It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
(male)

quickguide90012 HB User
Applied Too Much Neosporin Do I have an Infection?

I'm a guy.

I had a lot of mosquito bites. So i put a ton of neosporin on my face as i read neosporin is good for it however... i went crazy with it. I just put it all over certain areas of my face. As a result of this... those spots i put it on right now have a huge mark on it... like its a brown mark. Also one side of my face around my chin area... its pretty huge and its very red. I read online that this is HIVES? The other thing is when i touch the spot... its VERY ROUGH. I just read online that you are not suppose to put a lot just basically put very little on the spot. But instead i went crazy and put it all over my face like glue. I read online that ppl can be allergic to it and right now i think i have it? Is this what they call hives? I'm really worried right now b/c i probably have an allergic reaction to it. But the thing is i read hives itch a lot and i don't have any itching at all in those spots. So is there a chance it is somethign else? I googled and read ppl mention how after they applied neosporin, they had this as a side effect.

Does anyone know what i can do right now? I am very upset at what I did. At the moment, i'm just putting aloe vera gel on. Would that help? I'm so scared right now. Im going to throw that neosporin bottle in the garbage now because of this. I think this means 100 percent i have an allergic reaction but how long would it take for it to go away? My skin has been rough for like many days already.

Has anyone that gotten this reaction from neosporin please give me some advice? At the moment, I'm pretty sure i have hives but those hives don't itch at all? And each area of my skin is very rough.

Please give me advice Sad

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #2
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User
Re: Applied Too Much Neosporin Do I have an Infection?

Have you tried taking an antihistamine like Benadryl to see if that helps? It seems to me that if you had hives they would itch, but it's worth a try. You may want to try Benadryl cream or hydrocortisone cream in the future for bug bites instead.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
(male)

quickguide90012 HB User

Hi i have not tried any Benadryl. I'm afraid it might make things worst. I mean, it does itch but not that much like i read people talk about online.

Anyone else?

Old 08-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'd take the benedryl. The worse thing that can happen is that is makes you sleepy. And it might help. Or take zyrtec. That's what they usually recommend for hives.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
(male)

quickguide90012 HB User

Okay i just noticed that there are people who get allergic reaction to neosporin like 25 percent of the people. The thing is i'm allergic to amoxicillin. Does neosporin have amoxicillin? Because I think the ingredients in these 2 are the same? The thing is i googled amoxcillin rash and there is a chance i have this because of the neosporin?

Is my thinking probably right here?

Should i try taking topical benedryl? Is there a chance it can make those spots look WORST? Because i'm scared i used the neosporin and caused this rash on my face and using benedryl might make it worst? The thing is i don't have much itching and i read thats what benedryl is for? Also i read ppl who had allergic reaction to neosporin dont even have any itching but the skin is really red and broken.

What should i do???

Old 08-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

From your description, you may not have hives. You stated that your discoloration is like a brown spot. My brother had the same thing happen. In some of the more detailed descriptions of Neosporin side effects, it is listed as "infrequent". He found out he couldn't tolerage any medications in this class. Unfortunately, it took a very long time for his brown spot to fade.

It might be wise to have this checked by a doctor or dermatologist. You will need to be cautious of using other medications in this class in the future.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
(male)

quickguide90012 HB User

Hi. How long did it take for that brown mark to go away though? Was it just one or many?

Do you know if i should use the benedryl now then?

Old 08-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Benedryl is an antihistamine. It will help if you are having an allergic reaction. If you had an allergic reaction to all of the bites, it might help for that some as well. If you feel you have hives, it would be good to try.

If you have skin discoloration only as a side effect and not hives, the Benedryl probably won't really help.

My brother had a pretty severe brown skin discoloration on the area where he applied the Neosporin on his arm. It actually took a very long time for his discoloration to fade. Due to his development of severe allergies to topical ingredients, he didn't try to use anything to fade the discoloration and he let it heal naturally.

I really recommend seeing a doctor or dermatologist based upon your level of concern here.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
(male)

quickguide90012 HB User

Hi. Did he also get that red and rough skin as well or was all he got just the brown spots from neosporin? How many days did he apply it and how many days did it took for him to see those marks?

Umm... isn't it close to 100 percent i have an allergic reaction here since after putting the neosporin on for a few days... then this happened?

What im just worried is i read something that if you got an allergic reaction... you are suppose to use benadryl. Problem is this allergic reaction was caused by neosporin and not like say food. Does that make sense? I'm worried i can actually make things worser or can it not? Also the cream i have is a topical cream thats similar to benadryl thats extra strength. I mean, if i used it on mosquito bites, it probably would been good. But its just i'm afraid if i should use it or not since i used the neosporin. But if i don't try... then my face would have those spots for a long time.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:46 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Neosporin is not related chemically to benedryl so get that connection out of your mind. Take an antihistamine and see if it helps. Go see a dermatologist so you can determine exactly what the problem is and whether you should avoid neosporin in the future. I've quit using it and gone to other antibiotic creams at the school where I work. Too many people are becoming allergic to it and there are plenty of other products out there.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
(female)

Angelguirl HB User

Using a thick layer of neosporin on skin, even the healthy skin dries it out and turns it into a crispy thin scab. I have this happen on my face all the time thinking that it will make the scab heal faster because it's moist. But the neosporine ointment just melts and travel all over the face. Best thing to do is wash face with cetaphil...use lotion, if you mosquito bites itch use a little cortisone cream on it. Aloe is good to cool the skin down and give the dried out dark patchy skin some moisture. All that brown dark skin have to come off. Be patient it will heal. I know you are mad but hang in there. Neosporine gives off almost a slight chemical burn to skin when too much is apply for too many hours. There is this cream called biafine which is good to keep skin moisturized. I buy it online with out prescription since you said its your whole face.

Closed Thread