It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
(female)

confusedallergy HB User
Question Is there a reliable blood test for food allergies?

This question has multiple parts because I'm super confused right now:
I recently got tested for allergies at a local hospital (skin ***** test) - they did the usual environmental tests as well as a few different foods (soy, wheat, cow's milk, egg, peanuts, chocolate). I reacted to several trees (birch was the worst) as well as some grasses, and cats. I also reacted badly to peanuts, which was a shock. I've never had trouble eating peanuts or peanut butter before, but I've learned not to eat pesto as it gives me severe stomach cramps, bloating, gas, and diarrhea. I've always figured I'm allergic to pine nuts for this reason. Is this a valid assumption?

I want to avoid whatever foods I'm allergic to in an attempt to cut down on any unnecessary inflammatory responses in my body, as I have PCOS and endometriosis in addition to the allergies. I know that some environmental allergies relate to food allergies, and I'm trying to figure out what else I'm allergic to, but I don't know how to do it. The roof of my mouth gets really itchy when I eat Hidden Valley Ranch dressing, Pizza Hut pizza, pineapple, and kiwi. I get the same feeling from broccoli as I do from pesto. The broccoli, pineapple, and kiwi are simple enough, but how do I figure out what's in the dressing and pizza sauce? And should I avoid peanuts, even though I don't notice an immediate reaction from them? Is there some sort of blood test I could have done to check for other food allergies?

Thank you for your help!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to confusedallergy For This Useful Post:
Liz926 (04-19-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Is there a reliable blood test for food allergies?

Typically food allergies are best revealed by the blood test not the skin scratch test. I'd see an allergist for proper testing. Also look up OAS (oral allergy syndrome) and see if that fits on the fruit and veggies.

Closed Thread

Tags
allergies, food, inflammation, pcos, peanuts