HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Allergies (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/)
-   -   Bed Allergy? Would love some advice (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/allergies/941863-bed-allergy-would-love-some-advice.html)

redrob2 03-08-2013 02:08 PM

Bed Allergy? Would love some advice

I'm a 34 year old male who over the past couple of months has developed what I believe is an allergic reaction to my bed. I started waking up a couple months ago with red welts/hives on my sides and hips. Depending on the day there could be 5-10 or my entire side. Up until this last week they could appear from my knees to my neck. I have been on a steady course of Zyrtec for the past 3 weeks. This kept the hives pretty much non-existent. This past week the hives were coming back despite being on Zyrtec. I noticed within about 10 minutes of getting into the bed a couple nights my lips would start getting welts. Last night it got to the point my face was covered with large welts. I have also had a couple times where I would have coughing fits in bed and would cough clear mucus for about 30 minutes and needed an inhaler to get some relief. Needless to say I need to figure out what is going on with me.

The mattress is a latex top and a polyurethane core. It's about 20 months old and have never had problems before this. I've been to the doctor and they ran a ton of tests. I passed every bloodwork test and there were quite a few. One included an IGE latex allergy test which came back negative. I have not been to an allergist yet because they are so booked (I go on 3/20). My wife sleeps in the same bed and has experienced no issues so it's not bed bugs. I don't ever experience these hives when sitting around the house in different chairs or on the floor. We have mainly hardwood floors and some area rugs. I've thought it could be dust mites, polyurethane or maybe latex (possible false negative test?) allergy.

I'm growing increasingly frustrated what I could be allergic to and just scared going to sleep at night. Sleeping in other areas of the house seems to help but would love to know if anyone has had a similar experience. Any ideas what's in this mattress that I'm allergic to? Thanks!

MountainReader 03-08-2013 05:13 PM

Re: Bed Allergy? Would love some advice

Hi,

I wish you well. I haven't had personal experience so I can't speak to that. I do know that latex allergies can develop at any time. My orthodontist had conversations with me about that when he stopped using latex in his practice after he had some patients become allergic to orthodontic latex elastics midway through treatment.

Dandy33 03-08-2013 07:52 PM

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]Could it possibly be that your wife or whoever does the laundry has started to use a different washing powder or something like that? Or perhaps it may be something you are having for supper before going to bed...Just a thought!
Do hope you soon find out what it is as I know only too well how awful these allergies can be.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Titchou 03-09-2013 05:33 AM

Have you tried a benedryl at bed time? It might be worth a shot to see if adding that helps till you get a handle on this.

ladybud 03-09-2013 08:37 AM

It certainly could be related to the mattress, but also laundery detergent, dryer sheet allergy. Dust mites are a common cause. You can buy hypoallergenic mattress and pillow covers, which help if dust mites. Vacuum your mattress well and wash your pillows in hot water before putting them on. Down pillows and comforters can cause allergies as many people are allergic to feathers. (Can be tested along with dust mite allergies.) I would switch out all your bedding and use 100% cotton sheets washed in hypoallergic detergent with no other products until you figure this out. You could wear a latex surgical glove on one hand as a test for latex allergy (or a latex bandaid on inner forearm) to see if you react and had a false negative test result.