It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
(female)

mej1 HB User
Does this sound an allergy?

For the past two weeks I have had what I believe is a cold. For the last week I have had a runny nose that produces clear snot. Up until Tuesday night I needed to take a decongestant and expectorant. Wednesday I was feeling much better and didn't need to take any medications.

Yesterday (Thursday) I went to a relative's house and almost immediately after entering the house I began having issues with a runny nose, phlegm, and a very minor sore throat. I decided to take a decongestant and expectorant, which did help somewhat. However, there were two or three occasions where there was an excess of snot when I blew my nose, and it was yellow instead of clear.

Later, when I went home, all my symptoms disappeared and I felt much better. The relative had a fragrance I suspect I may be allergic to. Everytime I have gone over there and they have been "burning" that particular fragrance, I have had throat irritation. But yesterday, with the excess and yellow snot, I was more than a little disturbed.

Does it sound like I am allergic to that particular fragrance? And was the excess and yellow snot, probably a response to that allergy? I just thought it was weird that the only time during the last 1-2 weeks that I've had yellow snot is when I was at the relative's house. And it makes me wonder if maybe I didn't have a cold, maybe the whole thing is an allergy. I just didn't think a sore throat was an allergy symptom. By the way, I don't typically have allergy problems, or at least if I do, it's never been bad enough to actually notice.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-20-2014 at 03:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Does this sound an allergy?

It certainly sounds like you are sensitive to the fragrance. Try an anithistamine about 2-4 hours before you go over there. Zyrtec is good.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
(female)

adpace HB Useradpace HB User
Re: Does this sound an allergy?

I agree - sounds like a mild allergy. Zyrtec is good if you need something daily, but not so much for short term use. Benadryl, if you can deal with the side effects is much more effective if you are only taking it occasionally. The yellow "snot" isn't that big a deal unless it is consistent. It can signify a sinus infection, but in your case, it just sounds like a normal allergic reaction or sensitivity. If it turns green or you start feeling bad and/or have continual yellow mucus for several weeks, a visit to your doctor may be in order.

Closed Thread