It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
(female)

PinkTwig HB User
Vacuums for Dust Allergy

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had adivce on a good vacuume for dust alergy sufferers. I have a eureka complete clean which works really well for a while but then the cansiter starts detarching from the base and then the dust just gets blown back out into the air which makes my allergies worse. I am looking to spend under $300. I have heard that sealed HEPA vacuume cleaners are the best HEPA filter you can buy. I was looking into electolux nibble. Any adivce at all would be helpful. Even if you have suggestions that do not apply to vacuumes but to dust allergy help in general I would love some adivce. Thanks so much!

Last edited by PinkTwig; 08-17-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Vacuums for Dust Allergy

Definitely, a HEPA vacuum is best. Other suggestions:

Keep things plain, avoid carpeting, knickknacks, etc.
Dust with a damp cloth or static dust collector, not a feather duster.
Wash your sheets in hot water every week
Consider a dust mite proof mattress cover.

From the medical side, try:

Saline nasal rinse twice a day
A daily antihistamine. (You might have to try several to find the best one for you.)
Allergy shots, if other treatments are inadequate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
(female)

PinkTwig HB User

Thank you so much for your info! I just saw a vacuum called the shark that looks pretty good online. It's under $200 so that's not too bad. Thanks so much again for your help! I will try all of those tips !

Old 08-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
(female)

ElleBelle19 HB User

Hey PinkTwig (like the name by the way) I suffer from crazy allergies and before we switched out our floors to hardwood, the best vacuum we had was the Shark with the HEPA filter. Not all Sharks have a HEPA filter so make sure you get the one that does. A good air purifier helps too! Also, because it's summer make sure you change your vent filters on your A/C, or have someone do it/clean it/have it serviced, so forth.

Take care!

Old 08-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
(female)

PinkTwig HB User

Thanks so much, I like your screen name too ! I wasjust looking into a shark and they seem pretty good. I was looking at the upright navigator NV351 the purple one. The only thing I'm worried about is the washable filter, were those hard to keep clean? All of the other vacuums I had came with filters you had to replace and clean out everytime you used it. The shark says it's a lifetime filter you wash out every 3 months. I will look into a protable HEPA filter too, I had onw a coupld of years ago but then I found out it was also an ionizor which let off ions so I got rid of that. Thanks so much again for your help! I really appricate it.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
(female)

PinkTwig HB User

Thank you again for all of your help. Sorry I have so many questions but if anyone has any input on these next few questions I would really appriciate it. I use Electrostatic filters in my house. I just got them this spring by a heating company in my area. They actaully plug in and you replace them every 3 months. I know they told me to vacume them off 10 days after I put a new one in but I read online that you have to keep them cleaned for them to work right. I tried e-mailing the company a couple times to ask how often I should vacuum them off but they never right back, dose anyone know? Also I found a HEPA filter online called honeywell true hepa compact allergen remover it has pretty good reviews but it only covers a 75 sq foot room and my room is about 115 sq. Right now I can only afford one at this price and I don't want to waste my money if it's not a true hepa filter. Should I get this anyway of is there no point if they rooms to big? Also has anyone put cheese cloth on the vets in their house to help with dust from blowing out of your furnace? And wht works better for your guys dusting with a swifter 360 or a dampl cloth? ALso I have never used a dustmite bed or pillow cover, what do they feel like are they plastic or fabric and do they have any smell to them? Thanks so much again for your help!

Last edited by PinkTwig; 09-01-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I personally have a HEPA filter in my bedroom only. I think I bought it from a hardware store. I also have the dust mite covers. They're actually fabric, just very tightly woven fabric. They cost about $100, but they seem to work pretty well, and they are perfectly comfortable on the bed.

Closed Thread