It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
(male)

suffer_bad21 HB User
Benadryl alternative

Hello,

I was having a lot of issues such as fatigue, sore throat, and water retention (all over but particularly in my face).

By testing out foods, I found out that I am allergic to gluten. Whenever I eat it I get extremely fatigued within a half hour and almost always fall asleep.

It also causes my face to swell up like a balloon along with water retention throughout my whole body. I eliminated gluten from my diet and it has helped tremedously, but I still had some water retention, though not as bad.

I started taking benadryl and it completely took care of my water retention. My moon face and double chin went away the first day I took it.

However, I noticed that benadryl was making me sleep way to deep and it would be really hard to get up in the morning. It was also making me feel depressed and anxious. I stopped taking it and the side effects went away, but now I'm stuck with a bloated face again.

Does anyone know of any alternatives that won't put me into a deep sleep and won't make me depressed/anxious?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Benadryl alternative

Well, benedryl is the PM in Tylenol PM so it is not surprising that it made you drowsy. Try one of the other OTC antihistamines - claritin or zyrtec to start and see how they work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
(male)

suffer_bad21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Well, benedryl is the PM in Tylenol PM so it is not surprising that it made you drowsy. Try one of the other OTC antihistamines - claritin or zyrtec to start and see how they work.
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it!

I purchased a box of Claritin Reditabs. I am going to try these out. I noticed Zyrtec has lactose monohydrate listed as one of it's ingredients. I suspect that I might have a dairy allergy also, so I stay away from that.

I would like to have an allergy test done, but I've heard mixed reviews. A lot of people say that they aren't very accurate. What are your recommendations and views on allergy testing?

Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It depends on what kind of testing you have. Skin scratch tests for environmental allergies and blood tests for food allergies are reliable. but the other way around, not so much. Of course, you have to be prepared to delete the offending item from your life or undergo allergy injections. Just knowing what you are allergic to doesn't do much if you don't do something beyond the testing...

Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
(male)

suffer_bad21 HB User

Quote:
It depends on what kind of testing you have. Skin scratch tests for environmental allergies and blood tests for food allergies are reliable. but the other way around, not so much. Of course, you have to be prepared to delete the offending item from your life or undergo allergy injections. Just knowing what you are allergic to doesn't do much if you don't do something beyond the testing...
Alright, I will check the local clinic and see what type of testing they offer. Also, I am definitely prepared to delete the offending item(s) from my life. I have no problem with that whatsoever. I took the Claritin yesterday and I woke up today feeling a lot better. My face isn't as bloated and my throat wasn't sore. I also didn't have the ridiculous fatigue that I usually wake up with.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Good. Glad it worked for you.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
(male)

suffer_bad21 HB User

Perhaps it's not working as well as I thought. The allergies are wrecking me. My face is always bloated. It's weird because I work out a lot and have a body fat percentage in the low single digits, so my body physically looks ripped, but my face looks like it should be on a fat person. It's very odd.

So far I suspect my food allergies to be (gluten, dairy, basically all nuts, soy, eggs). It's getting hard to find foods to eat. It also sucks because I can't use chap stick because it has gluten. I can't use burt bee's wax because it has soy and if some gets in my mouth my throat swells up and it gets really hard to swallow.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Well, an antihistamine won't really help with food allergies - just environmental ones.

And check out L'Occitane's lip balm...you m ay be able to use it. I love it.

Last edited by Titchou; 04-07-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
(male)

suffer_bad21 HB User

Quote:
Well, an antihistamine won't really help with food allergies - just environmental ones.

And check out L'Occitane's lip balm...you m ay be able to use it. I love it.
I will be sure to check out that lip balm. But when I was taking benadryl my face bloat went away within a day or so.

Closed Thread