It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User
Allergen Free Shampoo?

I have super sensitive skin, always have. I use Cetaphil cleanser and lotion and I use fragrance free laundry detergent. Lately my neck and sides of my face have been irritated. I'll get itchy red spots popping up on my skin. They almost look like a bug bite- they have a raised center and redness around. They get very itchy, I put hydrocortisone cream on them and they go away after about a half hour.

I'm pretty sure my hair products are the problem. I switched to a different shampoo and it actually made it worse, I got itchy red spots all over the back of my neck this morning after using Pantene. I had to shower again to get the stuff off of me.

Any recommendations for shampoos and conditioners for really sensitive skin? I have naturally curly hair and when I was doing some research it seems like a lot of them can be drying. Any suggestions would be great! I'm tired of being itchy!

Sometimes I'll have one on my face when I go to the Allergist to get my allergy shot, they must think I'm nuts. The shot nurse was like, "Well at long and it's not spreading.." LOL It's awesome being me.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User
Re: Allergen Free Shampoo?

I ended up buying Free and Clear brand shampoo, conditioner and hair gel. I am pleasantly surprised!

No itchy red spots so far (started using these yesterday) and my hair doesn't look any different. Just in case anyone else was curious!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You know, I was at a dermatologist this week, and she recommended that manufacturer. They also make something called Vanicream.

If you find that too expensive, right now I'm doing well with everything made by Dove, but of course you might be allergic to totally different things than I am!

I'm allergic to a lot of personal care products, and the dermatologist suggested I get patch testing to find out exactly what chemicals cause my reactions. It's a pretty good idea, actually, though thus far I haven't worked up the nerve to go through with it, since the process lasts 4 days.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
(female)

I haven't worked up the nerve to do the patch testing either. It just sounds so unpleasant. I went to a Dermatologist a couple years ago that told me to stick to Cetaphil and Dove products.

I also think some of my skin problems are from my environmental allergies. I'm less itchy now that I changed shampoos but I still got an itchy spot on my chin tonight. So maybe this shampoo isn't the answer to all my problems!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

The past few years, I've been getting a lot of hives on my face during allergy season. Sometimes my ears start swelling and getting icky, and once it paired up with a hair conditioner allergy to make my whole face, neck and upper chest swell.

Since I've gotten up to maintenance on my allergy shots, it's gone down dramatically. My skin is my most allergic organ by far, worse than my lungs or sinuses, and it sort of makes sense that I get "hay fever" by sprouting hives.

Antihistamines and avoiding the pollen, that's all there is to it. Also, when I've been outside on a high-pollen day, I immediately hit the nearest restroom and wipe down my face with cold water and a paper towel, just to get the stuff off. (Cold water only, don't put the soap from a public washroom on your face, of course!)

Old 08-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
(female)

That's encouraging to hear that the allergy shots helped with your hives. I have been dealing with them for years but they seem to be worse this year. Maybe because I have also developed a ragweed allergy, which I didn't have before. I get them so often that sometimes I have one when I'm getting my allergy shot. The shot nurse said it's fine as long as it's not spreading, but it sucks to have a hive on your face already before you even get the shot!

It's funny, I hardly have a stuffy nose or sinus problems. My allergies seem to manifest in skin problems and in asthma instead.

Unfortunately, I live with pets I am allergic to. I think as long as I have my pets, I will continue to have skin problems. Hopefully they get better. I finished my third set of allergy shot vials today, 10 more increases to maintenance.

I am moving to the Midwest this weekend. Hopefully my allergies don't get any worse! I am seeing the new Allergist a few days after I get there so I don't miss any allergy shots.

Closed Thread