It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2003, 07:42 PM   #1

Wairana HB User
Question are these good for kidney stone Hydrangea, Gravel Root, Marshmallow Root, Dandelion,?

I have history of kidney stones. Itís a gift from my father, who I loved very much. He died 2 months ago. In April of 2001 I had "extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy" in both kidneys ( 2500 shocks left kidney, 2500 shocks right kidney, and 1800 shocks bladder). I collected the gravels, and took it to the lab for analysis. The result was Calcium Oxalate. I did my follow ups every six mounts, since than I was clean. I moved out of Nevada and didnít have health insurance for a year. I was concern about my follow ups until last week.

I had sharp pain in my back that I could not resist. I went to the County Hospital (ER) and the doctor gave me blood, and IVP tests. I got the result of the tests ďCongratulations Abe you have a rock in your dickĒ in the last 12 mounts of not doing follow ups my kidneys formed stones again. Now, I have medical for six months (Adult basic care). I have an appointment with Urologist in one week. He is the same dude who suggested that my father should remove both of his kidneys 10 years prior to his death. Anyways, I reduced consumption of meat, salt, sodas, caffeine, and dietary oxalate. I drink almost a gallon of water every day.

Now, I am thinking about following herbal treatment, and the formula I have chosen, Hydrangea, Gravel Root, Marshmallow Root, Dandelion, and Cornsilk + Beelith (vitamin B6 and magnesium). Before I start with this experiment, I am trying to find out side effects related with any of the herbs listed above. if there is any suggestion or anyone interested to know the results, Please reply.

The following user gives a hug of support to Wairana:
Judy Brown (10-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2003, 11:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere HB User
Talking Re: are these good for kidney stone Hydrangea, Gravel Root, Marshmallow Root, Dandelion,?

There are several forms of kidney stones. Most stones are formed from either uric acid or calcium oxalate.
Nettle leaf is good for dissolving both types of stones. Nettle leaf is excellent for removing uric acid from the body, and it supports the kidneys.
Small doses of juniper berries also stimulate the excretion of uric acid.
Phyllanthus is used to dissolve both kidney and gallstones.
Celery seed, cherry juice and cherry stem tea also remove uric acid.
Vitamin B6 is also helpful for dissolving kidney stones.
Of course drink plenty of water and cut out most protein from the diet. Avoid all alcohol. Alcohol inhibits the excretion of uric acid, and beer in particular is high in purines that convert to uric acid increasing the uric acid load.
For oxalate stones I recommend nettle, and increasing your magnesium, not calcium, intake. Also avoid cooked kale and spinach, as well as chocolate, and other high oxalate foods.
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is broken down in the intestines in to oxalates. In some individuals these oxalates can be absorbed increasing the risk of oxalate stones. On the other hand ascorbic acid does help to dissolve phosphate stones.
You should also be checked for possible contributing factors, such as hemolytic anemia.

Old 12-15-2003, 03:24 PM   #3
Inactive

NatApoth2003 HB User
Re: are these good for kidney stone Hydrangea, Gravel Root, Marshmallow Root, Dandelion,?

Commonly calcium stones are caused by a pH that's out of wack. Stay as far away from calcium (especially carbonate form) as you can. Look at every label of every supplement you take to see if it's there. Many use is as at binder of sorts. There is a product called Acid-A-Cal that helps to balance your pH and the metabolism of calcium. We've used it with clients to dissolve calcium bone spurs and kidney/gallstone. Takes a couple months to get the job done, but it has worked. The Chianca Piedra (another name for phyllanthus) is also quite reliable. I would more likely find the root cause though. M

Old 12-16-2003, 06:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Re: are these good for kidney stone Hydrangea, Gravel Root, Marshmallow Root, Dandelion,?

I've used marshmallow root for years. It was one of my first herbs that I made teas from, by simmering them on the stove. It's great for people with urinary problems. I'm not sure about the kidney stones, although.

When I was so sick, and "sick" of being treated by doctors that did nothing for me, or made me worse, I took a multitude of herbs similar to your formula (for urinary problems - I'm familar with the herbs you mention).

They were so good for me (very slow healing, although), that I continued taking them for years, until I found the source of all my problems. I had my mercury fillings removed about 10 years ago (it's a long story), and now I'm cured. But until I could discover the source of my illness, the herbs helped immensly.

The interesting thing about herbs is that they may be able to help the body heal itself. If they help, you may or may not know why...there are a lot of things medical science doesn't understand. Anyway, in the meantime you could possibly help yourself.

Are you going to make herbal teas like I had done? I would refrigerate the herbal teas after preparing them, and they would last about three or four days. I would take them twice a day, once in the morning, and once at night. About once a week, I would not take any herbs that day, and then start again.

You might want to start with a small dosage at first. The herbs can help clean up toxins. And if you take too many, you could have some mild side affects. When I took more than two cups of tea a day (that is 3 cups a day), I started getting red itchy rashes. I had to back down to my 2-cups-per-day schedule.

Let us know how this is working out for you. I wish I could help more, but really all I can do is relate to what I did.... It was a lot of trial and error.

Old 12-16-2003, 11:21 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere HB User
Talking Re: are these good for kidney stone Hydrangea, Gravel Root, Marshmallow Root, Dandelion,?

rhody -- You would find more benefits from your herbs if you pour boiling
water over your herbs, then cover them and let brew for 10 to 20 minutes
instead of simmering them on the stove. Simmer or boiling on the stove looses
the vitamins and mineral content. Also stay away from aluminum pots for
making herbal tea's. You should also learn Kinesiology (muscle testing),
it will help you greatly in know what causes your itchy rashes.
Next time your sick or treating a condition, try making a quart jar of tea and taking a sip hourly throughout the day, it helps to keep the herbs working hard
for you.

Old 12-17-2003, 12:51 PM   #6
(male)

Bob2 HB User

Wairana

I don't know anything about the herbs you mention in relation to kidney stone. The author of The Green Pharmacy, Dr. Duke, wrote another book about Essential Herbs. In that book he talked Celery Seed and Celery Stalks being good for Kidney Stones. You should get that book and read about these two things that could help you. Dr. Duke also talked about some type of cherry that is good. I would suspect that Celery stalks is the cheapest among these three options.

Old 12-17-2003, 05:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere,

Yes, you are right, about being careful to not cook away the vitamins and minerals etc. When I simmered the herbs, it was at the lowest possible temperature, and the cooking pot was covered. Often I would not simmer them longer than one hour (or sometimes maybe an hour and a half).

The rashes often occurred in the areas of my pain, so I assumed that there was a connection between the two. I would never think of using aluminum for cooking (although I did use them about 30 years ago...and then stopped). I linked my illness to my mercury fillings, so I can only can gather that the rashes were somehow these toxins and/or others being released from my system (that's strictly a guess).

Once when I saw a dermatologist, he didn't know what to think of these rashes (these were my non-itchy types). I thought he said that something was trying to come to the surface through the pores, and the blood vessels were breaking. Later, I talked to him about it, and he didn't remember saying that. There's so many things that I wonder about and don't have the answers. But I do know that I'm cured to this day, after years of experimentation.

Last edited by rhody; 12-17-2003 at 09:17 PM.

Old 12-17-2003, 09:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere,

I should also add...you're right again.

From what I read, the herbs are most effective, if you sip them during the day rather than taking them twice a day like I did when I was taking copious amounts of herbs. Well, that was more than 10 years ago, before I had my mercury fillings removed.

Now, I only take these herbs occasionally. Thanks for the comments. I'm reminded each time I visit this section, of the herbs that I took...the mysteries behind them, the healing, the wondering...the adventures of getting well outside of mainstream medicine.

Old 12-20-2003, 11:45 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere HB User

I like stainless steel, and cast iron for cookware.

For herbs: Use a teapot of glass, ceramic or earthenware, not aluminum. Aluminum can negate the effect of the herbs as the metal dissolves into the
hot liquid and gets into the body.

There's been some misunderstanding about combinations of herbs on other post,
I'll try and clear up the subject for those that don't understand.

1) Each formula compound contains two to five primary agent herbs, that are in the mixture for specific purposes. Since all body parts, and most disease symptoms, are interrelated, it is wise to have herbs which affect each part of the problem. For example, in a prostate healing formula, there would be herbs to dissolve sediment, anti-inflammatory herbs, tissue-toning and strengthening herbs, and herbs with antibiotic properties.
2) A combination allows inclusion of herbs that can work at different stages of need.
3) A combination of several herbs with similar properties can increase the latitude of effectiveness, not only through a wider range of activity, but also reinforcing herbs that were picked too late or too early, or grew in adverse weather conditions for full potency.
4) No two people, or their bodies, are alike. The expectation of good response is augmented with a combination of herbs.
5) Finally, some very potent herbs, such as Capsicum, Lobelia, Sassafras, Mandrake, Tansy, Canada Snake Root, Wormwood, Woodruff, Poke Root, and Rue are beneficial in small amounts and as catalysts, but should not be used alone.

Herbs are a concentrated foods, and are identified by the body as such. They are quickly assimilated by digestive enzyme activity. With a few exceptions, they should be taken before or with meals.

One other thing I've seen and heard from people:
As with other natural therapies, there is sometimes a "healing crisis" in an herbal healing program. This is traditionally known as the "Law of Cure", and simply means that sometimes you will seem to get worse before you get better. The body frequently begins to eliminate toxic wastes quite heavily during the first stages of a system cleansing therapy.
This is particularly true in the traditional three to four day fast that many people use to begin a serious healing program. Herbal therapy without a fast works more slowly and gently. Still, there is usually discomfort and weakness felt as disease poisons are released into the bloodstream to be flushed away. Strength and relief shortly return when this process is over.

Chronic and long standing degeneration conditions will, of course take longer. A good general rule of thumb is one month of healing for every year of the problem.

Closed Thread