It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User
Anyone have dustmite allergies? Need help

My doctors told me I have 4/5 dust mite allergy from blood tests.However I do not suffer normally like red itchy eyes, sneezing. I have facial swelling and pain, eyes are sensative to light when sinuses are bad.used to have PND but it ran worst in summer heat same with dry mouth which is gone. I find the face swelling bad especially around Eustachian tubes, then I get dizzy. I also have soy allergy which is new to me,

Old 11-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Anyone have dustmite allergies? Need help

So, zyrtec, injections, what treatment do you plan? Injections are great for dust mites...usually.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Dust mites are common causes of allergies and they are everywhere you find dust, particularly in bed linens and on mattresses where they feed on dead skin cells sloughed off during sleep. There are many preventive meausres that can reduce dust mites, such as hypoallergenic pillow covers that go under the pillow case. frequent linen changes on bed, hypoallergenic mattress cover, washing sheets and blankets in hot water, and frequent dusting and vacuuming around the house. A HEPA air filtration system that circulates room air through a filter to remove dust, pollen, animal dander and dust mites is helpful especially in the bedroom. Hard floor surfaces that can be damp mopped rather than carpet is helpful, as well as avoiding heavy drapes that hold dust. With facial swelling, an antihistamine taken at night may help the reaction and help you sleep. Frequent pillow case changes will keep the dust mites off your facial skin at night.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:39 AM   #4
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User

I'm starting immunotherapy in 2 weeks. It is a 3 yr program so ill have to be patient. My question is why do dustmites cause chronic facial pain and or pressure!? Even during the day? Some says are easier than others but still

Old 11-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Allergies typically cause swelling and inflammation of the upper respiratory system so the pain is from your nasal passages which in turn cause facial pain, eye pressure, ear pressure, etc. You don't have to sneeze or have watery eyes for sinus pressure to manifest itself.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
(female)

BubblBoy HB User

My son has severe dust mite allergies. We have a vacuum that has a HEPA filter, only keep enough clothes in for one week so the dust does not build up, wash his clothes in hot hot wash, use dryer to kill dustmite. We use a pillow and mattress protector and also have hypoallergenic pillow and duvet inner. The higher the thread count with the sheet, the better also. So we get at least 200 thread count. We have ripped up the carpets and laid anti microbial carpets (although wooden floors are best). We got rid of all the clutter around the house including teddies, blankets in lounge etc. We have his toys in a plastic box and removed all soft ones. He is also on a 2x daily anti histamine for allergies. He has eczema so I never let him use the same clothes twice as they eat the dead skin cells. We have lined his drawers with plastic and I damp cloth clean his room every day. Also a good one is cotton/muslin curtains so they are washable. My son gets hives and swelling from dustmite and says he feels like his skin burns. His eczema flares up and gets asthma attacks. I hope this helps. It sounds OTT to do all this but it has made a significant difference in our life as he never used to sleep before from being in so much pain. You may have a sinus infection from the build up which is what it sounds like to me so maybe get that checked

Old 11-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
(male)

Thanks for the info, the swelling comes and goes. For example it's 3c today in Montreal so I was outside and felt better.as soon as I'm back inside or driving in my truck with the heat on it starts up again

Old 11-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
(female)

BubblBoy HB User

Do you have a dehumidifier?

Old 11-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #9
(male)

No I keep seeing posts on the benefits of dehumidifier for dust mites. Does humidity really play a large roll? I thought once the summer heat went away I was as good as gold but seems that's not the case. Also I find where my allergies are st their highest ,I have muscle tension as well

Old 11-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
(female)

BubblBoy HB User

Same thing happens to my son. The dehumidifier takes away the humidity away from the air, therefore removing their chances to breed. In NZ we have something called an HRV system that you cant put in your home. But Dehumidifiers are cheaper and do the job. There is something in the US called OZONE. You could read up on that but you sort of have to weigh up chemicals over the allergy if you choose to do that

Old 11-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
(male)

The only two things I do not understand is my sensativity to light , somedays nothing others a little ( but I don't have redness,itchy eyes at all).ANd the random face swelling which frankly is really starting to tick me off .Its always upper teeth,jaw, below ears and rarely bridge of nose( yet no runny nose,sneezing and no more throat problems since the heat is gone).No matter what I take this pressure and pain/ Dizzyness just never completely goes away.Im starting to wonder if its not a food allergy like my soy allergy.I thought I could have been a celiac but I had a full gluten panel test and turns out I don't react to gluten.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #12
(female)

BubblBoy HB User

Maybe is is sinisitus? My Mum had this and there was so much pressure in her face. Might want to get it checked out to rule out other things first

Old 11-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
(male)

I was told that's more than possible and it's probably caused by my dust mite allergy that's gotten worse with age.My allergist keeps me on singulair + Claritin 24 hr and a steroid nasal spray and neti pot.I start my expensive immunotherapy for dust mites,pollen and trees Friday this week.Only 36 months left to go

The following user gives a hug of support to Liquidplasma:
BubblBoy (11-06-2012)
Closed Thread