It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2003, 06:03 PM   #1

summer603 HB User
Post Hormone Imbalance - herbs?

I'm almost absolutely positive that I have a hormone imbalance. I had every intention of scheduling a doctor's appointment so that I could be given something to fix it, but I've been having some doubts.. I know that people with hormone imbalances are usually given birth control pills, but I don't really feel comfortable with taking that because of the possible side effects. Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is - has anyone used herbs to help with their hormone imbalance? What type of herb(s) did you use? And, how well did it work for you (including how quickly you saw results)? Please respond! Thanks.

Old 11-05-2003, 09:51 AM   #2

heloisahelena HB User
I didn´t want to take birth control pills for hormone imbalance either, so I´ve been taking Vitex and primrose oil for about 2 years. This combination had a great effect on my period (started to be regular) and on the intensity of menstrual flow. Vitex is also good on hyperprolactinemy cases.
The thing is that it took me about 6 months to see these good results, so you have to be persistent!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2003, 10:35 AM   #3

summer603 HB User
Elizabeth2nd - Soo.. with homeopathy you're given a special remedy made just for you, and do you take the "mixture" just once? Or what? And, about how much does this cost? Sorry, I'm just trying to understand the whole idea of it. I've only heard the word "homeopathy" here and there a few times - other than that I know nothing about it.

heloisahelena - Does Vitex just contain Chaste Tree? I was trying to find the ingredients, and that's about all that I saw. Is there any other herb in there? And, do you take Primrose oil in capsule form?

Anyway, thanks for both of your posts. Please reply. More input from anyone else is greatly appreciated also.

Old 11-25-2003, 08:41 AM   #4

heloisahelena HB User
Re: Hormone Imbalance - herbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer603
heloisahelena - Does Vitex just contain Chaste Tree? I was trying to find the ingredients, and that's about all that I saw. Is there any other herb in there? And, do you take Primrose oil in capsule form?
Hi, thanks for taking so long to answer... The Vitex capsules I take contain only Chaste berry. Primrose oil I take in capsules, 2 times a day. I guess 3 times a day is the recomended dosage, but I found my equilibrium this way.

Old 12-03-2003, 09:40 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere HB User
Talking Re: Hormone Imbalance - herbs?

summer603 --- Chaste berry is the same thing as Vitex Agnus-Castus

As for hormone problems, it really depends on age and/or what has been removed from the body.

Old 12-04-2003, 04:04 AM   #6

RMiller HB User

Quote:
I'm almost absolutely positive that I have a hormone imbalance. I had every intention of scheduling a doctor's appointment so that I could be given something to fix it, but I've been having some doubts.. I know that people with hormone imbalances are usually given birth control pills, but I don't really feel comfortable with taking that because of the possible side effects. Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is - has anyone used herbs to help with their hormone imbalance? What type of herb(s) did you use? And, how well did it work for you (including how quickly you saw results)? Please respond! Thanks.
Have your doctor run a blood test for DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) levels
DHEA is the most abundant hormone in the body and has to be present in sufficient quantities for the body's other hormones to function efficiently.
Low DHEA is probably the best indicator of aging and age related diseases.
Restoring DHEA to the levels we had in our twenties can prevent and possibly reverse ailments common to older age groups.

If you are low in DHEA you can use supplements, but have your levels checked first.
Forget the birth control pills.

Last edited by RMiller; 12-04-2003 at 04:05 AM.

Old 12-19-2003, 02:40 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I too get upset with the way doctors tend to think that birth control pills are a quick fix for so many things. I went to my doctor and he was nice enough to go into a little bit of detail regarding hormones and the female cycle, but still gave me a prescription for BC. I carried it around for an entire year in my bag, then relented. The 4 months i was on it were the most depressing, almost sending me suicidal. I have been on BC on a couple of other occasions, but haven't used it excessively. Each time i stop taking it, all my symptoms come back same, if not worse than they were prior to taking BC.

I then tried acupuncture, which releived a lot of my problems, but still have a couple of issues i would like to have resolved. Almost 3 yrs down the track, my doctor decides to ask if i've ever had a pelvic ultrasound and decides to send me off to have one done (which i'm getting done today actually).

Thanks on the info regarding homeopathy. I'll have to look into that. I'm willing to give anything a go which is of a more natural method. I'm afraid to take drugs which only mask the problem, but add on a heap of side effects!! Good luck to everyone else who is in the same boat.

Old 01-19-2004, 08:46 PM   #8
(female)

Susannah HB User

So, what are your hormone imbalance symptoms? I'm assuming a messed up cycle, since that what most of these herbs suggested are for. Do you have any acne, unwanted hair, or hair thinning? Are you overweight, or have extreme problems keeping your weight under control? If you have a really messed up cycle, it would be worth it to get the hormone tests run at the doctor, that will help you know how to treat yourself. I experienced amenorrhea (no cycles) for 3 years, and I finally got a lot of tests run, and it ends up, I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovaries), which is caused by an insulin imbalance. Anyway, I've cured myself with a good carb diet (South Beach Diet, refined carbs and sugar are REALLY bad for people like me), lots of fiber in my diet, and evening primrose oil. I also took saw palmetto for a little while, but that stopped helping and started messing it up again after a while (guess I got back in balance and didn't need its effects anymore). But, I definitely do recommend getting the tests run or at least looking online and seeing if any of the profiles fit you. If you're really athletic, then low body fat can cause problems in women, sometimes if you take evening primrose oil it can help that. If you don't eat much or are anorexic, your body kind of starts shutting itself down, and you can lose your cycle, sometimes just eating more can help (but sometimes, unfortunately, the damage done is permanent).

If you can post more about your specific situation, I'll try to be a little more specific in my recommendations.

Old 03-13-2004, 08:42 PM   #9

Hardrock HB User

Quote:
maca might help, a lot of research been done, read up on it?

Old 03-15-2004, 03:52 AM   #10
Inactive

NatApoth2003 HB User

Take a look at diindolylmethane (DIM) 80 - 120 mg. This is a cruciferous vegetable compound that's is relatively safe and useful in regulating hormone metabolism. The B-complex would be an excellent idea if you are currently taking BC. M

Old 03-15-2004, 06:31 AM   #11
(female)

Susannah HB User

Depending on the hormone issue, DIM can really mess you up. I have PCOS, and I went on that because I also had cervical dysplasia and DIM and Indole-3-Carbinol (which DIM is based on) have had really good results getting rid of cervical dysplasia. Well, what I didn't know when I started is that one of the ways DIM works is that it binds to your estrogen, decreasing the available estrogen in your body. What had happened was that I started on DIM and I started having vaginal bleeding (big clots when I went to the bathroom). This went on for a month until I found out about the DIM binding to estrogen and decided to quit taking it. A few days later, the bleeding stopped. So, it can definitely have bad side effects. Also, it can cause bone loss in some cases, because of the estrogen thing, estrogen is what causes your bones to build up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatApoth2003
Take a look at diindolylmethane (DIM) 80 - 120 mg. This is a cruciferous vegetable compound that's is relatively safe and useful in regulating hormone metabolism. The B-complex would be an excellent idea if you are currently taking BC. M

Old 03-16-2004, 02:30 AM   #12
Inactive

NatApoth2003 HB User

I'm curious where you read that DIM binds to estrogen and blocks calcium absorption. I3C is a precursor to DIM. DIM has no estrogenic properties and regulates estrogen metabolism/receptor sites, protecting the "good" estrogen and preventing "bad" estrogen metabolism. There is quite a bit controversy on whether or not it's a good practice to use a combination of I3C & DIM or one or the other alone. Since I3C conversion to DIM is unpredictable it's seems prudent to me that DIM alone carries less risk. While the status of ones hormone profile is critical in determining which corrective path to follow, we've seen good outcomes with the use of DIM alone. M

Old 03-16-2004, 03:55 PM   #13
Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

You might be interested in this discussion of estrogen dominance: [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=155701[/url]

Old 03-16-2004, 06:25 PM   #14
Inactive

NatApoth2003 HB User

Interesting thread on estrogen dominance. But that's not addressing the question of where you read DIM blocks estrogen. If you have a link or reference to that I'd be very interested in the info if you woudn't mind passing it on. Thanks in advance. M

Old 03-17-2004, 09:10 AM   #15
(female)

Susannah HB User

Umm, I can't really post links here. So, I've got links, but I don't know how to go about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatApoth2003
Interesting thread on estrogen dominance. But that's not addressing the question of where you read DIM blocks estrogen. If you have a link or reference to that I'd be very interested in the info if you woudn't mind passing it on. Thanks in advance. M

Closed Thread