It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
Meat (mammalian) allergy

I've seen a few posts about this but nothing recent. Is anybody on this board suddenly allergic to mammalian (beef, pork, lamb etc) meat? I was diagnosed several years ago with alpha gal allergy...hives, severe GI distress even anaphylactic shock after consuming meat products. Chicken and turkey are okay.
Just thought I'd put it out there. Many doctors are unfamiliar with it and it can be hard to diagnose as the symptoms occur 3 -6 hours after consumption.
If you have these symptoms...you aren't crazy (I thought I was for a while). Just do some research on "alpha gal" allergy and get your blood tested. Any question feel free to ask.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
(female)

BubblBoy HB User
Re: Meat (mammalian) allergy

My son is allergic to chicken and beef. Has not been test for the other animals though. I wonder if I should get him tested as he is still flared up and experiencing gut pain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

You might want to. This allergy is fairly isolated geographically. The mid Atlantic US and Australia are the only places it's been reported so far. I think it was discovered down your way first. I got diagnosed about 10 years ago when it was fairly new, but now there is some info about it on the Internet. If he does have it, it is fairly easily controlled (for me, anyway) with avoidance and Benadryl. It's just a real drag, especially for a kid. Good luck!

Old 11-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
(female)

BubblBoy HB User

So agree! Well, my boy is allergic to water so nothing else would surprise me lol

Old 12-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
(male)

dynamac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger62 View Post
I've seen a few posts about this but nothing recent. Is anybody on this board suddenly allergic to mammalian (beef, pork, lamb etc) meat? I was diagnosed several years ago with alpha gal allergy...hives, severe GI distress even anaphylactic shock after consuming meat products. Chicken and turkey are okay.
Just thought I'd put it out there. Many doctors are unfamiliar with it and it can be hard to diagnose as the symptoms occur 3 -6 hours after consumption.
If you have these symptoms...you aren't crazy (I thought I was for a while). Just do some research on "alpha gal" allergy and get your blood tested. Any question feel free to ask.
I have had it for 10 years. Maybe associated with lone star tick bite. Do you live on a farm or camp,hike or get in the woods very much. It is all feathers and fins for me too!

Thanks for your post,

Sam

Old 12-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey Sam!
I've had it for 10 years too but wasn't diagnosed til 2006. I live on the Outer Banks of NC right next to a Coastal Reserve. It's definitely from a tick bite. I had 5 serious anaphylactic reactions that scared the bejesus out of me. Did you get diagnosed by UVA? Nobody, and I mean nobody, where I live has ever heard of it. It is manageable but it really stinks when you go out to eat and aren't sure just what they've put in the food. UVA has a newsletter that you can sign up for to get updates. Did you know John Grisham has it too?
Nice to talk to a fellow sufferer. I'd love to swap ideas with you (turkey pepperoni...stuff like that).
Ginger

Old 12-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
(male)

dynamac HB User

I appreciate your reply. Yes, I had a vegan calzone cooked where lamb was and almost died. Call me some time if you get a chance. I have only talked to 1 person that had it. Tell me more about the UVA thing. I did see a CNN video on it. My allergist did't get it. No one does. There has to be some fix for the alpha-gal thing.
Thanks so much,
Sam

Last edited by moderator2; 12-06-2012 at 06:43 AM.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't think there is any fix other than avoidance. I had my blood tested and was diagnosed by Dr. Scott Commins at UVA.
Ginger

Last edited by moderator2; 12-06-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website

Old 05-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Hello, I developed a sudden beef allergy 2 years ago and had delayed anaphylaxis x 4 before I knew what was causing it. I was like how did I get a beef allergy? I am in my late 50's and have always eaten beef. Well I was led to an Alpha Gal and tick related allergy site. I live in Arkansas and ticks are a way of life here. I am going to have some blood work done tomorrow. After reading up on this it makes sense. I have allergies now, issues with dairy and terrible stomach problems and headaches. I never had any of this before. I seem to be sensitive to gluten but test negative for Celiac. Now I have read that if you are positive for Alpha Gal you will have digestive issues. Oleander

Old 05-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I came back with a Moderate High Positive for Alpha Gal. I already knew it would be positive. Now it explains so many things. I have had this a very long time.

I cannot eat Beef, Pork, Lamb, Milk, bread, dairy, Chicory and anything that has Oliosaccharides.

I am relieved but distressed too. It has taken me years to figure this out. And yes I figured it out.

As long as I avoid meat, gluten, Dairy and Chicory I am okay. I hope this helps someone else.

Oleander

Closed Thread