I got a new dog 6 weeks ago. I had zero allergic reactions to my previous 2 dogs, but i did have a dog once to which I thought I was mildly allergic. I have always been very reactive when volunteering in animal shelters or in a barn, and cannot wear wool.
Now with the new dog, when I first got him, if he licked me or made tooth contact with my skin I would itch, not only in the spot where his saliva touched my skin, but I would itch on my scalp and other locations.
Then, after he was with me a few weeks, I started to get very tired, and could not get out of bed in the morning. I purchased an air purifier for my bedroom and made him sleep in another location, and it improved.
However, I still have the symptoms of fatigue, very congested feeling in my head, and slight tightness in my chest. I do not have runny nose or watery eyes at all. Mostly I am too tired to do anything but get myself to work and back.
I went to an allergist today and I tested negative to the skin ***** test for dog and 40 other items. He said I do not have allergies.
I brush him with allerpet every day, put fish oil in his food, and am taking quercetin and some homeopathic remedies, but still feel like I am drugged with a clogged head and fatigue.
Is there any chance this is a dog allergy anyway? Especially if it seems I may be allergic to some dogs and not others?
The allergy would be to his dander (fur). If it's his saliva that bothers you, that's an entirely different thing and not tested for. I would check wiht your vet. He may possibly have some condition that is causing this.
Thank you, Titchou! This is so informative. So....if you have another minute --
1) Can I be allergic to the saliva and not the dander?
2) Can the saliva become airborne, perhaps by him licking his coat, and then small pieces drying or something?
3) If I am allergic to his saliva, do you think it is something i can get used to over time (I have never been allergic to anything before, except the wool itchiness).
He has been to the vet and is very healthy, but i am giving him fish oil to ensure he does not have dry skin, and brush him every day outdoors to get any dead skin and loose hair or dander off him.
I don't know. They don't test for dog saliva in the standard allergy testing. You have to talk with the allergist about that. It just seems odd that it is the saliva. Has anything else changed in your environment?
Try rubbing the dog down with a warm wet flannel every day. An ioniser does help and keep the dog off your bed and any chairs an furniture.
I also have itching if I stroke or kiss my dog but I am ok if I keep away from her. She follows me around and I adore her but I cannot get too close. These allergic reactions do pass by themselves given time. I am already more comfortable and I took no medications.
I hope yours is better in time too. Getting rid of the dog is not an option - we love them too much!
The Following User Says Thank You to Milly50 For This Useful Post: swdc (06-17-2012)
Hi Milly: thank you so much for the advice and encouragement! I am glad your allergy is getting better. I just ordered a very expensive air purifier called Rabbit Air, i hope it helps also. I am wiping him down and brushing him every day. I think my skin itching is already getting better (it's been six weeks) but the head congestion is still a problem.
That's ok, these things usually pass in time. I felt allergic a lot during all April and May, it was very uncomfortable. But I took nothing for it and just improved my general health. It is greatly better now by itself. I just think the body has natural wisdom and healing if you just wait and see while doing all you can naturally to support that inner working and believe you will get through. The weather here in the UK has a lot to do with it, so much rain and dampness.
I have had dogs as pets most of my 70 years. They have slept with me and played with me and licked me, etc. I never thought that I was allergic to dogs.
Needless to say, I had no idea that my pet poodle was responsible for some of my sinus problems, and some of my sluggishness, and tiredness, and "slight" chest tightness until he went out into the Florida Room for a few hours. During that time I felt much better, and stayed feeling better until he came back into our house.
We experimented with putting him in the other end of our place. But.... no matter which room we put him in, I still suffered with somewhat worse health problems, until I placed him outside of our home in the Florida Room.
I just never entertained the thought that I was reacting negatively to my dog because I have owned dogs for decades. One caveat, though: I think that my present allergy and sensitivy to dogs is a result of other health problems which I had gotten later in life.
CHF, A-Fib, HBP, Diabetes, Asthma doing great
Thank you, Machaon. I have had dogs for years, and have never had a problem when visiting someone with cats. I have just begun these symptoms, but they are the same as yours -- head/sinus congestion (I have never had sinus problems before so imagine this is what it feels like but don't really know), fatigue/low energy, and slight chest tightness. Have you tried an air purifier? I love the dog, but i can't function well right now and I work full time plus need to exercise, etc, so it is not a sustainable situation. There seems to be something unique about this dog that is bothering me.
Thank you, Machaon. I have had dogs for years, and have never had a problem when visiting someone with cats.
You are lucky to not have a cat allergy too. I react to anything furry, including ferrets, cats, etc. I thought that I was lucky not reacting to dogs. NOT!
I have just begun these symptoms, but they are the same as yours -- head/sinus congestion (I have never had sinus problems before so imagine this is what it feels like but don't really know), fatigue/low energy, and slight chest tightness.
Allergies can be very confusing, misleading, bedeviling and debilitating. Allergies are not only cumulative in nature, but the inflamation within one's body can last for days. The effects from allergies and the body's hormonal reaction/over-reaction to allergens and irritants can cause all kinds of nasty, confusing symptoms.
The body becomes a hormonal and chemical MADHOUSE during an allergy reaction, IMHO.
They say that misery likes company, but in my case, I am truly sorry that you too have to endure these stupid senseless allergies!
Have you tried an air purifier?
I've got six hepa filters and I no longer use them. They run too hot and are too noisy. We only use them if we get a lot of smoke blowing in from fires in the everglades. Do you have them? If so, do they help?
I love the dog, but i can't function well right now and I work full time plus need to exercise, etc, so it is not a sustainable situation. There seems to be something unique about this dog that is bothering me.
I've gone thru my life asking "What are the rules!?". As long as I know the "health problem" rules, I can do something about it. Rules like, avoid dust, avoid smoke, avoid milk products, avoid cats, shower after coming in from the outside, but now Avoid Dogs??? Tis not fair, is it?!
I hope that you are able to find a way to coexist with your much-loved dog. Our pets are so very dear to us. I still remember our deceased dogs with much love and feelings. In fact, I mourn the loss of my pets more than the loss of some of my friends and relatives.
We were able to find a good home for our dog and can still visit, so all is not lost.
I wish you the best of luck with your health and with your dog!
CHF, A-Fib, HBP, Diabetes, Asthma doing great
If you are allergic to your dog, do not expect that the situation is temporary. I am allergic to my pets and have remained allergic over the long term.
When I first got my cat I didn't realize I was allergic. It was until my allergies got worse over a few months and I finally got tested that I found out. That was 3 years ago and I am still allergic to my cat. I take a daily antihistamine and have developed a tolerance to him but that has taken years. If I stop taking my Allegra, I do still notice some symptoms- although not as bad as in the beginning.
Last year I got a dog, knowing that I am allergic. There are some dogs that are much worse for me than others and my Boston Terrier is not that bad. However, if he licks me I will get a hive and he cannot sleep in my bed. I have not yet developed a tolerance to him after a year.
If it does turn out to be allergies, I recommend keeping your bedroom dog free and getting a nice HEPA filter next to your bed. However, is your dog on any topical medications? I found that I am allergic to some of the monthly flea medications used on animals. Perhaps you are reacting to something else dog related and not the dog itself.