It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
(female)

Annie101 HB User
So . . desperate enough to schedule sinus surgery

I have terrible allergies and have since I was very young. I've had a most difficult year with being unable to control them (I guess I'm not alone in that one). Repeat sinus infections - which, though I continue to work and take care of my son (house and two dogs) - are very debilitating.

I'm sure everyone here knows the drill -headache, facial pain, extreme fatigue; brain fog; all of which bring out my cranky side.

Long story short - I stopped taking allergy shots two years ago when I moved. Finally made an appointment with an ENT here and had a CT Scan. He stated I have some chronic infection in my ethmoid sinus, some chronic inflammation, a bone spur, and deviated septum.

My daily regimen is: allegra 180; sudafed; Mucinex; Flonase, and have just started round two of antibiotics.

I'm scared of the surgery; but my friends that have had it all felt better. I will still have serious allergies to deal with though .. . I can't stand the thought of having splints stuck up my nose for days but keep telling myself maybe it will be worth it. Ugh. Currently feels like I have sludge moving through my nose, face and through.

Thanks for letting me vent. No one believes how bad allergies/sinus can really make you feel.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: So . . desperate enough to schedule sinus surgery

I know that things are done differently today and by different doctors but I'm not aware of anyone having splints in their nose after surgery = at least not by an ENT. Are you having a plastic surgeon do it? They might use them. I didn't with mine and have a friend who had hers done this past week and she didn't. I was and have been completely happy with mine.

But do block out a week for it and just stay home and relax! Good healing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
(female)

Annie101 HB User

It's an ENT and I just got a paper in the mail saying the splints might be in for a week; Not sure I can handle that ~ it might be the dealbreaker for me.

Another round of allergy testing perhaps?

Thanks for your good wishes; I'm glad yours went well.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, if you have a deviated septum all the allergy testing and meds in the world won't help that condition. We all have some sinus drainage and a deviated septum just makes it harder to deal with. Are the splints inside the nose or on the outside? Outside is no big deal...I had that. Just odd to me that they would be inside. Usually it's a lot of packing - which really is awful. Have to level with you there!

Hope it all goes well. It really will be worth it in the end.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Annie101 (10-06-2012)
Closed Thread