It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
(female)

JenPlus2 HB User
Alternatives to antihistamines?

Hi all,
Just wondering if you have any suggestions of alternatives for antihistamines? I'm doing allergy shots and nasal saline but am still reacting. I've done antihistamines for so long that I think they've dried me out too much. I've tried increasing my fluid intake with them, but it does no good. I keep reacting to the shots too, I'm very close to maintanence, so I need something. Any thoughts? I've tried: Zyrtec, xyzal, singulair, Flonase, occasional prednisone, and quercetin (natural antihistamine). Honestly most of these, even the non antihistamines, dry me out. I have no idea what to do or take. My allergist is aware of my shot reactions, etc. I'm starting to wonder, as I previously have posted on this board, if the allergy shots are causing the symptoms. I started to experience a decrease in allergy symptoms for awhile, only to have them flare back up in January (its freezing in Chicago by then). My only thought is the combination of the shots and increased exposure to my worst allergens (mold/dust mites) is what has caused this huge 3 month increase in symptoms. Any thoughts? I've tried to avoid exposure as much as possible, been diligent about cleaning our bedroom thoroughly (actually have my husband do it so I'm not exposed , and he's very good about it). *****frustration*****

Jen

Old 04-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Alternatives to antihistamines?

You ask your doctor about Xolair. It's expensive and your insurance may not cover it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I've been on the Xolair for a couple years. I've also been receiving immunotherapy for almost 6 years. I was able to come off of all 4 allergy meds within a year of going on the Xolair.

It is extremely expensive (about $1000/shot) and my insurance wouldn't cover it despite repeated appeals from my doctor. I finally got sponsored by the manufacturer foundation who pays all but $4 of my treatment each shot.

Have you looked into NAET treatments? If you are looking at natural approaches. It is increasing in popularity and I know people who swear by how well it works. I haven't tried it because I was several years into immunotherapy when I found out about it. They just did a big news article on it on one of my local stations this week.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
(female)

pisces320 HB User

Hi! I took antihistamines for years and found them to ultimately cause too much drying of the sinuses. Try steaming your sinuses rather than a saline rinse if you want to knock out tough congestion. You can just heat up a cup of water, then lean over it with a towel over your head to inhale the steam. A naturopathic doctor recommended the following natural supplements that have both antihistamine and anti-inflammatory properties and don't cause the same drying effects.... Quercitin - my fav! It works great. Also proanthocyanidins/grapeseed extract, stinging nettle, and I've heard butterbur works wonders too but don't take it if you're allergic to ragweed as it's in the same family. Also, somewhat out of desperation to resolve my allergies in a more permanent manner and naturally, I tried a form of biofeedback called cold laser therapy or stress reduction therapy.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-28-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
(female)

JenPlus2 HB User

Thanks Pisces!
I totally forgot about quercetin! I literally have a bottle sitting here and have no idea why I forgot it! I'm gonna restart it as soon as I can as I have now developed a raging sinus infection from my stupid allergies + my dsughter's cold. I'm a mess! Will maybe hafta post a thread about that to get some advice on this too.
Jen

Closed Thread