It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #1
(female)

Calamity77 HB User
Anaphylactic Shock

I had a very frightening experience last week which has never happened before. I took my medication one lunch-time (which included an antibiotic). 10 minutes later I came over feeling extremely unwell, managed to tell my husband to call an ambulance and 20 seconds later I was collapsed on the floor. I lost blood pressure, pulse, developed hypothermia (temp 32 degrees), respiratory problems and it took 3 hours to stablise me in the ER. At one stage they were saying they were not able to get me off the adrenaline and were going to administer it via a line into my neck.
Anyway, I spent 24 hours in ICU and another 3 days in hospital. It was discovered that I also have atrial fibrillation.
Physically now I feel fine. Emotionally I feel overwhelmed, frightened and uncomfortable in my environment. they are going to do allergy testing but that won't be for about a month. It is most likely that penicillin is the underlying allergen.
So, I am wondering, cause I feel a bit stupid that I am not easily just getting on with things. Is it normal to feel like this after a life threatening experience. Has anyone else struggled with this type of thing?

Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Anaphylactic Shock

Yes, it is normal to be anxious after a life-threatening experience, especially something like severe anaphylaxis. And the antibiotic IS the most likely culprit, unless you were eating something unusual for lunch.

Do you have emergency medicines in case it ever happens again? For now, though, it's OK to be a bit anxious. Just take it as it comes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
(female)

Calamity77 HB User

for the moment I have been told to keep well away from penicillin until the testing is complete. I have been told I will get a medic alert bracelet once they establish what it is. Personal I would have thought an adrenaline pen in the meantime would be a good idea given that it is questionable what it is that caused the reaction. It definitely was not food though. I had not eaten lunch cause I was actually feeling a bit under the weather anyway. I have been battling various infections for months (usual winter stuff). The meds I took were a blood pressure medication, paracetamol and an antibiotic.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

You could call your family doctor and ask for a script for an adrenalin pen. It's almost certainly a drug reaction, and the probability of you being exposed to penicillin accidentally in the next few weeks is pretty darned low, but I imagine having it would help you feel less stressed about all this.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Peniciilin comes in lots of different forms with different names. I would make sure you personally have a list of all PCN drugs, and an alert of anaphylaxis to PCN on your medical records AND with your pharmacist. Ampicillin and Augmentin are two examples. Some people with PCN allergies have a cross reaction allergy to cephalosporins, like Keflex, used commonly, so caution or allergy testing to those would be helpful also. I would get an Epipen and keep 50 mg of Benadryl with you. Also, always ask whenever you are prescribed an antibiotic if it is a PCN type antibiotic. We are assuming here it is the PCN, but that should be confirmed soon.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
(female)

Calamity77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
Peniciilin comes in lots of different forms with different names. I would make sure you personally have a list of all PCN drugs, and an alert of anaphylaxis to PCN on your medical records AND with your pharmacist. Ampicillin and Augmentin are two examples. Some people with PCN allergies have a cross reaction allergy to cephalosporins, like Keflex, used commonly, so caution or allergy testing to those would be helpful also. I would get an Epipen and keep 50 mg of Benadryl with you. Also, always ask whenever you are prescribed an antibiotic if it is a PCN type antibiotic. We are assuming here it is the PCN, but that should be confirmed soon.
Thanks. The doctor also told me to avoid cephalosporins. I won't be touching any antibiotics. in fact, I don't want to touch any medication other than what has been prescribed and already tested on me in hospital. I am terrified. Seeing my GP tomorrow to follow up my atrial fibrillation problem and organise allergist referral. Will ask about the Epipen. Quite frankly, the incident last week was so sudden (less than 30 seconds before I collapsed), I doubt i would have time to action much other than yell for help.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
(female)

Calamity77 HB User

The other thing is I am in my 40's. Have taken antibiotics on and off all my life. Never had allergic reaction to anything other than a Naan Bread once. And that was just hives. It's frightening, how, without warning, i can suddenly become so severely allergic. I struggle to understand how that can happen without any past history.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It has happened to me on more than one occasion.....penicillin, sulfa drugs, tetracycline and z pak - all I had taken at least once, some many more times, and then boom - a reaction. I'm on the no antibiotics list now. Had to have one last summer due to a surgery and there was a roundtable discussion with my surgeon, my allergist and my internist. They settled on 2 days of clindomycin at a minimum...bad decision, made me sick as a dog! Hope I don't have to have any more surgeries....

Old 08-28-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

I am so sorry to hear about this! This happened to my sister, except the doctors could never figure out what caused her to go into anaphylactic shock. Their best guess was a reaction to clothing that came back from the dry cleaners and yes, definitely ask about the epipen! Incidently, I do believe that anyone who has face a life threatening situation can relate to your feelings, even a less than life threatening crisis can cause this kind of stress. Hugs to you, Hope you get some answers soon and feel better!

Old 08-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
(female)

Calamity77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufous57 View Post
I am so sorry to hear about this! This happened to my sister, except the doctors could never figure out what caused her to go into anaphylactic shock. Their best guess was a reaction to clothing that came back from the dry cleaners and yes, definitely ask about the epipen! Incidently, I do believe that anyone who has face a life threatening situation can relate to your feelings, even a less than life threatening crisis can cause this kind of stress. Hugs to you, Hope you get some answers soon and feel better!
Does your sister carry an epipen with her now? I think it would be very unsettling to not know what the cause was.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

rufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB Userrufous57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity77 View Post
Does your sister carry an epipen with her now? I think it would be very unsettling to not know what the cause was.
Yes, she know has to carry the epipen. Their insurance isn't the greatest either, but this was a life or death situation and yes, it scared all of us that they don't have any answers as to what triggered it. To make matters worse, she has been tested for allergies and reacted to just about all of the irritants!

Old 08-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #12
(female)

71herrick HB User

I had a similar incident. My allergic reaction happened around July 4th a few years ago. Out of the blue, I had a terrible pain in my chest and started developing a hives. I ended up in the ER three times with my throat closing and covered with a rash from head to toe. The 4th time I was put in ICU for two days. The doctor ran a battery of tests and they all came up negative. Never found out what caused the reaction and that caused the most fear because I never knew what to avoid! I lost a lot of weight because I was avoiding all the foods I had eaten prior to having this problem (and basically drove my family nuts!) But, I went through allergy testing, got an epi pen, carry allergy medicines (disolving allergy pills are great to carry with you because you don't need water to take them). Hopefully, they will determine exactly what caused your reaction and you'll know what to avoid. Feel better!

Last edited by 71herrick; 08-29-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Closed Thread