It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
(female)

tampaflmom HB User
Allergies to what?! ( mold, pet ) or maybe not an allergy?

Completely healthy 30 year old women and then... It all started 6 months ago with a headache that landed me in the ER. Following that headache which was only on the left side of my head came sinus issues. The worst Ive ever experienced. Mostly all on my left side, lasting about 5 months now. Then came Pneumonia/Bronchitis. Which then again landed me in the ER my heart rate was 140 the whole day i was there. I was told my body was trying to fight something off. I did probably 4 rounds of antibiotics in 2 months. Then I have recently been diagnosed with moderate Asthma. I do breathing treatments every single day, where as a year ago i was completely normal. This entire time i keep telling theses doctors " it feels like i can't breathe, my neck and chest feel swollen and tight along with my face, and i can only get short breaths" no wheezing though. They brush that off as anxiety. Which seemed okay until the allergist did my pulmonary function test which showed a 50% decrease in 2 years. Symptoms Ive had the entire time are... Facial swelling under left eye, post nasal drip, left lymph node swollen behind ear for about 3 months now, and elevated resting heart rate at all times (usually around 100 ). Feeling of not being able to breathe ( which i guess i really can't with out albutural ) I have seen every doctor from my two GPs, ENT ( 3 times ) and finally an allergist. I have had a lot of blood testing done, basically the only answers i get is that its an allergy. The symptoms come and go but are almost always present in some fashion or another. Completely debilitating. We recently found mold in our home and moved last week!. I still have the same issues in a brand new apartment. I have 2 cats and 1 dog and am now thinking could it be them!? Nothing shows up on my allergy testing, no antihistamines work, I'm at a loss of who to see or what to do. Its basically taken over my life and I cant find anyone that can relate or has info on why this would all be happening. It seems to only get worse over the last few months especially now that its effecting my lungs : ( Any advice? or ideas? Also all symptoms are visible ( not in my head ; ) Especially the swelling, post nasal drip, the doctors apparently don't seem to think its an issue since its just an allergy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
(female)

tampaflmom HB User
Re: Allergies to what?! ( mold, pet ) or maybe not an allergy?

ALSO the swelling in my face was so bad for a couple months that my jaw was out of place. They linked this to TMJ. You can actually see my jaw go out of place when i open my mouth wide. ALSO i wake up every night in a full blown panic because i can't breathe, my dad who has asthma says this is sleep apnea ( ? )

Last edited by tampaflmom; 07-07-2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: I have to many symptoms to remember!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Am sorry you are having these issues. The mold was probably a large part of your problem but it will take some time for your body to rid you of the issues related to that now that you have moved. The only thing you mention regading testing is blood work. Have you not had a skin scratch test for allergies? That is better than a blood test. And since it's "allergies", are you planning injections? I would also have a sleep test done to determine if apnea is part of the problem. And maybe a visit to an environmental doctor to assess for the mod issues.

Hoep this helps.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

This seems pretty extreme for just allergies. I would recommend you get a copy of all your test results thus far and first look for abnormal results marked H or L high or low. You can post these with normal ranges if you'd like for help interpreting. I wonder if you had pneumonia why it took 4 rounds of antibiotics. There are things like pneumonitis, varying causes, that look like pneumonia but are different (no germs just inflammation).
Did your allergy testing include tests for dogs and cats? There is a test called ANCA, which could be done on blood, with the persistent sinusitis, lung issues. I would also get an IGE level, sed rate, CRP, ANA, RA done. These are tests looking for inflammation, general allergic response, and 2 autoimmune disorders that could be an underlying problem (lupus and rheumatoid arthritis) as both can cause pneumonitis. Your eosinophils on blood count would be elevated in allergies this severe. Did they think the pneumonia was bacterial or viral or atypical? You could find this on discharge summary of hospital records. You may need to be your own detective with this and look below the surface.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
(male)

Rich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB User

You had pneumonia & bronchitis and were never referred to a pulmonologist? Were you diagnosed with pneumonia, or did it just feel like that was what it was? The allergy stuff doesn't make much sense either, unless I'm missing something. It sounds like some docs are telling you that you have an allergy, but the allergist is saying you don't. Is that right?

Here are some points that hopefully will be useful to you:

- Once you've had serious lung issues docs (usually a pulmonologist) will often keep you on a long-term localized steroid in a puffer (Symbicort, for example). They do this as a preventive measure because once you had serious lung/respiratory issues, it's easy to develop them again.

- Some people who have had significant respiratory issues find that from then on they are more sensitive to odors, fumes, etc. that may not have bothered them before.

- I had a similar condition, including the sensitivities, we sold our house and moved temporarily into an apartment and found that the cheap wall coatings they used (paint, spackle, etc.) were toxic with VOC's (Volatile Organic Compounds). My wife and son felt it and had symptoms also, but mine were significantly worse due to the new sensitivies to any respiratory challenge. Conceivably this kind of scenario could retard your recovery.

- Waking up gasping can be from several things, including apnea, some meds (especially narcotic pain meds), or just respiratory difficulties.

- Sleep apnea is a symptom and can be caused by various conditions and if this is causing your waking with gasps, it will likely go away again when the base problem gets resolved. Just inflammed & swollen sinuses can cause this.

- As the previous reply said, if it's a reaction to the mold, that could take awhile to heal. As far as I know, all you can really do is treat the individual conditions as they arise and give it time.

- Sounds like you need clarification from your docs. One of them needs to "own" the treatment of the respiratory issues.

Good luck to you.

M.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
(female)

tampaflmom HB User

I had scratch test done for food and some environmental including dog and cat all were normal. I've had almost all allergy testing done with blood work and all negative. I am actually getting the results in a couple of days for the rest of the items ( specific molds etc ) that weren't in the two first tests. Thus far the ENT and GP say non allergic rhinitis. I have copies of my blood work, all normal. Every time. I didn't actually get the pneumonia/ bronchitis diagnosis at first. I was extremely sick for 3 weeks and the doctors would say it was one or the other depending on which doctor i saw. They had me on antibiotics, including iv antibiotics in the hospital but i just took time to clear. I'm pretty sure it was pneumonia though because my kids and husband got it about two weeks later with the actual pneumonia diagnosis. I am a really healthy person and actually use very little chemicals as far as household cleaners, body wash, organic food, no additives etc. I have changed almost everything in my life to "Clean" to see if i do have chemical sensitivities. We moved into a temporary apartment that is brand spanking new, and the last 2 days have been just as bad : / maybe worse. My husband is allergic to our cats and his allergies have been really bad since moving here ( smaller space, cats are always around us now ) My daughter who is 2 is getting tested for JRA so RA testing might be good. I have swollen joints a lot in the mornings, which I always found bizarre for myself being very slender and healthy. Thanks for the responses, I'm open to any and all ideas at this point.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

The fact that you moved into a brand new apartment may be a red flag to me, but I am no doctor. There are lots of chemicals in new apartments. It could be the paint, the stucco and if there is a new rug, that can raise the dickens with people who are sensitive to chemicals, which I do have. My husband and I went out of town a number of years back; stayed in a nice hotel,but there was a new rug on the floor. I spent a good part of the time on the staircase because there was a new rug on the floor that drove me crazy. Also; if you are sensitive to chemicals, it could be the cleaning products. Do you have these problems after you have been out of the apartment for a little bit?

Old 07-09-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

I see in your earlier post that you have moderate asthma. Have they put you on a daily inhaled steroid? If not, they should. That will help to calm down your lungs and get your breathing under control. Bronchitis or pneumonia can trigger asthma in previously healthy people. I got asthma after having bronchitis.

It sounds like a trip to a Pulmonologist would be a good idea for you.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
(female)

tampaflmom HB User

My allergist is actually a pumonologist as well. I am on Pulmicort twice daily, no help yet. The one thing that did seem to help was prednisone but i know it has nasty long term effects so i just did about 10 days of it when the sinus flare ups where unbearable about 3 months back which was the same time i had pneumonia and jaw swelling.

Closed Thread