It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
(female)

Ivorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB User
What's Going On Here... This is Scarey

Hi All

I am hoping to get some answers to what may going on with me.

Two days ago I noticed a few welts on the side of my chest, nothing alarming.

Later in the afternoon my lower lip started swelling up enough that my hubby and daughter noticed it.

I figured it was probably some type of allergic reaction so I took two benadryl and within 20 minutes the swelling went away.

Yesterday the few welts were down but in the afternoon my upper lip swelled up much worse than the lower one did the previous day and I had more welts than before along my bra line but not alot but enough to notice the itching and discomfort.

The lip really was bad to the point that it went up to my nose and really freaked me and the family out.

So I popped two Benadryl again and called my GP knowing that this was only going to get worse.

Saw GP who wanted me to stop all my maintenance meds I take for a chronic back disability (Piroxicam, Skelaxin and Hydrocodon)

I've been on these meds for 15-20 years but from what GP tells me you can develop an allergy at anytime despite how many years you've been on them.

I've been on the Skelaxin for 3 weeks (it's a med I've been on for many years but take when my back goes out requiring a muscle relaxant which is usually 2-3 times a year) and had weaned myself off of it two days prior to the rash and swelling of lips started. And the last dose of Hydrocodone I took was over a week before that. I take the Piroxicam daily and was still on that when the rash and swelling started.

Only thing that was new recently is a tooth whitening system that I got from my dentist....I've used the product before doing the upper teeth a few months ago and was starting on the lower but stopped due to some sensitivity but that was about a week ago.

GP wanted to start me on Prednisone, I filled the script and saw the precautions and was quite concerned about the warnings especially in terms of those with high blood pressure, history of diverticulitis etc. both of which I do have.

Also, my maternal grandmother had manic depression and my youngest daughter had a med induced mania/Bipolar with an antidepressant so that also had me quite nervous about starting on a steroid.

I called my GP back this morning and asked if there was another alternative and although he wasn't happy about it he told me I could try taking Allegra 180mgs a day and Benadryl as needed with me promising if things got bad again to start the Prednisone.

So far so good and no swelling today.

I have an appointment with an Allergist on Friday and am trying to keep myself from anything that may be the culprit until then.

I just was wondering what to expect from the Allergist??? And what I can do that I am not already doing until then.

This is my first day without my antiinflammtory (piroxicam) and my back is having a tough time of it.

I am wondering if I can at least take Motrin until I see the allergist since I usually don't take that and if it gets bad take some of my Hydrocodon.

Thanks for listening.....this has been rather scary because my fear is that if I don't figure this out that my throat may close up because each time I have a reaction it gets worse.

Any advice would be so appreciated.

~ Ivory

Last edited by Ivorygirl; 04-30-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: What's Going On Here.....This is Scarey

The pollen is very high where I live and I broke out in little red bumps and today I noticed my lips were red like chapped. I have no idea what is going on and I too have been taking the same meds for years. I went to the dermotologist yesterday and she told me to take a bleach bath to wash away any pollen, or dust off my skin. It did work but my skin today was a little better because I noticed the pollen was low today. An allergist with first give you a breathing test to test for asthma and then probably a skin test of various allergens like grass, tree, and flower. Like I said this has been a terrible year for outside allergens.

The Following User Says Thank You to gigi11 For This Useful Post:
Ivorygirl (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 04:54 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: What's Going On Here.....This is Scarey

I took Aleve for years until I started getting welts from it. Stopped it and went back to Meloxicam. Now I am beginning to get them every now and then but not like on the Aleve. You can develop an allergy to anything at any time. Sounds like the meds to me. You may just have to swap around off and on.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Ivorygirl (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User
Re: What's Going On Here... This is Scarey

You know I took a DNA test to find out what medication I am allergic and it worked out excellent - the hospital has my records and my doctor and they know what I am allergic to. I had no idea I was allergic to Nexium, and blood thinners. So I am glad I took the test.

The Following User Says Thank You to gigi11 For This Useful Post:
Ivorygirl (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
(male)

Liquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB UserLiquidplasma HB User

Sounds more like you have a food intolerence and or food allergy ( big difference between the two). That's my opinion though and I'm no doctor.What causes your back pain ? Disk ,past accident?

The Following User Says Thank You to Liquidplasma For This Useful Post:
Ivorygirl (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
(female)

Ivorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB User

Wow, thank you all for your replies.....

I didn't know that they can do a blood test to determine an allergy to meds.....I want to figure this out soon.

I continue to do well with no more reactions on the Allegra 180mgs with Benadryl once in the afternoon shortly before the lips swelled up and again at bedtime.

I have been on ice with my back.....I have Degernative Disc Disease of L4-L5 and L5-S1 for past 26 years with osteoarthritis of back, knees, and feet as well.

So I am having a pretty rough time of it......I can only take extra strength tylenol until I see the allergist on Friday.

I don't know about a food allergy, I haven't eaten anything different but I guess you can always develop a food allergy from what I understand.

I am hoping that we can figure this out ASAP....I'm actually afraid of a 3rd reaction so getting down to the bottom of this is my priority.

Oh and I also was exposed to my daughter's boyfriend's new puppy who licked me all over my face and has ringworm on it's nose but from what I read it takes a few weeks to breakout after exposure and the puppy was over only a week before my symptoms so I will discuss that with the allergist. Also, I don't think I would have a rash/hives that come and go with ringworm and I don't think it would respond to the antihistamines either.

So I have another two days before the allergist and hopefully we'll figure this all out.

~ Ivory

Old 05-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
(female)

I saw the allergist and plan was to do a slew of bloodwork to identify any conditions that may have brought about the hives and lip swelling (autoimmune disorders such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid conditions, Vit D deficiency, Lymes etc) & aso test from some food allergies.

Plan is to meet again in 2 weeks once the results are back.

Dod decided to incorporate perscription strength Motrin in for back issues and continue on Allegra for 6-8 weeks and re-introduce meds in slowly. The Motrin is also a NSAID so we still have to be on

I was also prescribed a 2 pack Epi-pen to carry in case another allergic reaction occurs and instructed how to use it.

Didn't realize that bloodwork would involve 15 tubes being drawn

Meanwhile, I was singing some Karaoke yesterday and out of breath and then when my hubby was spraying windex to clean a window my eyes started burning and I had some difficulty breathing with coughing.

I had to go outside to get some fresh air and was quite upset at having this reaction.

After the fresh air I was better but something is going on......I never had this happen before although about 9 years ago I had Whooping cough!!

I am fine now and will bring this up again with the Allergist when we meet again or call if it happens again.

IF anyone knows what may have brought that on I'd appreciate it but this is all scarey because until we figure this out and identify what's going on and causing all this, anything can happen!!

Thanks for listening....Ivory

Old 05-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

If you wonder why you had such a reaction to the windows being cleaned, and, if your allergist did not tell you, you most likely have an sensitivity to chemicals and this often walks hand in hand with allergies. I have both, so speak from experience. Your dr. seems to want to do a lot of tests; am curious as to whether a scratch test, which is, usually, done for allergies, would do the trick. In the meantime, if I were you, I would stay clear of chemicals such as bleach, window cleaning and buy detergent that is chemical free. Perfume is another thing that can trigger your problem and your allergist can tell if you have this sensitivity just by a scratch test.

The Following User Says Thank You to danabarb For This Useful Post:
Ivorygirl (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
(female)

Thanks, Danabarb for your post.......the reaction to the Windex took place after seeing the allergist. I am documenting anything that occurs until I meet with her again on the 17th.

I am foreign to Allergy testing and what to expect......that's why I came here figuring people like you would be able to give me a better understanding of what to expect throughout this entire process.

We sustained alot of damage from hurricane Sandy, in fact we are one of the few houses in our area that is habitable.

Luckily we were on higher ground and the waters only got into our garage and crawlspace.

It did bring damage to the subflooring as well and the entire ductwork to our heating/ac system as well as the burner and 2 AC units.

We dried everything out immediately and pulled out all the insulation and anything that was wet and bleached out the entire garage and crawl space.

At present we are having all the duct work and damage replaced....good timing because I told them to do whatever is necessary to make the system Allergen preventative whether it be installing extra HEPA filtering etc.

Nobody else in the household is symptomatic so I doubt it has anything to do with the hurricane damage but I have alerted my allergist to this nonetheless as we try to figure it all out.

Thanks again for helping me try to get to the bottom of this.....it still is scary since even on the Allegra I feel hoarse and my eyes are a bit grainy and I find myself wiped out even though the doctor told me the Allegra isn't suppose to make you feel that way.

~ Ivory

Old 05-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

TYpically you would have a skin scratch test for environmental allergies and a blood test for food allergies. They typically scratch your back with the local known offending allergens (trees, grasses, mold, etc) to see if there is any reaction. The larger the reaction (welt) the greater the allergy. The blood test is a simple draw of blood with results later.

As for the Windex issue, it could be that since you were already having problems, you overreacted to the spray. It may be that you wouldn't again if the other allergies were under control.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Titchou; 05-08-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorygirl View Post
Thanks, Danabarb for your post.......the reaction to the Windex took place after seeing the allergist. I am documenting anything that occurs until I meet with her again on the 17th.

I am foreign to Allergy testing and what to expect......that's why I came here figuring people like you would be able to give me a better understanding of what to expect throughout this entire process.

We sustained alot of damage from hurricane Sandy, in fact we are one of the few houses in our area that is habitable.

Luckily we were on higher ground and the waters only got into our garage and crawlspace.

It did bring damage to the subflooring as well and the entire ductwork to our heating/ac system as well as the burner and 2 AC units.

We dried everything out immediately and pulled out all the insulation and anything that was wet and bleached out the entire garage and crawl space.

At present we are having all the duct work and damage replaced....good timing because I told them to do whatever is necessary to make the system Allergen preventative whether it be installing extra HEPA filtering etc.

Nobody else in the household is symptomatic so I doubt it has anything to do with the hurricane damage but I have alerted my allergist to this nonetheless as we try to figure it all out.

Thanks again for helping me try to get to the bottom of this.....it still is scary since even on the Allegra I feel hoarse and my eyes are a bit grainy and I find myself wiped out even though the doctor told me the Allegra isn't suppose to make you feel that way.

~ Ivory
I just reread my letter and see that I forgot to tell you that I am on Allegra and feel as if it does NOTHING, so you are not alone on that issue. Actually, no allergy drug works for me, as of yet, but I am very glad I get the allergy injections. You seem to have a lot of dampness and dampness will bring out the mold, which drives me up the wall.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
(female)

Well I met with the Allergist yesterday and the blood work seems to show some concerning abnormalities.

My Vitamin D levels came back low 28 showing a slight deficiency. I was given a script for Vitamin D3 50,000 IU to be taken once a week for 8 weeks. A repeat blood check will be done after that.

Most concerning was that my ANA test came back 4x higher at 1:160 with a Nucleolar pattern as well as an elevated C3 and CH50 which is indicative of some type of autoimmune disorder.

My IgE levels were also quite high (3 times the normal) but all the allergy testing was negative.

So the allergist feels that it is important to see a Rheumatologist to help figure out what's going on.

She feels that I definitely have something going on that needs checking out.....Lupus, Scleroderma, Sjorgens and Fibromyalgia were mentioned but again only futher testing will tell.

So it's off to the Rheumy with me.......I am concerned of course and wondering what's going on.......my GP agrees that we need to have things checked out and meanwhile wants me to continue with Allegra and Motrin...when I told him the Motrin wasn't helping well enough for my discomfort he said that he wanted to wait to see what the Rheumy has to say and to increase my Motrin and if that doesn't help go to Aleve.

Also, when I saw my GP we were both surprised to find that I had a temp of 101.5 even on the Motrin.

So it's still a mystery, I am wondering if anyone here has any insight into what may be going on.

Thanks for listening.....I may jump over to the autoimmune disorder board if they have one here....

~ Ivory

Closed Thread