It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
(female)

Minx65 HB User
Can Exposure to Allergens Gradually Desensitise?

I've been asthmatic for forty years but have for the most part been well under control with inhalers over the years. I've had only maybe three occasions when I've had serious attacks, none of which have resulted in hospitalisation, though I was an out-patient for some time. I also get the odd skin allergies - usual things, metals, detergents, some animal saliva/scratches, but nothing really serious.

As a teenager, I was tested and reacted to a variety of allergens, pollens, grass, household dust/mite and mould being the strongest reactions, with lower grade reactions to animal hair, feathers, etc. I had a couple of courses of desensitisation injections when I used to suffer badly from hay-fever (not so bad these days).

As an animal lover, I'd like to think I could have a household pet again. I had two border collies (together) for 11 years, and much earlier two cats for 11 years. On both occasions, shortly after I got them, my asthma worsened and I had to increase my medication and take anti hystamines for a while, maybe six weeks or so but eventually things settled down. In the case of the collies, after we'd had them for three years, I had to put them in quarantine for six months when we returned to the UK, and once we were reunited I went through another bad spell for a few weeks, even though we'd been fine together for most of the initial three years.

Has anyone else found that after initial exposure to animal allergens you can develop a resistance? Can anyone recommend any measures to cope with this apparent initial period of de-sensitisation?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Can Exposure to Allergens Gradually Desensitise?

Hi,
I also have been an Asthmatic for 42yrs, was hospitalised twice but on the whole my Asthma is under control with two Inhalers and since I moved 13 yrs ago from the UK to Ireland, I have had hardly any problems with my Asthma. I got a cat 12 yrs ago and had no problems with his fur and yet in the Uk I had both problems with a cat I had there and pollen.
Two months ago I adopted a young ferall cat who has settled in really well with us.
For the first six weeks she was with us I sneezed constantly, and developed itchy eyes, my Asthma was not a problem. I now find I am not sneezing hardly at all, but this could be because I have invested in an Air-Filter machine.
I cannot say how you would react to a pet as wer'e all different, why not give it a go and see how you feel. A good Air-Filter may help as mine is said to collect pet dander but I think it's a
combination of things with some peoples Asthma and it's a case of trial and elimination,
I wish you well,

Solofelix.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
(female)

Minx65 HB User

Thanks for responding so quickly. Can you tell me what kind of air filter you've got, please?

Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx65 View Post
Thanks for responding so quickly. Can you tell me what kind of air filter you've got, please?

"Yes"

It's a FILTRETE AIR FILTER, Look it up Online.
It also collects pollen and dust.

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
Minx65 (12-30-2012)
Old 01-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

Quote:
I've been asthmatic for forty years but have for the most part been well under control with inhalers over the years. I've had only maybe three occasions when I've had serious attacks, none of which have resulted in hospitalisation, though I was an out-patient for some time. I also get the odd skin allergies - usual things, metals, detergents, some animal saliva/scratches, but nothing really serious.

As a teenager, I was tested and reacted to a variety of allergens, pollens, grass, household dust/mite and mould being the strongest reactions, with lower grade reactions to animal hair, feathers, etc. I had a couple of courses of desensitisation injections when I used to suffer badly from hay-fever (not so bad these days).

As an animal lover, I'd like to think I could have a household pet again. I had two border collies (together) for 11 years, and much earlier two cats for 11 years. On both occasions, shortly after I got them, my asthma worsened and I had to increase my medication and take anti hystamines for a while, maybe six weeks or so but eventually things settled down. In the case of the collies, after we'd had them for three years, I had to put them in quarantine for six months when we returned to the UK, and once we were reunited I went through another bad spell for a few weeks, even though we'd been fine together for most of the initial three years.

Has anyone else found that after initial exposure to animal allergens you can develop a resistance? Can anyone recommend any measures to cope with this apparent initial period of de-sensitisation?
When I first got my cat, I noticed a definite increase in my allergies. I didn't know I was allergic when I got him. It took months for me to build up a tolerance. I still have to take an antihistamine every day but am able to live with my cat without many issues. I make sure to wash our bedding a couple times a week and have a HEPA filter next to my bed.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
(female)

Minx65 HB User

Thanks for that - had you ever had a cat before? Or is it just this one that's provoked your allergies? I think it may be particular to certain animals.

I've had a longish period without dogs, maybe 4/5 years and last year I enrolled as a foster carer for the local animal shelter, to give short respite stays for dogs not coping well in kennels whilst new owners were found. (Because we travel a lot I can't really have a permanent animal just yet.) The first dog who came to stay was a lurcher/whippet type and apart from a few 'hives' type skin eruptions I had no other problems. The second dog was a Doberman/GSD and after a couple of days I started wheezing badly and had to increase the use of inhalers, and take antihistamines. Then I bought some face-masks which helped a lot for the remainder of the dog's stay with us. After he'd gone to his new owners, the symptoms receded over a couple of weeks which I supposed was residual dander around the house. And now I find that when I return home after six or seven weeks away, there's an initial resurgence of wheezing when I return home, which dispels over a couple of days.

I've not fostered any dogs for a while, and might have to wait until the summer months when I can have doors and windows open and spend a lot of time in the garden.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
(female)

MeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB UserMeezerWheezer HB User

Quote:
Thanks for that - had you ever had a cat before? Or is it just this one that's provoked your allergies? I think it may be particular to certain animals.

I've had a longish period without dogs, maybe 4/5 years and last year I enrolled as a foster carer for the local animal shelter, to give short respite stays for dogs not coping well in kennels whilst new owners were found. (Because we travel a lot I can't really have a permanent animal just yet.) The first dog who came to stay was a lurcher/whippet type and apart from a few 'hives' type skin eruptions I had no other problems. The second dog was a Doberman/GSD and after a couple of days I started wheezing badly and had to increase the use of inhalers, and take antihistamines. Then I bought some face-masks which helped a lot for the remainder of the dog's stay with us. After he'd gone to his new owners, the symptoms receded over a couple of weeks which I supposed was residual dander around the house. And now I find that when I return home after six or seven weeks away, there's an initial resurgence of wheezing when I return home, which dispels over a couple of days.

I've not fostered any dogs for a while, and might have to wait until the summer months when I can have doors and windows open and spend a lot of time in the garden.
I had a cat since I was a kid and although I am allergic to all cats, I had a lesser reaction to him. It was when I got my Siamese that I noticed a big difference in my allergies. I still have him and I get an occasional hive but it's manageable and he sleeps in my bed. I am also allergic to dogs and there are definitely breeds that I have a much stronger reaction to. I stayed with a friend once who had some kind of water dog and I had a bad asthmatic reaction. Same thing with labs. However, I'm able to live with a Boston Terrier without issues as long as I keep him out of my bed. I spent an hour with him before we got him, breathing into his fur and letting him lick me before I gave my husband the OK to get him. I do a lot of laundry (the throw blankets on the couch and our bedding) and that seems to help with my itchy skin.

My personal theory is that there are some dogs that I am allergic to just their saliva and some that I am allergic to both their dander and saliva. Just my personal theory. Since there are some dogs that I just get a couple hives with and others I can't breathe around. (I also have asthma)

Last edited by MeezerWheezer; 01-02-2013 at 05:31 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to MeezerWheezer For This Useful Post:
Minx65 (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #8
(female)

Minx65 HB User

You're right about certain breeds. One type I have an instant (and acute) reaction to is King Charles Spaniels. I once went to someone's house for dinner, where they had 2 KC's. Within minutes I was wheezing, and within an hour had to go outside and then leave early. The same people asked us to house-sit while they were away, and put them in kennels but it was still a disaster as there must have been so much dander around the house. KC's are real no-no's for me, it's an instantaneous reaction. But I thought Portuguese Water Dogs were supposed to be non-allergenic.

That's an interesting distinction between dander and saliva allergies. It would be nice to think they were mutually exclusive. I'm glad you've found one you can live with.

Closed Thread