. I had them as a child, mostly went away as a teen, then they came back while I was in college and they gradually got worse through my 20s.

Three months is a long time. Is this clinic run by an MD who is a board-certified allergist? You should not permit your mother to waste her money on anything else.

In the meantime, can you go to a family doctor to get some short-term treatment, at least for the breathing? If it's asthma, I don't want you to have a bad attack while waiting. A daily antihistamine might also help, and there are several good ones available over the counter. Zyrtec and Allegra are both pretty effective.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
(male)

kamikazee HB User

The only antihistamine I have tried is zrytec through prescription for about 4 days and it seemed like it made things worse. Because the excessive mucus from the post nasal drip started drying up in my throat or getting more sticky so then I couldn't remove it and I really felt like I couldn't breath. Or at least I think thats what was happening.

And for gerd I wondered about that also, so I had an endoscopy done when all of breathing problems started and he said there was no acid reflux or any signs of problems. The doctor claimed there was some minor irritation in the stomach from acid but that is not uncommon in today's diet. Supposively hes the best doctor in the state for digestion. Also I absolutely never get heartburn. But i did try 3 weeks of prilosec which it did help my diarrhea for some reason but it didn't help my breathing problems.

Well you answered my main question which I thank you for, I'm assuming its either asthma induced by allergies, because I have never had any signs of asthma before in my life. Or the mucus from the post nasal drip and combination of allergies is inflaming my throat. Just wish I didn't have to wait so long.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Was that Zyrtec-D, by any chance? Anything with the D means it has a decongestant, which is going to dry you out.

And, yes, those things you mentioned would be the major possibilities. It's possible to get allergic asthma as an adult, it happened to me. Or it could just be reflux irritating your throat and lungs, making it hard to breathe.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
(male)

kamikazee HB User

Thanks Jane for the quick reply

She wants me to go here because her sister went and supposedly shes like a new person now doing better then she has in well for most of her life. And shes like 65. Like she has always been tired, and sensitive to smells they would give her headaches and always had a sore throat and nasal congestion. Then she found out shes allergic to yeast and I think dust mites. So they treated her for it and she feels great.

I did have somewhat of a breathing test they put an oxy meter on my finger for one night to see if I was having problems breathing. It stayed at an oxygen saturation level of 96% for most of the night I couple times it did dip down to 86% which the doctor was worried about, but we just figured that was from the congestion.

Also is it possible that environmental allergies could cause diarrhea?
Thanks

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-13-2012 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
(male)

kamikazee HB User

I don't believe it is but I can't tell for sure because its a prescription and it just says Cetirizine on it. But I do see that these are the side effects: Dryness of the mouth, nose and throat, drowsiness, urinary retention, blurred vision, nightmares and stomach ache are commonly reported side effects of this drug.

Which would explain why my throat felt so dry. And why I felt like I couldn't swallow or breath.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Cetirizine isn't a prescription drug now. It's been OTC for some time. You might try one of the other OTC ones - Claritin - and see if it helps. But it definitely sounds like allergies, along with either asthma or some digestive issue. You might also try a saline spray or nasal rinse - both are OTC as well.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:34 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

JCarter78 HB User

I'm not so sure about allergies coming and going over a period of a few months to a year - unless they are seasonal of course (pollen etc).

However it's certainly true that nut allergies can either reduce or worsen as you get older. My nut allergies have worsened over time as I have (unfortunately) tasted a wider array of food that used nuts in their recipes that I had never tasted before (walnuts). This triggered a different and more sever reaction to the standard peanut reaction I had when I was younger.

Closed Thread