It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
(female)

Hamoc101 HB User
Thumbs down Food intolerance to Onions?

Hey all!

I have had varying severities of nausea for the passed few months and countless medical tests couldn't find a thing. So recently I have been to the dietician and have cut things out of my diet and reintroduced food groups to see if I have a food intolerance and I think I may have one to onions? Does anyone else experience this? I feel nauseous with excess liquid in my stomach and sometimes bloating? I have never heard of this. What may cause it? please help

Old 06-22-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Food intolerance to Onions?

Things like onion, garlic, peppers (green, red, yellow) are often difficult for some folks to digest. Indigestion at least with them is common. Onions, powdered or minced form, are in so very many foods. You'd have to do away with most prepared food if this is the case.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

When you eliminate onions from diet, do your symptoms go away? If so, that is your answer. If not, one of the most common causes of nausea and bloating is excess acid in stomach. You could try some ranitidine or omeprazole, over the counter, to see if that helps. Excess acid usually causes nausea when the stomach is empty, like in middle of night or 1st thing in AM, and is worsened by smoking, caffeine, spicy, acidic foods and anti-inflammatory meds like ibuprofen or aleve. If the nausea persists even without the onions, see a gastroenterologist, since your other docs have not been helpful. Have you had an H. pylori blood test done?

Old 06-26-2012, 01:50 AM   #4
(female)

Hamoc101 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slkanowitz View Post
When you eliminate onions from diet, do your symptoms go away? If so, that is your answer. If not, one of the most common causes of nausea and bloating is excess acid in stomach. You could try some ranitidine or omeprazole, over the counter, to see if that helps. Excess acid usually causes nausea when the stomach is empty, like in middle of night or 1st thing in AM, and is worsened by smoking, caffeine, spicy, acidic foods and anti-inflammatory meds like ibuprofen or aleve. If the nausea persists even without the onions, see a gastroenterologist, since your other docs have not been helpful. Have you had an H. pylori blood test done?
Hey! yeah I have had a H pylori blood test and everything was fine, and have been on acid reflux medication which made me worse, the symptoms come occasionally when onion is eliminated from my diet but no way near as intense as it is with onion. I guess that is my answer

Thankyou!

Closed Thread

Tags
nausea