It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User
Allergy Shot Update

Hey guys! So I'm officially 4 months into my allergy shot buildup now and I'm still only halfway done! I thought I would be wrapping things up by now and getting to my maintenance.

I had been doing well with my last two increases- no reactions (my Dr keeps freaking out about these stray hives I've been getting.) Then I got a cold and missed a week and my progress got halted again. Last week I got a repeat dose since I missed a week and my eyes got itchy. This week they increased me anyway and said that the itchy eyes weren't related. At the end of my 30 minute wait, I had a big ol' hive on my stomach. Now I'm getting backed up TWO doses! So frustrating. I had to vent! Am I a freak? I haven't seen anyone else get the hive thing that I get. (I only get one or two hives, but it seems to really concern my Allergist- which freaks me out.)

I'm officially moving to the Midwest in a month, so I already have an appointment with a new Allergist set up the day after I get there. I'm not getting off schedule again!

Old 07-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Allergy Shot Update

It took me 20 months to get to maintenance. By the end, I was repeating every dose 4 times. I went every week except for maybe 4 weeks when I was sick or something. Still, I got there, and it was definitely worth it.

I never got the random hives from my shots, just the injection site swelling, but I used to get hives from my seasonal allergies. For me, my skin is more allergic than my nose or lungs, so my hay fever tended to involve hives over my face, ears and neck. This year it's so much better, like one hive here and there, rather than all over my forehead with my whole ears swollen up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Watch out also for new allergies. Things grow int he midwest that don't where you are now.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Good point about the new allergies. You might want to get re-tested for allergies after you move, although it can take some time for the new ones to develop. Matter of fact, it can take at least a year for all of them to show up.

Pet, dust and mold allergies don't vary much by region, though, so you can just continue those shots.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

That's comforting to hear your hives have improved with allergy shots. I have also been prone to hives from my allergies and I have extremely sensitive skin. I can only use Cetaphil lotion and certain brands of cosmetics, everything makes me itchy! No matter how careful I am I still tend to get the occasional hive sometimes. I'm lucky that it's not bad at all, there's one spot on my back that always seems to get itchy when my allergies are bad. Before I was taking allergy medicine regularly (a few years ago) my inner arms used to get a rash all the time. A dermatologist told me it was eczema from my allergies. I had no idea.

I really hope the allergy shots help me. I'd like to get pregnant in the next couple of years but I'd really like to have my allergies and asthma under better control before embarking on that journey. With the stress of moving halfway across the country, it is tempting to just throw in the towel and give up. I need to be patient and stay the course.

I'm hoping that because most of my allergies are indoor that I won't see much of a change when I move to Illinois. My worst allergies are: mold, dust, cats and dogs. I have developed a slight allergy to ragweed over the years, so that is in my shots too. Fingers crossed!

Old 07-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Good thing you aren't moving here - ragweed in the national flower of the south.....

Closed Thread