It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
(male)

dreammariner HB User
Allergic rhinitus, no medicine seems to help

I have struggled with allergic rhinitus to dust for years. My throat is perpetually covered in mucus, which aside from making annunciation rather hard, is also rather uncomfortable. It reduces my ability to talk, smell, and overall enjoy life. I've tried relatively everything and seen many doctors. Flonase and allegra seem to help most in combination with a purifier, but the effect is minimal. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Dan

Old 10-19-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
Re: Allergic rhinitus, no medicine seems to help

If you go to your pharmacy there is a nasal rinse that is sold along with the mixture and it is not expensive. Rinse your nose twice a day with this and it does wonders. It comes in a small plastic bottle and has a black top.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
(male)

dreammariner HB User

Thank you for the response Dana. Unfortunately I have tried both the netipot as well as saline nasal spray. It helped a bit, but nothing significant as well.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

What about allergy injections? Dust mite allergies usually respond well to them.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

good response. I could not live without them!!!

Old 10-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
(male)

dreammariner HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
What about allergy injections? Dust mite allergies usually respond well to them.
I tried them for about seven months. It may have been early to quit but I saw no results.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I usually takes a year to see an appreciable difference. Some folks get relief at 6 months or so but I would say not the majority. Since it's a 5 year regimen, it obviously would take more than 7 months to show that it's worked.

Last edited by Titchou; 10-20-2012 at 06:42 AM.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
(male)

lespauldude HB User

Did you get any sort of reaction to the allergy shots? Usually those who are most sensitive get the greatest benefits. If they had no negative impact on you then I would have quit after 6 months as well.

Here are some other suggestions of which some I'm sure you've heard of:

1. Try getting rid of dust mites in your bed and pillows.
2. Do you have a long commute or use the car daily? Consider installing or replacing your cabin filter.
3. Turn your purifier (with hepa) onto max and let it run for a few days. I've been told that the low settings usually don't cut it for allergy sufferers.
4. Consider the possibility that your throat mucus may not be caused by dust but allergies to something else airborne or foods. Do research from alternate perspectives outside of dust allergies.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User

The therapy I'm on which is 3 drop on tongue every month takes 3yrs.

Closed Thread