It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Allergies Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
(female)

betty333 HB User
Heat and humidity

I'm start thinking that my allergy is more related to the weather than to dust mites or anything else.
I've got this constant nasal congestion and the past few years my symptoms gone from bad to worse. Tried everything, sprays, tablets, vitamins, even had surgery, but no help.
I moved to Nth QLD, AU about 6 years ago. This place is hot and humid. I used to live in Sydney before and I always had allergies but nothing like that.
Recently I've travelled around in other countries, and my symptoms gone completely.
I also noticed that in air conditioned places I feel a little bit better.

To move to another place could be an option, but how do I know I won't have any allergies there. And it also would be very very costly.

This allergy drives me nutts and I start to run out of option.

Is your allergy related to your specific location?
Did any of you had to move because of that?

Thanks for feedback

Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Heat and humidity

I believe the Atmosphere plays a large part in Nasal Congestion.
I live in a very damp country and suffer N.C. When I go to hot dry countries my Nasal passages clear completely.
The only things that work for me are "Sudafed" liquid form and "Breathe Right" nasal strips which help the most.
I have an Air-Filter indoors which pulls in dust, pollen and pet-hair (I have cats) and blows out clean air.

Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
(female)

betty333 HB User
Unhappy Re: Heat and humidity

Thanks solofelix, it seems you've got the same problem as me.
I'm also very very allergic to cats, despite I love them, so keeping cats is out of the question.

You mentioned sudafed, do you take it occasionally?
For me it's the same, cold and flu type thing and decongestant sprays work but they no good for long term usage.

I just ordered the breath right strips, getting some free samples, :-) which is good as I'm really fed up spending so much money on things which don't work at all. Bought today zyrtec, (claratine did not do anyting either), so far still no effect at all.

Maybe moving to a dry area would be the best long term solution?
Middle of the desert maybe?

Last edited by betty333; 05-29-2013 at 10:45 PM.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:56 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

It could take several days before you seen any benefit from the zyrtec. If you are having severe symptoms, you can take 2 a day - one AM and one PM - till you catch up with the symptoms. And most of the nasal sprays (not the steroid ones) will cause rebound congestion if you use them for more than 2-3 days. So keep that in mind as well, You may want to try the saline sprays or rinses instead.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I agree, be very wary of non-steroid nasal sprays.
Many years ago I found out the results of using them. I had to keep using them more and more to get the minimal relief and in the end I got so I was so blocked that I couldn't hardly swallow or hear properly.
I suffered months of misery before I could breathe again properly. As Tichou said 2-3 days, or you will find yourself even more congested.
The ones your Dr recommends are the ones for long term use.

Solofelix.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:32 AM   #6
(female)

betty333 HB User

Is it possible to be allergic simply to the moisture?
Today I switched on the air con, though it's winter here (tropical) so the temperatures are around 20-25 C
After about 10 min. I started to feel some improvement, my nose was just somewhat stuffed, but not completely blocked.
I'm wondering if it is it possible to be allergic to the moisture and that's why no meds would work?

I have air con only in my bedroom. It would be hard to aircon all the house, but even if I did, what do I do when I go outside?

What would you do? Does your allergy get better in air conditioned places?
Instead of sprays, some portable aircon cooling nose stuff would be much nicer ;-

Last edited by betty333; 05-31-2013 at 02:35 AM.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:02 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Have you been tested for allergies? Considered injections?

Old 05-31-2013, 05:05 AM   #8
(female)

betty333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Have you been tested for allergies? Considered injections?
Yes, been tested, usual stuff, dust mites cats. No pollen (which I doubt, wondering how reliable these tests are...)
ENT doesn't recommend injections, and figure out what else I am allergic too. No testing for everything - he said
I recon it's the air.
I see how I go with air con on all night.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:24 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Well, if your problem is in the house without the air on, then the dust mites for sure are part of the problem. Why doesn't he recommend injections? Or am I misreading your post? It appears to me that you said you did react to some of the allergens.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 AM   #10
(female)

betty333 HB User

Quote:
Well, if your problem is in the house without the air on, then the dust mites for sure are part of the problem. Why doesn't he recommend injections? Or am I misreading your post? It appears to me that you said you did react to some of the allergens.
Yes that's true, but he said that because I have the same symptoms when I go down to the beach, I must be allergic to something else, but he doesn't have a clue to what. According to the test I 'm allergic somewhat to dust mites, but it's not drastic. And also how come I had no symptoms, none or what so ever when I was travelling around and slept in many different hotel /motels etc. Also true, I don't have great confidence in my ENT or any doctor as a matter of fact.
The only helpful info I found on forums like this :-)

Old 05-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Just the dust mites and nothing else?

Old 05-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #12
(female)

betty333 HB User

Quote:
Just the dust mites and nothing else?
Just cat hair, but I don't have cats.
That's according to the test, also had blood test a while ago, didn't show anything else either.
That's why I'm saying the test is not reliable. There are 100s of different trees here, bacteria, fungus living in this humid climate, who know which one triggers it. I should go to different cities and see whether I get allergy there too, but medicare won't finance this little experience, and I can't afford this either.
My ENT said, there is another guy coming from Brisbane who does allergy tests, but he said that he does exactly the same test, so no much point having it done again.
(at least he bulked billed for this, not for the surgery which costed me $4000!)

Old 06-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Yes, it is possible to be allergic to moisture because moisture brings out the mold. I have not read all the letters, but if you have not seen an allergist, it would be a good idea to go and be tested. Mold is all over the place-outside, under carpets and you name it.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
(female)

peachcelia HB User

Betty333, you are singing my song!!!

Not necessarily the heat & humidity, but everything else is spot on...my doctor is not particularly helpful, nor interested for that matter...I get the distinct impression she thinks I am being a drama queen, despite the fact my life is seriously compromised by these allergies!

On MY insistence she sent me to be tested but like you nothing much came up..slight reaction to dustmites (which apparently 85% of the population has ), no reaction to pollens (an explanation of why I can no longer garden, or walk in the bush etc, would be great) etc etc etc.....which has led me to believe that these tests are next to useless!

My allergies are have got to the point where they occur 24/7, 365 days...no matter what the weather, & it seems absolutely no help is available...I take daily antihistamines (supposed to be once a day, but I need to take twice in a 24 hr period)..nasal sprays, preventative inhaler (which gives me thrush in the throat) + blue inhalers to use as needed....none of which work more than in a minimal way!
I asked my doctor yesterday to give me the injection I have read about which supposedly gives 3 months of relief, but she refused...droned on about bone thinning et al, but I got the feeling that it was more cost related (it would be free, & our govt doesnt like that, & makes doctors jump through hoops ...sigh)....ignoring the fact that if I needed to give up work because of the debilitating issues around my allergies, it would cost the country a lot more in sickness benefit payouts!

Last year, I spent two months wandering about Vietnam & Cambodia...from the 3rd day, I no longer took any of my allergy meds, nor used my huffers...my nose was clear for the first time in 15 yrs!
My doctors explanation for this was that because of the humidity, these countries are like one big nebuliser ..

However....on a trip to Orange, NSW, last summer (with extreme humidity), for a week with my son, I was a sopping, dripping mess the entire time!
It was so bad on a trip to the Blue Mountains (go figure...you would think all that Eucalyptus in the air would help ) I had such a bad attack I very nearly ended up in hospital! It was only a quick thinking pharmacist & some super strength Phenergan that saved the day!

I am beginning to think this is a first world problem, bought about by the chemicals that permeate everything in our lives!

I retire next year, & intend moving to Vietnam to live...its worth a shot, to give me a few years relief from the misery of these allergies!

Your posts on the ineffectiveness of allergy testing, & the general indifference/helplessness of the medical profession have been very helpful to me....
I was beginning to feel that I was just being a hypochondriacal weirdo...but...I am not ALONE!

Old 07-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
(female)

betty333 HB User

peachcelia, where do you live? I'm in Cairns.
I've just been to Sydney, just to test how I will react. Well, first 3-4 days the congestion was on and off, but more often badly congested. But then I noticed it's less and less congested and after a week I felt sort of OK.
(despite the humid, awful cold rainy weather and the very dusty house I was staying at with plenty of dust mites I guess..) -My allergy was not 100%, clear, but good enough not to take any decongestant.
I stayed only 10 days, unfortunately I had to come back. I'm not kidding, as soon as landed and got out from the terminal I felt my nose swelling again and next day the congestion got back.
I'm suspecting sugar cane or the chemicals used on it . We are surrounded here with the sugarcanes.

I tried a new stuff though, a capsaicin spray, called Rinar. It did the job, my nose was clear for a few days. But as per dosage instruction you only supposed to used it up to 3 days, so I stopped using it and the congestion got back.
I ordered another brand: sinol, it can be used as needed, but might give another go with Rinar as well.
Also order nasal allergy filter from ebay, still waiting, postage takes forever!

You lucky you can move to Vietnam, I'm a bit far from retirement.
For me the norther part worked better, in Saigon I started to feel the allergy a little.
We thinking going to Tassie. We'll spend some time there next summer and see how it goes.

peachcelia: how long have you been using nasal sprays? which ones?
I was told that sometimes it could take a few weeks to have any effect. I'm not in favor for steroids, I've got glaucoma family history and that would add to the risk.

About the steroid injection, I've got mix feelings. It's a high dosage, and could only last 2-3 weeks as I've read in some posts. I was also thinking about it, I will ask next time my ENT guy.

DOCTORS don't take us seriously!!!!!

Last edited by betty333; 07-04-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Reply Reply