It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
(female)

Asurunner HB User
Can't handle this mystery allergy

Hi all, about 5 weeks ago I developed hives and small red blotchy rashes on my arms and legs which I attributed at first to poison ivy. They appear and disappear then reappear seemingly out of nowhere and after a few weeks I figured it wasn't poison ivy after all. It was getting worse and showing up other places on my body for about an hour at a time and then would go away and show up in a different area. I have taken two separate methyl prednisone packs and am meeting with an allergist this week which has unfortunately meant no antihistamines and I'm miserable. I have no clue what it is as I have had no new exposures to anything. I'm so uncomfortable, frustrated, and I'm pretty sure my doctor thinks I'm a hypochondriac. Just looking for words of encouragement, advice, or anyone who can relate.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Can't handle this mystery allergy

Soounds more like a stress reaction. If the allergist visit doesn't produce any results, I'd see a dermatologist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Hives happen sometimes. They might be caused by a food or medicine, or by something you touched. Since it started on your legs, a food is not the most likely explanation.

Under "something you touched" it could be: Soap, laundry soap, moisturizer, sunscreen, bug repellent, industrial cleansers, perfume, or anything you're exposed to at work. Remember, it could be something you've used for years, especially if the manufacturer tweaked the formula a bit, which they do all the time.

Or it could be a medicine or food, including one you've had safely before.

For now, the best way to reduce the itching is to physically stay cool. Getting hot and sweaty will make it worse, cool rooms, light clothing, and cool showers will help.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
(female)

cyberrat HB User

sounds like a milk allergy, have you recently changed brands? If you are allergic to penicillin it can sometimes be found it milk. If you get a blood test and they tell you its not milk dont believe it. My grand daughter was told this and was given cow milk and had a full body rash develop.

Closed Thread