It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
(female)

Peepsie HB User
Smile Question about face/teeth pain?

Hi! I'm new here and I've been having kind of weird symptoms for almost two years! It all started when I was walking through a mown - down soybean field. After coming back from the walk (a few hours later?), my right cheek hurt so badly and it even looked a tiny bit swollen! I'm assuming that it was an allergy to the soy dust or something in the air.

I've been getting episodes of right side cheek/head/teeth pain on and off since that happened! I have also a wisdom tooth on that side that's crumbling (it started to break off about a year ago) and is pretty decayed, now. I also have a couple of other teeth that have gumline cavities and they, along with the wisdom tooth, feel a little bit sensitive when I touch or irritate them, but not painful! They're only painful during one of these pain episodes.

Anyway, I think that the pain episodes were increased during the winter before last because I was exposed to kind of a lot of mould while I was sleeping! D: Then in the Spring and Summer, they again increased because of the thingies flying in the air! Sorry if this is confusing, but it's kind of complex, heehee ^-^

The pain at its worst was (still sometimes is) mildly severe and would wake me up at night and it made me cry! D: It was like a gnawing pain that would get worse while lying down. The pain was also on the left side of my face and head! Sometimes it was on both sides :s

It's like this intense, gnawing, almost burning pain that sometimes originates in my cheek and sometimes in my teeth/gums on the right side and radiates vertically to my lower teeth and my head :s When I push on the side that hurts, it hurts.

The pain episodes just dissipate after a while. Sometimes it's hours, and sometimes it's only 15 minutes or less! It's almost ALWAYS gone in the morning after I wake up and then it starts up again at some point in the mid to late afternoon. It comes and goes!

It stopped completely, I think, around *last* Autumn and Winter and then in the beginning of January, I woke up with pain along my *left* gums and teeth/cheek/etc. That lasted for like a day, I think. I think it happened again once during the Winter. As soon as this Spring started, the pain started all over again!

It happens almost every day, currently, like a few to several hours after I wake up, and then it just goes away and it's totally normal when I touch that side or push on it and everything!

Also, I've been getting these shock - like pangs of sensitivity/pain all along the teeth on my right side (upper *and* lower!), usually only during one of these pain episodes. Like even if I run my tongue along my teeth, that can trigger the sensitivity/pain electrick shock thingie!

I'm going to see a dentist and my doctor about this, but has anyone experienced anything like this? I'm scared of getting my wisdom tooth/teeth pulled because I've read about some people that die from that. It *really* freaks me out D: I've had two teeth pulled for braces before and I was fine, so that makes me feel a little bit better.

I'm going to post this in the dental health section also, because I'm not sure if it's wholly tooth or allergy related.

Even though my wisdom tooth is decaying, I don't think it's infected, or ever has been. Wouldn't the pain be unbearable and constant and more superficial? This pain feels more on the inside.

I've noticed that it's worse when my neck/shoulder muscles are tense and they often are :s Maybe it's related to that also? Oh! And a few years ago, I had similar pain at the base of my head in the back, where the neck muscles attach to my skull, I think! It was strange and also came and went mysteriously!

Also, it only happens in the afternoon or evening and goes away as though nothing's happened, lol! Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks! ^-^

^-^

Last edited by Peepsie; 06-14-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Question about face/teeth pain?

It oculd be a combination of dental and allergy issues. One thing I can tell you is that people don't die from having their wisdom teeth pulled! Where on earth did you read that? Goodness! I'd be willing to bet almost every other person you know has had them pulled with no side effects. Get the dental work done. Get allergy testing. Go from there.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
(female)

Peepsie HB User
Smile Re: Question about face/teeth pain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
It oculd be a combination of dental and allergy issues. One thing I can tell you is that people don't die from having their wisdom teeth pulled! Where on earth did you read that? Goodness! I'd be willing to bet almost every other person you know has had them pulled with no side effects. Get the dental work done. Get allergy testing. Go from there.
Okay, good, heehee! Well, I'm definitely going to see the dentist and the doctor, so I'll get their advice ^-^

Old 06-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

There are three plausible explanations for your pain that I can think of.

1) The wisdom tooth. Whether it's the main problem or not, just get it pulled! Perhaps someone at some point died of tooth extraction, but it's more likely that you'll die in a car accident on the way to the dentist. I had all 4 removed at once, one impacted, and it was nothing. But you leave it broken and crumbling like that, there's a good chance you could develop a dangerous infection.

2) Allergies. If you have allergies, you can get sinus inflammation, which can cause pain in your face. Sudafed and antihistamines might help. You could also rinse out your sinuses with saline.

3) Muscle tension. You mention that the pain tends to happen when your neck and shoulders are stiff. Turns out, stiff, knotted neck muscles can cause the muscles around your cheeks and jaw to knot up. You can stretch it by gently opening your jaw, as wide as you can, then shutting it again. You can also gently stretch your neck in all directions.

Or, it could be more than one of these things. Or it could be something else entirely. See what your doctor and dentist have to say.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

Getting your wisdom teeth out is really not bad. It is certainly better than living in pain! It's a pretty routine procedure.

I had all four of my wisdom teeth impacted (coming in horizontally) and had them all out at once. I was under the whole time and don't remember a thing. Sore for a couple weeks, then back to my life. No biggie.

I'm a total freak about the dentist and I was very nervous, but it turned out to be not bad at all. Definitely get that taken care of ASAP.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
(male)

Rich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB User

As an addition to the previous replies, sinus inflammation can also cause tooth and related area pain. The nerves in the upper teeth go right up to the edge of the sinus cavities.

Closed Thread