It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #1
(male)

shy978 HB User
Sublingual immunotherapy- constant blocked sinuses

Hi All,

I had a turbinate reduction along with FESS and deviated septum surgery in january and although it did help, it has not stopped my sinuses from still being blocked fully.

I done a skin ***** test and I allergic to dust mites. With the advice of my ENT and the allergy clinic, I am now on my third week of sublingual immunotherapy. I have high hopes of this working but I am just wondering whether anyone has had success with this method for a constant blocked nose and if so, how long it took them and any experiences along with the way?

If anyone could let me know or advise me, it will be greatly appreciated. So far with me, the immunotherapy has had no effect as of yet (obviously still early days).
thanks all

Old 06-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
(male)

kelky4 HB User
Re: Sublingual immunotherapy- constant blocked sinuses

Hi, I havent started it yet i'm due to start SLIT in the next couple of weeks. I got my blood ige allergy results yesterday and it turns out i am extremely allergic to two types of dust mites, negative for everything else (kind of already knew). The machine rates antibody levels out of 300 and mine measured <300. Thing with me was my cat scan was completely clear, yet allergy medications and sprays nasal wash dont help me whatsoever and ive been on them for months.Ive a constant blocked nose and always feel sick and tired, even when i am not around dust which i cant understand and changed bedclothes to dust proof type along the purchase of a hepa filter. For me it feels like dust allergy has triggered some sort of chronic illness with me, i cant really explain it, i always feel from it.

My doctor told me that it takes around 6-9 months to feel a difference with slit, but ive also heard you can feel benefits after about 4 months. I think tht it depend on the person and their level of allergy.

Best of luck.

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-26-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
(male)

shy978 HB User

Thanks kelky4,

Good luck with yours and hopefully for you it helps. I have been on SLIT for like 3.5 weeks now and nothing yet (not expecting anything yet of course!). I didn't actually do the blood test since the allergist told me it isn't too accurate nor does it really explain anything well. May she was wrong.

Yeh me too. For me the saline does hardly anything nor did nasonex (so expensive!!!). I used nasonex for so long yet it didn't do anything and I don't want to spend another cent on that. Sorry to hear about your issues but have you spoken to your doctor about possible surgery? Maybe you nose is bent or you have abnormally large turbinates?
Good luck

Old 06-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
(male)

nails1 HB User

Ye my ent said that i have a very slight deviated septum but nothing to warrant surgery and my problems are caused by allergies. My sinus CAT scan was also very clear too so i cant get anything physically fixed. I also had the skin test for initial diagnosis and blood test to measure the severity of the allergy which was one of the highest antibody level reactions that he has seen in 10 years...

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-26-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
(male)

shy978 HB User

Fair enough. You see with me, I had NO idea I had allergies to dust mite. I had surgery done on my septum and my enlarged turbinates. Apparantly my nose was really crooked and was one of the most bent septums he had ever seen. But it just sucks now that the cause of my blocked nose is dust mites.

I guess I may opt to get the blood test done. But lucky you don't need surgery. KEep us updated on your progress

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-26-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Closed Thread