It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
(female)

cyberrat HB User
Milk allergies connected to penicillin allergies.

My grand daughter is allergic to cows milk. She is also allergic to penicillin. Our allergist said penicillin was grown on cheese now but that there is no connection to making my grand daughter allergic to both. He gave her a blood test and said she was no longer allergic to milk and that he would be comfortable giving her a glass of milk. Ive also read that a lot of times penicillin can be found in cows milk due to it being given to cows.

Her dad started her on cows milk 1 oz with her soy milk and she ended up in the hospital with Ivs to get rid of her full body allergic reaction we were lucky that it did not effect her breathing. To me the fact that penicillin is grown on cheese and she reacted to it shows clearly that she would still be allergic to milk. Anyone out there have any experience with this?

Old 08-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Milk allergies connected to penicillin allergies.

Many people are allergic to one but not the other. I'm allergic to many antibiotics but not to milk.

For now, you just have to make sure she avoids both of them. Ask the doctor if her parents need to carry emergency medication, and when she goes to school, make sure that the school is aware of all her allergies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Milk allergies connected to penicillin allergies.

I'm allergic to penicillin and not to milk. And I'm 66 and been allergic to pencillin since about age 15 and never had a problem with milk - though I don't care for milk...but not allergic to it or any derivative.

Closed Thread